Author Topic: Grand Pacific reports  (Read 9489 times)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Grand Pacific reports
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
Anyone played one yet? Let’s get some reports below on your impressions and review when you do!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: Grand Pacific reports
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
I had posted previously about a couple minutes with a 317, but not really enough time to form a good opinion. Definitely a lot different from my 314ce and surprisingly comfortable for a big guitar. Neck was so smooth I kept going an extra fret on each of my slides in the song I like to try first on most guitars.
Looking forward to spending more time with one when the opportunity arises. The sound was different from any Taylor I have played but I don’t think I could put it into words. Fantastic yet different guitar from El Cajon.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

xtremearmor

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
There are recently added videos on YouTube from N Stuff music and American Songwriter for the Grand Pacific, as well as an interesting review in print from American  Songwriter. 

And although I had trouble hearing him, there's an interview with George Gruhn about the Grand Pacific, also on YouTube.   It appears George scored himself a very custom Grand Pacific, perhaps a precursor to the 917.  Spoiler alert, he likes it.

The recording quality of the many GP videos on YouTube are kinda all over the map, but some of them are very much worth a listen.
2016 Custom Shop GA Engelmann/Wild Rosewood

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
There are recently added videos on YouTube from N Stuff music and American Songwriter for the Grand Pacific, as well as an interesting review in print from American  Songwriter. 

And although I had trouble hearing him, there's an interview with George Gruhn about the Grand Pacific, also on YouTube.   It appears George scored himself a very custom Grand Pacific, perhaps a precursor to the 917.  Spoiler alert, he likes it.

The recording quality of the many GP videos on YouTube are kinda all over the map, but some of them are very much worth a listen.

I'd LOVE to have a GP with a 900 series armrest!!!  I'm over all of the other "bling" aesthetics of the 900 series(took me awhile to realize it was just bling and didn't make people like the guitar anymore, it just pleased me), but I think their arm rests are the best option EVER!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
I just went and watched the video and it's got all of the 900 stuff EXCEPT the arm rest!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
I have one and I'm a big fan. I got it in December before they came out. https://youtu.be/owvOmlOCp1o

MrYelnats

• Stanley backwards...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
Nice review Gabriel. I enjoyed listening to Gretchen play and sing on the 517!
-2018 312ce Limited NAMM Lutz over Blackwood
-2016 614ce with Florentine Cutaway
-2012 414ce Ovangkol
-Martin 00015SM
-Martin CS 000, Red Spruce VTS top, Guatemalan back/sides.

bt55

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
I went to a local Taylor GP debut.  Played all three models and was impressed.  So impressed that I ordered a Builders Edition Sunburst 717!  They are keeping the GP’s in limited supply so no discounts on the horizon.
Taylor 814ce V Class, 717e BE BRW, 454ce, 520ce, 420, T5z
Martin D-18e
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM
Voyage Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Custom Stratocaster

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »

Here is the George Gruhn interview

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpUTjjJH-8

Road show is coming my way in May- hope to play this and the new grand concerts

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
Nice review Gabriel. I enjoyed listening to Gretchen play and sing on the 517!

Thanks! She does a great job and has a bright future, and a new record coming out in a couple weeks! I'm looking forward to making some more content with the other GP models when those arrive.

GP517

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
They say that timing is everything, and I am lucky enough to have purchased the last GP 517 BE WHB currently in stock with Sweetwater. Although I am a frequent visitor here, I registered today in order to tell you all a bit about my experience with the 517. By way of introduction I have been playing guitar for over 30 years and own 10+ acoustics including a Martin D-28 custom, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and a 1991 Taylor 515 Ltd. (a spruce over mahogany jumbo).

I am not sure if I am courageous or foolhardy, but decided to purchase the GP 517 without ever having played this model. I love the tone and playability of Taylor guitars, but always wished they would make a model with more of a vintage sound. When the most recent Wood and Steel arrived, I thought "here's exactly what I have been waiting for" and so took the leap of faith. My guitar arrived a little over two weeks ago.

The brown western floral pattern on the case may not be to everyone's liking, but I think it looks cool and distinctive. Also, this case, manufactured by Taylor, is the tightest fitting case I have ever owned. I literally have to place the guitar in the right spot and push it down into the case. It's going to do a terrific job of protecting the guitar.

The fit and finish of the guitar, as expected, are excellent. The Wild Honey Burst finish is a little darker brown around the top edges than I was expecting, but is beautiful. There is considerable silking visible on the spruce top, and the mahogany back and sides are straight and uniformly grained. The guitar is very light, and all of the Builder's Edition comfort features make this a guitar that you want to hold tight into your body.

The neck was surprisingly a bit beefier than any other Taylor I have played. I love it! For my hand, it is the most comfortable neck that I have ever played on of any brand. This is also the first Taylor that I have played with the V-class bracing.

Now to the scary part. When I first strummed the guitar, my heart sank. It was very quiet in the trebles, and the bass sounded thuddy and muddy. My first thought was to send it back. But after I calmed down a bit, I remembered how tight and sterile my straight-braced D-28 sounded 14 years ago when I got it, and how powerful and warm that guitar sounds today. So I decided to change the strings from the Elixers it came with for a set of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze New Mediums, and play it some more before deciding whether to return it. I am so glad I did.

I took some ridicule on another guitar site for saying that after a week of hard playing, the guitar has opened up to a noticeable degree. After two weeks, it is getting better and better, but I know it still has a long way to go before it reaches its full potential. I wonder, does V-class bracing take longer to break in than other Taylor bracing patterns?  What I can tell you is that after strumming it hard for about 3 days, the trebles became clearer and sweeter, and the bass deepened into a pleasing and powerful thump that I feel in my chest (just like with my D-28). When it starts reaching its stride, the tone of the 517 is absolutely intoxicating to me and my ears. I find myself playing for hours, and stop only when my fingers can't take anymore. But I barely make it out of the room before turning back for another 30 minutes to an hour of additional playing. I have not experienced this with any of my other acoustics. Still though, the first 10-15 minutes of every playing session begins with a somewhat quiet tone before it warms up and starts to sing. I detail this because I have read a number of posts on the interweb where players have got a chance to demo a new Grand Pacific and their reaction is "meh, it sounds quiet and sterile. I don't know what all the fuss is about." Well, actually having played one now for a couple weeks, I do understand the excitement surrounding this new Taylor, and urge those who are interested in this model to play it for more than 5 - 10 minutes before making up your mind.

The last thing that I want to mention is my perception of the V-class bracing. To my ear and subjective opinion, this guitar is more responsive to player and string input than any other guitar I have ever played. Also, if you play electric guitar and know what a compressor does, I feel that the 517 has a compressor built in. While there is still considerable dynamic range, the notes from top to bottom ring with uniform volume. While the bass is very present, so are the mids and trebles. The bass does not overpower, but is extremely supportive of the upper registers. In my humble opinion, this guitar is an exceptional player's instrument that adds a new and delightful flavor to the Taylor menu.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
They say that timing is everything, and I am lucky enough to have purchased the last GP 517 BE WHB currently in stock with Sweetwater. Although I am a frequent visitor here, I registered today in order to tell you all a bit about my experience with the 517. By way of introduction I have been playing guitar for over 30 years and own 10+ acoustics including a Martin D-28 custom, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and a 1991 Taylor 515 Ltd. (a spruce over mahogany jumbo).

I am not sure if I am courageous or foolhardy, but decided to purchase the GP 517 without ever having played this model. I love the tone and playability of Taylor guitars, but always wished they would make a model with more of a vintage sound. When the most recent Wood and Steel arrived, I thought "here's exactly what I have been waiting for" and so took the leap of faith. My guitar arrived a little over two weeks ago.

The brown western floral pattern on the case may not be to everyone's liking, but I think it looks cool and distinctive. Also, this case, manufactured by Taylor, is the tightest fitting case I have ever owned. I literally have to place the guitar in the right spot and push it down into the case. It's going to do a terrific job of protecting the guitar.

The fit and finish of the guitar, as expected, are excellent. The Wild Honey Burst finish is a little darker brown around the top edges than I was expecting, but is beautiful. There is considerable silking visible on the spruce top, and the mahogany back and sides are straight and uniformly grained. The guitar is very light, and all of the Builder's Edition comfort features make this a guitar that you want to hold tight into your body.

The neck was surprisingly a bit beefier than any other Taylor I have played. I love it! For my hand, it is the most comfortable neck that I have ever played on of any brand. This is also the first Taylor that I have played with the V-class bracing.

Now to the scary part. When I first strummed the guitar, my heart sank. It was very quiet in the trebles, and the bass sounded thuddy and muddy. My first thought was to send it back. But after I calmed down a bit, I remembered how tight and sterile my straight-braced D-28 sounded 14 years ago when I got it, and how powerful and warm that guitar sounds today. So I decided to change the strings from the Elixers it came with for a set of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze New Mediums, and play it some more before deciding whether to return it. I am so glad I did.

I took some ridicule on another guitar site for saying that after a week of hard playing, the guitar has opened up to a noticeable degree. After two weeks, it is getting better and better, but I know it still has a long way to go before it reaches its full potential. I wonder, does V-class bracing take longer to break in than other Taylor bracing patterns?  What I can tell you is that after strumming it hard for about 3 days, the trebles became clearer and sweeter, and the bass deepened into a pleasing and powerful thump that I feel in my chest (just like with my D-28). When it starts reaching its stride, the tone of the 517 is absolutely intoxicating to me and my ears. I find myself playing for hours, and stop only when my fingers can't take anymore. But I barely make it out of the room before turning back for another 30 minutes to an hour of additional playing. I have not experienced this with any of my other acoustics. Still though, the first 10-15 minutes of every playing session begins with a somewhat quiet tone before it warms up and starts to sing. I detail this because I have read a number of posts on the interweb where players have got a chance to demo a new Grand Pacific and their reaction is "meh, it sounds quiet and sterile. I don't know what all the fuss is about." Well, actually having played one now for a couple weeks, I do understand the excitement surrounding this new Taylor, and urge those who are interested in this model to play it for more than 5 - 10 minutes before making up your mind.

The last thing that I want to mention is my perception of the V-class bracing. To my ear and subjective opinion, this guitar is more responsive to player and string input than any other guitar I have ever played. Also, if you play electric guitar and know what a compressor does, I feel that the 517 has a compressor built in. While there is still considerable dynamic range, the notes from top to bottom ring with uniform volume. While the bass is very present, so are the mids and trebles. The bass does not overpower, but is extremely supportive of the upper registers. In my humble opinion, this guitar is an exceptional player's instrument that adds a new and delightful flavor to the Taylor menu.

I read your other post on the Martin guitars rule, Taylors are trash...I mean AGF and so far, you are about the only person on any forum that I give any credit to when it comes to the GP models! I just roll my eyes and laugh when all the bashing starts from people who's only experience with the GP is watching videos. Reading your post makes me want one even more!  Thank you for a great review that is very thorough and descriptive of every aspect of the guitar!  My Bourgeois SS is a mahogany back and sides, so I'm interested in a 717BE in the future.  Thanks again for a great review!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2

GP517

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »

I read your other post on the Martin guitars rule, Taylors are trash...I mean AGF and so far, you are about the only person on any forum that I give any credit to when it comes to the GP models! I just roll my eyes and laugh when all the bashing starts from people who's only experience with the GP is watching videos. Reading your post makes me want one even more!  Thank you for a great review that is very thorough and descriptive of every aspect of the guitar!  My Bourgeois SS is a mahogany back and sides, so I'm interested in a 717BE in the future.  Thanks again for a great review!!
[/quote]

Thank you tnfiddler! I decided to post my observations on a couple of different forums simply because it doesn't appear that there are very many people who actually own one and have had a chance to play the GP for more than a few minutes in a music store. I hope to provide a "public service" in getting the word out, but also want to be fair and accurate in what I say. I'll bet your Bourgeois SS is wonderful! I decided to go with the 517 because I already have two rosewood "dreads", but I have to be honest. When I get the 517 paid off, I do believe that I will be taking a really hard look at the 717 as well. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:06:44 PM by GP517 »

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 07:49:38 PM »
GP517 - thanks so much for your very thoughtful review - I can’t wait to try them - my local dealer is having the new model display show in mid May.  The videos sound amazing - the one thing I want to see is whether the medium gauge strings are going to be too much work for the light fingerstyle I like.  And I hope they have some of the redesigned grand concerts too! 

GP517

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
GP517 - thanks so much for your very thoughtful review - I can’t wait to try them - my local dealer is having the new model display show in mid May.  The videos sound amazing - the one thing I want to see is whether the medium gauge strings are going to be too much work for the light fingerstyle I like.  And I hope they have some of the redesigned grand concerts too!

You are most welcome.  I flatpick and fingerpick and think the GP does very well at both. I said before that I think the guitar is very responsive, but it is also very efficient. The sustain is very good too. So I think light fingerstyle would work very well. Regarding the medium strings, have you tried the "true medium" gauges that John Pearse and D'Addario offer? The G,D and A strings are of a slightly smaller gauge than "normal" mediums, and they offer a bit less tension. The makers also say that overall string-to-string balance and tension are better with the true medium configuration. If I remember correctly, the Elixers that came on the 517 felt like they had pretty high tension compared to the Pearse set I put on. I much preferred the true medium gauge, and I think they provide plenty of volume.  I too am very interested in the grand concerts. I have two Martin mahogany 12-fretters, which I love, and bet the 522 with V-class bracing would sound amazing! I can't do any more buying for awhile, but that shouldn't stop me from playing other guitars...