Author Topic: Great Finger Picking guitars  (Read 6582 times)

Legendary

Great Finger Picking guitars
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
What are some good fingerpicking guitars. I want to try playing some?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:50:00 AM by Legendary »

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: Great Finger Picking guitars
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
Some people would agree that light strings are more conducive to fingerstyle than mediums, and some prefer smaller body sizes over dreadnoughts. 
With that in mind, Taylor's Grand Concert size is quite popular. 
I believe the GC3 is within the price range you mentioned before the edit. 

Many people use the Grand Auditorium size for fingerstyle, flatpicking, strumming. 
There's no rule about what you can and cannot use for what. 
-K
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:13:11 PM by not darth »
Member #34
I'm not darth.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:02:04 AM »
Not to be flip but I think the answer is anywhere you can find guitar you like the looks and sound of at your price point. Guitar size really doesn't matter for finger picking. It's what YOU are comfortable playing. Personally, I like a rich sounding guitar (lots of nice overtones) for fingerstyle but that's me. YMMV
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

sealcove

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
I agree that you can use any guitar for any style, but smaller bodies seem to be generally preferred for finger style playing if given a choice.  If nothing else, it would be good to compare comfort of a GC versus a larger guitar to see what suits you.  I am a big guy, I only play finger style, and I prefer smaller bodies like OM's and GC's.  That said, I had a carbon fiber Rainsong dread for a while, and I had no issue playing finger style on that.  Depending on hand size and playing style, you might also prefer a 1 3/4" nut rather than 1 11/16", but again, it is a matter of preference.

I recently came back to guitar with a GC7, which is obviously a GC sized body, 1 3/4" nut and a shorter scale.  It is a great finger style guitar.  It was used, but mint, and it came in under the figure you mentioned.  I have seen several GC series around in that range since, so there are options out there.

Best thing to do is to play a bunch of guitars with different specs, and zero in on the traits that fit your body and playing style.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:35:29 AM by sealcove »

GregEL

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
BIG +1 on a Taylor GC3!

andyi5

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
Just put down my GC3 to add my vote too. The short scale and wide nut makes it very comfortable and easy to bend the strings, and although it works fine on light strumming, on fingerstyle you get a real warmth on it. I tend to use more flesh than nail and the guitar sounds great.

I think Larrivee's OM-03's are well worth a look too for the price, though I prefer the neck and finish/appointments on the GC's.

drbob1

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
Any 12 fret guitar (to the body) is going to be smoother for finger style than a 14 fret. Plus they tend to have a bit wider neck. Right now I've got a Larrivee O-10 for that purpose, but there are a few I like more (Santa Cruz makes a great one).

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
I learned how to play Blackbird on a dreadnought,  that was before I was told to get a more intimate guitar.  You can learn to play fingerstyle on any style of guitar in my opinion.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

losshack

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
There are no rules, I own a GS8 and GC3 and strictly play fingerstyle.

kenr

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
how about a Santa Cruz Eric Skye!  Also a Martin 000-18ge

GregEL

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
"Any 12 fret guitar (to the body) is going to be smoother for finger style than a 14 fret."

Don't know what you mean. Smoother? To me that's a function of the player. My GC3 is just as "smooth" or "smoother" than the 12 fret guitars I've played. I also prefer the better access to the upper frets all things being equal (non cutaway).

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:44 AM »
"Any 12 fret guitar (to the body) is going to be smoother for finger style than a 14 fret."

Don't know what you mean. Smoother? To me that's a function of the player. My GC3 is just as "smooth" or "smoother" than the 12 fret guitars I've played. I also prefer the better access to the upper frets all things being equal (non cutaway).

Most 12-fret guitars have a shorter scale than the 25.5" which is somewhat standard on GA/DN and many other 14-fret guitars. 
Plus, many 12-fretters use light strings. 

Your GC3, although a 14 fret, has a shortish scale at 24.7", and uses light strings as well.  Point of interest, my 12-fret guitar (Kennedy) has a 24.9" scale - so, yes, your GC3 does have slightly less tension than my 12-fretter, and quite a bit less than that of a 25.5" scale 14-fret dreadnought strung with mediums. 

You're both right.
:)
Member #34
I'm not darth.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
Not to be flip but I think the answer is anywhere you can find guitar you like the looks and sound of at your price point. Guitar size really doesn't matter for finger picking. It's what YOU are comfortable playing. Personally, I like a rich sounding guitar (lots of nice overtones) for fingerstyle but that's me. YMMV

Couldn't agree more....

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »
As far as Taylor goes I don't think you can go wrong -- I happen to love my 210 for fingerpicking and prefer it to many small-body guitars I've played.

That said, if I were going to buy a Taylor with fingerpicking in mind, I'd go with the 12-fret simply for the richer, more vintage-sounding tone.

My 210 has kept me from buying any more Taylors so far, but the 12-fret is such an awesome sound and look that I think it's just a matter of time before I give in... :)

If you're on a budget, don't overlook the mahogany top GS Mini.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
I would vote for a cedar-topped GC5/512, GC7/712, GA5/514, or GA7/714.  I own a 714ce and it is just heavenly when played with the fingers.  It takes a plectrum well too!
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp