Author Topic: Grand Pacific reports  (Read 9488 times)

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
Re: Grand Pacific reports
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »
GP517 - thanks so much for your very thoughtful review - I can’t wait to try them - my local dealer is having the new model display show in mid May.  The videos sound amazing - the one thing I want to see is whether the medium gauge strings are going to be too much work for the light fingerstyle I like.  And I hope they have some of the redesigned grand concerts too!

You are most welcome.  I flatpick and fingerpick and think the GP does very well at both. I said before that I think the guitar is very responsive, but it is also very efficient. The sustain is very good too. So I think light fingerstyle would work very well. Regarding the medium strings, have you tried the "true medium" gauges that John Pearse and D'Addario offer? The G,D and A strings are of a slightly smaller gauge than "normal" mediums, and they offer a bit less tension. The makers also say that overall string-to-string balance and tension are better with the true medium configuration. If I remember correctly, the Elixers that came on the 517 felt like they had pretty high tension compared to the Pearse set I put on. I much preferred the true medium gauge, and I think they provide plenty of volume.  I too am very interested in the grand concerts. I have two Martin mahogany 12-fretters, which I love, and bet the 522 with V-class bracing would sound amazing! I can't do any more buying for awhile, but that shouldn't stop me from playing other guitars...

Thanks for the suggestions of strings.  Those true medium strings sound alot like the Elixir HD lights - the HD lights have medium G, B and high E strings, with the lower strings remaining light.  I mistakenly picked up a set of these instead of the regular lights and placed them on my Ibanez.   They are slightly more work than lights but they made a loud guitar even louder.  I saw a youtube video with Music Villa and Lawrence Juber and his Martin signature strings sound more like the Pearse option you describe above. 

GP517

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
GP517 - thanks so much for your very thoughtful review - I can’t wait to try them - my local dealer is having the new model display show in mid May.  The videos sound amazing - the one thing I want to see is whether the medium gauge strings are going to be too much work for the light fingerstyle I like.  And I hope they have some of the redesigned grand concerts too!

You are most welcome.  I flatpick and fingerpick and think the GP does very well at both. I said before that I think the guitar is very responsive, but it is also very efficient. The sustain is very good too. So I think light fingerstyle would work very well. Regarding the medium strings, have you tried the "true medium" gauges that John Pearse and D'Addario offer? The G,D and A strings are of a slightly smaller gauge than "normal" mediums, and they offer a bit less tension. The makers also say that overall string-to-string balance and tension are better with the true medium configuration. If I remember correctly, the Elixers that came on the 517 felt like they had pretty high tension compared to the Pearse set I put on. I much preferred the true medium gauge, and I think they provide plenty of volume.  I too am very interested in the grand concerts. I have two Martin mahogany 12-fretters, which I love, and bet the 522 with V-class bracing would sound amazing! I can't do any more buying for awhile, but that shouldn't stop me from playing other guitars...

Thanks for the suggestions of strings.  Those true medium strings sound alot like the Elixir HD lights - the HD lights have medium G, B and high E strings, with the lower strings remaining light.  I mistakenly picked up a set of these instead of the regular lights and placed them on my Ibanez.   They are slightly more work than lights but they made a loud guitar even louder.  I saw a youtube video with Music Villa and Lawrence Juber and his Martin signature strings sound more like the Pearse option you describe above.

Yes, I had intended to also mention the Juber monel strings. I play Martin monel strings on my D-28, and think they sound great after they are played in for about a week. In my experience they take a long time to break in, but once they do, they sound good for a really long time!

Violeiro

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
I have changed the strings to John Pearse light, and it is truly light years better...lol. It is a bit brighter, I feel more sustain and the play-ability is much better IMO vs the medium strings. No loose of volume at all IMO.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »
V-class doesn't take longer to break in, but the Builder's Edition guitars all have roasted tops, which will make their changed more subtle as they've already opened up some. New guitars ARE tighter and can change pretty quickly no matter what. I've tried a wide variety of strings on my 517 so far. At first I felt like Elixirs were too bright, so I tried nickel bronze, which seemed to loose all the body of the guitar. Then I tried EJ17s which were amazing for 3 days and lost all tone - which is what always happened with those string. I tried Elixir HD lights for a couple months, and liked them, and now have balanced tension nickel bronze on for a bit, which don't seem to have any of the problem of the first set. I'm just trying the gamut of things for fun. The guitar has definitely opened up. I've had it since December though, and it's become my main guitar.

They say that timing is everything, and I am lucky enough to have purchased the last GP 517 BE WHB currently in stock with Sweetwater. Although I am a frequent visitor here, I registered today in order to tell you all a bit about my experience with the 517. By way of introduction I have been playing guitar for over 30 years and own 10+ acoustics including a Martin D-28 custom, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and a 1991 Taylor 515 Ltd. (a spruce over mahogany jumbo).

I am not sure if I am courageous or foolhardy, but decided to purchase the GP 517 without ever having played this model. I love the tone and playability of Taylor guitars, but always wished they would make a model with more of a vintage sound. When the most recent Wood and Steel arrived, I thought "here's exactly what I have been waiting for" and so took the leap of faith. My guitar arrived a little over two weeks ago.

The brown western floral pattern on the case may not be to everyone's liking, but I think it looks cool and distinctive. Also, this case, manufactured by Taylor, is the tightest fitting case I have ever owned. I literally have to place the guitar in the right spot and push it down into the case. It's going to do a terrific job of protecting the guitar.

The fit and finish of the guitar, as expected, are excellent. The Wild Honey Burst finish is a little darker brown around the top edges than I was expecting, but is beautiful. There is considerable silking visible on the spruce top, and the mahogany back and sides are straight and uniformly grained. The guitar is very light, and all of the Builder's Edition comfort features make this a guitar that you want to hold tight into your body.

The neck was surprisingly a bit beefier than any other Taylor I have played. I love it! For my hand, it is the most comfortable neck that I have ever played on of any brand. This is also the first Taylor that I have played with the V-class bracing.

Now to the scary part. When I first strummed the guitar, my heart sank. It was very quiet in the trebles, and the bass sounded thuddy and muddy. My first thought was to send it back. But after I calmed down a bit, I remembered how tight and sterile my straight-braced D-28 sounded 14 years ago when I got it, and how powerful and warm that guitar sounds today. So I decided to change the strings from the Elixers it came with for a set of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze New Mediums, and play it some more before deciding whether to return it. I am so glad I did.

I took some ridicule on another guitar site for saying that after a week of hard playing, the guitar has opened up to a noticeable degree. After two weeks, it is getting better and better, but I know it still has a long way to go before it reaches its full potential. I wonder, does V-class bracing take longer to break in than other Taylor bracing patterns?  What I can tell you is that after strumming it hard for about 3 days, the trebles became clearer and sweeter, and the bass deepened into a pleasing and powerful thump that I feel in my chest (just like with my D-28). When it starts reaching its stride, the tone of the 517 is absolutely intoxicating to me and my ears. I find myself playing for hours, and stop only when my fingers can't take anymore. But I barely make it out of the room before turning back for another 30 minutes to an hour of additional playing. I have not experienced this with any of my other acoustics. Still though, the first 10-15 minutes of every playing session begins with a somewhat quiet tone before it warms up and starts to sing. I detail this because I have read a number of posts on the interweb where players have got a chance to demo a new Grand Pacific and their reaction is "meh, it sounds quiet and sterile. I don't know what all the fuss is about." Well, actually having played one now for a couple weeks, I do understand the excitement surrounding this new Taylor, and urge those who are interested in this model to play it for more than 5 - 10 minutes before making up your mind.

The last thing that I want to mention is my perception of the V-class bracing. To my ear and subjective opinion, this guitar is more responsive to player and string input than any other guitar I have ever played. Also, if you play electric guitar and know what a compressor does, I feel that the 517 has a compressor built in. While there is still considerable dynamic range, the notes from top to bottom ring with uniform volume. While the bass is very present, so are the mids and trebles. The bass does not overpower, but is extremely supportive of the upper registers. In my humble opinion, this guitar is an exceptional player's instrument that adds a new and delightful flavor to the Taylor menu.

slaytallica

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
I was able to hear and play a few last week at Russo's Music in Asbury Park NJ. Taylor had a Showcase there.
I can say they sound just as beautiful as they look. They had all 3 versions there 317e, 517e & 717e Builders Editions and standards. The neck definitely felt a bit different but was very comfortable. Each has it's distinct character but were all very well balanced and tremendous tone.
Thought about buying one but ended up getting a 914ce which was my dream guitar.
Will probably pick up the 517e as I want to add a mahogany body to my Taylor Collection and the Western Honey Burst Mahogany Builders edition is absolutely gorgeous.

There is a video on youtube Russo Music has put up.

Here are some pictures of the event as well as my new girl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOjgrKcGyv8

Peace
SLAY

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 05:31:17 PM »
I stopped posting on that "other"forum, right after the V-Series bracing came out. There were threads that went for pages and pages of people saying how it sucked, how they hated it, it was the worst thing they'd ever seen etc, all before the guitar even hit the stores. The clincher for me was when one of my posts was deleted and I got scolded by a moderator when I simply wondered if any of them had actually ever even played the new guitars yet.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

MrYelnats

• Stanley backwards...
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
I stopped posting on that "other"forum, right after the V-Series bracing came out. There were threads that went for pages and pages of people saying how it sucked, how they hated it, it was the worst thing they'd ever seen etc, all before the guitar even hit the stores. The clincher for me was when one of my posts was deleted and I got scolded by a moderator when I simply wondered if any of them had actually ever even played the new guitars yet.

I read the "other" Forum as well, and it appears to me that the Taylor Grand Pacific and v-bracing in general has been condemned by brand specific snobbery before anyone gave it a fair chance or decent playtime. I'm a still hoping to see and play a 517 and 717 in the next month, and I will not be jaded by any haters on the "other" Forums  :)
-2018 312ce Limited NAMM Lutz over Blackwood
-2016 614ce with Florentine Cutaway
-2012 414ce Ovangkol
-Martin 00015SM
-Martin CS 000, Red Spruce VTS top, Guatemalan back/sides.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:27 PM »

I read the "other" Forum as well, and it appears to me that the Taylor Grand Pacific and v-bracing in general has been condemned by brand specific snobbery before anyone gave it a fair chance or decent playtime. I'm a still hoping to see and play a 517 and 717 in the next month, and I will not be jaded by any haters on the "other" Forums  :)

I have to laugh at all of the hate for Taylor and everything the company does on the other forum! Even if they played a GP and loved it, they’d still run it down over there trying to impress their Martin brothers and sisters! I don’t understand it. They’re guitars and we’re guitar players. I own a Bourgeois  and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played, but I’m gonna own a 916ce with a Florentine cutaway one day. There are so many awesome brands out there and Taylor is right at the top. Is that a threat to them?  Can they not handle the fact that there are other guitar brands other than C. F. Martin!!??
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:21:52 AM by tnfiddler »
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

GP517

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 11:06:03 PM »
V-class doesn't take longer to break in, but the Builder's Edition guitars all have roasted tops, which will make their changed more subtle as they've already opened up some. New guitars ARE tighter and can change pretty quickly no matter what. I've tried a wide variety of strings on my 517 so far. At first I felt like Elixirs were too bright, so I tried nickel bronze, which seemed to loose all the body of the guitar. Then I tried EJ17s which were amazing for 3 days and lost all tone - which is what always happened with those string. I tried Elixir HD lights for a couple months, and liked them, and now have balanced tension nickel bronze on for a bit, which don't seem to have any of the problem of the first set. I'm just trying the gamut of things for fun. The guitar has definitely opened up. I've had it since December though, and it's become my main guitar.

You make a good point about new guitars naturally being tighter. When I received my 517 in early March I checked the serial number and saw that the build was completed Jan. 14. So I was playing my guitar only a month and a half after it was finished and hung up to dry. That's a pretty new guitar! It is getting better every time I play it.  I also appreciate your comment about strings. Because the GP is so balanced, it seems like string changes really do influence the guitar more than I've noticed before. I really liked the phosphor bronze strings I had on, and have since tried Martin and John Pearse 80/20 bronze sets. The string tension on the Martin set was a bit high. The Pearse strings I have on now are more playable, and after the annoying 80/20 "sizzle" faded, I started getting a real nice bluegrass tone. Phosphor bronze for the singer/songwriters, and 80/20s for the grassers. I believe the GPs are going to be very versatile.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:19:05 PM by GP517 »

GP517

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 11:17:12 PM »
I was able to hear and play a few last week at Russo's Music in Asbury Park NJ. Taylor had a Showcase there.
I can say they sound just as beautiful as they look. They had all 3 versions there 317e, 517e & 717e Builders Editions and standards. The neck definitely felt a bit different but was very comfortable. Each has it's distinct character but were all very well balanced and tremendous tone.
Thought about buying one but ended up getting a 914ce which was my dream guitar.
Will probably pick up the 517e as I want to add a mahogany body to my Taylor Collection and the Western Honey Burst Mahogany Builders edition is absolutely gorgeous.

Beautiful 914! Wow.  Thanks for the photos and information about the Grand Pacifics! Was there any mention about the present scarcity of the 517 Builders Editions? After I bought mine from Sweetwater in early March, they haven't had another 517 in stock.

Violeiro

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »

I have to laugh at all of the hate for Taylor and everything the company does on the other forum! Even if they played a GP and loved it, they’d still run it down over there trying to impress their Martin brothers and sisters! I don’t understand it. They’re guitars and we’re guitar players. I own a Bourgeois  ow and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played, but I’m gonna own a 916ce with a Florentine cutaway one day. There are so many awesome brands out there and Taylor is right at the top. Is that a threat to them?  Can they not handle the fact that there are other guitar brands other than C. F. Martin!!??

I laugh too. Martin today, IMO, is a commodity guitar maker with less attention to quality trying to survive on the name the old Martin made when he came from Germany. I have not even idea now on how many different Martin models there are, they even make "custom" models to shops like GC at bulk, how can they maintain their QC up is a good question.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

dhodgeh

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
Hey all. 

Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I purchased a 717 BE a couple of days ago.  I had drifted towards dreadnoughts over the past couple of years, and took notice when the Grand Pacifics were introduced.  I really liked the looks of the guitar. Listened to all the reviews on YT, and walked away with the opinion that yes, these guitars do sound good, but not good enough to buy one site unseen.

So, I played the waiting game.  I had the occasion to visit Blues Angel Music in Pensacola on Friday, and they had a 317ce, a 517 BE, and a 717 BE in stock..

Passed on the 317, since I had no interest in electronics.  Played the 517 first, and the first thing I noticed was the new neck profile and just how playable the guitar was right off the rack.  It did sound good, but nothing that caused me any heartburn.

Played the 717, which was just as playable, but whoa, the tone was eye opening.  Much deeper with a wider range.  And the body just resonated with every strum.

Played the 517 again, then back to the 717, and the difference was not my imagination.  GAS took over at that point, and out came the credit card.

This guitar is has other things going for it other than the bracing and body shape.  The neck profile, graphite nut, satin finish, and cool case design contribute to well thought out package.

Andy did good on this one....

D
"There's a lot of music in songs...."

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »
Wow, now that is beautiful! It was nice that you had the opportunity to decide between the 3 during the same visit.
Congratulations!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
Beautiful guitar - love that back. Congrats!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

bigtim

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »

There is a video on youtube Russo Music has put up.

Here are some pictures of the event as well as my new girl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOjgrKcGyv8

Very Nice choice you made!! It looks awesome! I love the fretboard inlay.  Enjoy!!