Author Topic: Grand Concert ...200 Series CE...Why Not Available as Standard Model  (Read 6478 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
I know this is probably a better question for Taylor, and I plan to call them. But, I'm really wishing to get into a GC, w/o paying big bucks. I'd really consider a 212ce, sunburst, w/ rosewood laminate back, like this one.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/214CESB.htm
I don't want a another GA (already have a a 414 that I love).
Anyone have any thoughts on why a 212ce wouldn't be a standard model?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

MR XXXXX

Re: Grand Concert ...200 Series CE...Why Not Available as Standard Model
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
I have actually asked this question at a Road Show.  The answer had to do with the 100/200 series being built in their Mexican factory, and they would need to set up a whole line or system for the body style.  Apparently the body style is not a big enough seller (or maybe they think it wouldn't be in these price points)  to go through all of that, but maybe someday.  At least that is what they said.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
Once someone asked Bob Taylor about Brazilian Rosewood (and this is 8-10 years ago when it was more widely available). Specially, why do we have to order a Presentation Series to get BRW? Why not just make an unadorned version available for less $$$$? He replied something to the effect of, "If you want my Brazilian Rosewood, I'm gonna sell you everything else I got with it!" I hope I'm not extrapolating this too far, but I think Taylor reserves certain "premium" features for more expensive guitars. Example: if you want a 1 3/4" nut you have to get at least a 300 series. Taylor doesn't want to undersell itself. Let's pretend for a moment that they offered a 100- or 200-series 12-string guitar. It'd totally eat into sales of their more expensive models. That's the best explanation I have of why the 100- and 200- series are limited to very common body shapes and features.

The second explanation I can think of is that a smaller Grand Concert sized guitar would be harder to pull off well using laminate woods.

And finally, I would expect Taylor to not think they could sell enough of these to justify the expense in tooling, marketing, etc.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

MR XXXXX

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-312e-sapele-spruce-grand-concert-acoustic-electric-guitar

No cutaway, but with electronics... Not a ton more than the 214ceSunburst... and solid wood...

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
I know this is probably a better question for Taylor, and I plan to call them. But, I'm really wishing to get into a GC, w/o paying big bucks. I'd really consider a 212ce, sunburst, w/ rosewood laminate back, like this one.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/214CESB.htm
I don't want a another GA (already have a a 414 that I love).
Anyone have any thoughts on why a 212ce wouldn't be a standard model?

I'd suggest not calling Taylor about this. The person you're going to get on the phone simply isn't going to know "why" they don't make something. Those aren't the questions they're there to answer. What's more, the people who are the ones who could answer that question (Bob Taylor, Andy Powers, Dave Hosler, etc) aren't the people who have consumer phone calls forwarded to them by customer service or reception.

In order for Taylor to do something, it has to make sense. They'll have to invest time, money and manpower into developing a 200 Series GC. If they think it'll be a big seller, they'll do it. If it's not going to be a money-maker for them, they won't. Personally, I think GC's are the red-headed step-child of the Taylor line. They're great guitars but, compared to others in the line, they don't get a lot of love.

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
<snip>

The second explanation I can think of is that a smaller Grand Concert sized guitar would be harder to pull off well using laminate woods.

And finally, I would expect Taylor to not think they could sell enough of these to justify the expense in tooling, marketing, etc.

The latter, not the former. After all, the GS Mini is smaller than the GC body.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-312e-sapele-spruce-grand-concert-acoustic-electric-guitar

No cutaway, but with electronics... Not a ton more than the 214ceSunburst... and solid wood...

I heard that the Franklin triplets lived at Ted's and Jim's shop with this guitar. Just sayin.'   ;)
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

MR XXXXX

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
Um?

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Not $ure what I'm not $aying?
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

e8n

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Once someone asked Bob Taylor about Brazilian Rosewood (and this is 8-10 years ago when it was more widely available). Specially, why do we have to order a Presentation Series to get BRW? Why not just make an unadorned version available for less $$$$? He replied something to the effect of, "If you want my Brazilian Rosewood, I'm gonna sell you everything else I got with it!" I hope I'm not extrapolating this too far, but I think Taylor reserves certain "premium" features for more expensive guitars. Example: if you want a 1 3/4" nut you have to get at least a 300 series. Taylor doesn't want to undersell itself. Let's pretend for a moment that they offered a 100- or 200-series 12-string guitar. It'd totally eat into sales of their more expensive models. That's the best explanation I have of why the 100- and 200- series are limited to very common body shapes and features.

To extend this logic in a different direction.  What about he sales they just plain lose because someone wants an inexpensive 12 string?   I could spend 1/2 of what I would spend on a 400 series 12 string and get a super nice Guild.  Taylor sale is gone as is the opportunity.

I would agree with the GC body style not being popular enough to make it worthwhile however.  There are some things that are just a matter of economics.  I just don't think the same is true with 12 strings.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
What about he sales they just plain lose because someone wants an inexpensive 12 string?   I could spend 1/2 of what I would spend on a 400 series 12 string and get a super nice Guild.  Taylor sale is gone as is the opportunity.

One missed sale, and one missed opportunity, isn't compelling enough for them to do it. I'd be willing to bet that 100 missed sales and missed opportunities wouldn't be compelling enough for them to do it.

"Sales" is only one part of the equation.

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

Exactly.
http://vimeo.com/46555864
[/quote]

The Franklin triplets I'm am referring to are all named Benjamin. Get it now?

Trying to skirt the price discussion taboo with little success! Kinda like a joke you have to explain...it just ain't funny anymore (if it ever was).
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

Exactly.

Trying to skirt the price discussion taboo with little success! Kinda like a joke you have to explain...it just ain't funny anymore (if it ever was).

lol! Marty, I've got to admit this is pretty funny...I think the joke's on you! ;D

;)
Cindy

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »

RAOTFLMAO

Sometimes even a bat upside the head doesn't work. :)
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

Exactly.

lol! Marty, I've got to admit this is pretty funny...I think the joke's on you! ;D

;)

Won't be the last time, either.  :)
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner