Author Topic: Great Finger Picking guitars  (Read 6584 times)

dmccrider

Re: Great Finger Picking guitars
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
It kind of depends on how hard you pick, for light to medium pickers I would say any Taylor GC in rosewood, preferably a cedar top, the 5 series (cedar/mahogany) seems like it would be an excellent choice, something with koa should be nice, larger guitars in 12 fret if you like more bass, or my pick as the ultimate... the Taylor 35th Anniversary Parlor which is out of this world

See and listen here...

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25965
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:38:28 PM by dmccrider »

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Legendary

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
Would a 314ce work for fingerpicking? Because he should be able to do that and flat picking or so I've read (Haven't been able to try it out yet).

rolleiguy54

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
I think any good guitar works for  finger style. Play what you have and like. I've seen many good finger style players use Martin Dreds.

This is not what you might consider a finger style guitar.

Some prefer a short scale 12 fret guitar  :)but there are no rules.http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Roseadi

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
I think a lot has to do with what style of fingerstyle you play.

I have a 714 cedar that is absolutely wonderful for pristine crystaline tone. I also have a Lowden F with EIR/Adi that is verrrry rich in overtones with a more pronounced midrange than the 714. Great for many many things but really shines on rags etc. and has a larger dynamic range.

Both sound wonderful for almost everything I play but they each have their own "songs, if you know what I mean. Also there is a distinct difference in "how" I play each one to bring out the sound I'm looking for. BTW, the Lowden is distinctly better at dropped tunings.

Keep in mind that the Lowden F was origonally designed as a flat picking guitar. Combined with the adi top, I think most people would not consider it as a "go to" fingerstyle guitar. Although I would beg to differ - it sure is for me!. While Lowdens with cedar are considered by many as their fingerstyle guitar, the adi top also makes for a very nice fingerstyler!

Bottom line, there is no "best". So much depends on what you bring to the table.

Edit: Side note - Each gets played about the same amount of time. If I had to give one of them up, I would be hard pressed on which one it would be. (IMO that really says something for the Taylor!)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:30:33 AM by Roseadi »
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen