Author Topic: Mechanical Seasoning for Acoustic Guitars - does it work?  (Read 2982 times)

ahalikias

Mechanical Seasoning for Acoustic Guitars - does it work?
« on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »
Do products like ToneRite or PrimeVibe actually work, i.e. accelerate aging/breaking-in process? Have you used on a high end Taylor?
07 914ce Ltd brazilian rosewood
07 SB-BR1 bastogne walnut
09 T5 Ltd ovangkol
09 Baby
13 K26ce Ltd koa
Rivera Sedona 55 ES

SDTaylorman

Re: Mechanical Seasoning for Acoustic Guitars - does it work?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
Soooo...there's a "Search" function here on this site. Put in "Tonerite" or "Primevibe" and you'll see people have been discussing it here (in multiple threads so why start another?) since 2012.

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
The only thing I know for sure is there is no substitute for simply playing and enjoying your guitar(s) for many, many years.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

tedtan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »
Soooo...there's a "Search" function here on this site. Put in "Tonerite" or "Primevibe" and you'll see people have been discussing it here (in multiple threads so why start another?) since 2012.

Well, this is a discussion forum rather than an archived repository of all things Taylor related, so, as such, I don't take issue with someone starting a new thread on a topic we've already discussed. It's easy enough to simply avoid a thread I'm not interested in for whatever reason.

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
Well, this is a discussion forum rather than an archived repository of all things Taylor related, so, as such, I don't take issue with someone starting a new thread on a topic we've already discussed. It's easy enough to simply avoid a thread I'm not interested in for whatever reason.
I agree. The search function is a very nice feature, and  users may like to know that one way to find info  would be to search previous discussions, but  I don't think it is intended that it be a  requirement to check the archives  before you post a comment.

Also, I dont have any experience with these  products , but I would tend to agree with StrummingMadMan's  comment  above.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:40:51 PM by Guitar Cowboy »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

ahalikias

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
Thanks! Here are some newbie thoughts:

- I hadn't even thought of using the Search as a way of reaching archived material, so thank you for the suggestion
- I did use it just now, and the format/comments the Search returned are not easy to follow
- I apologized in advance in an earlier post in case it was a repeat, but I can't be saying so in every post
- It's impractical to be obliged to do research before one can ask a question to the forum
- I'm sure since 2012 there have been product improvements, blogger analyses, Taylor owners with newer experiences of these products, etc, so revisiting a topic may actually be worth doing anyway.
07 914ce Ltd brazilian rosewood
07 SB-BR1 bastogne walnut
09 T5 Ltd ovangkol
09 Baby
13 K26ce Ltd koa
Rivera Sedona 55 ES

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
This is one of those topics where if you ask five people, you will get six opinions.   :o 

Some folks swear by the benefits, some hear no difference at all and consider such things a waste of time.  Personally I have not used a Tonerite or other artificial method to "age" my guitars, but I understand the concept.  My guitars would never have been purchased if I were not satisfied with their sound to begin with.  I know this isn't particularly helpful, but that is my experience.

Don't worry about the "search first" comments.  There probably isn't a topic under the sun that has not been discussed multiple times before.  The possible exception is a totally brand new model like the Grand Pacific / x17's.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:17:22 AM »
I respect Ahalikias' question.  Most responders to this post are relative newbies to the forum, as are the majority of responders in general.  Many who have posted in the past have moved on, so some fresh perspective is welcome.   Let's play nice!!!!
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

SDTaylorman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
Actually I never said there was a requirement to search before posting.  Nor was I suggesting people couldn't add to discussions. Nor was I not playing nice.  In fact,  in my attempt to guide the OP to finding an answer rather than waiting for others ended up with my being attacked here.  Thanks folks!

tedtan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
Actually I never said there was a requirement to search before posting.  Nor was I suggesting people couldn't add to discussions. Nor was I not playing nice.  In fact,  in my attempt to guide the OP to finding an answer rather than waiting for others ended up with my being attacked here.  Thanks folks!

Your original post came off as a bit snarky ("Sooo....") and seemed to indicate that there was no need to start a new thread ("people have been discussing it here (in multiple threads so why start another?)"), so several of us have clarified that there is no problem in starting a new thread. That was only intended to clarify that we are here to discuss things related to Taylor guitars. No offense intended.

Airborne

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
Thanks! Here are some newbie thoughts:

- I hadn't even thought of using the Search as a way of reaching archived material, so thank you for the suggestion
- I did use it just now, and the format/comments the Search returned are not easy to follow
- I apologized in advance in an earlier post in case it was a repeat, but I can't be saying so in every post
- It's impractical to be obliged to do research before one can ask a question to the forum
- I'm sure since 2012 there have been product improvements, blogger analyses, Taylor owners with newer experiences of these products, etc, so revisiting a topic may actually be worth doing anyway.

I agree with you 100%. What subject has not been covered at least once? I too find the search function less than ideal.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
ok folks, let’s get back on track. it’s hard to gauge emotion over electronic text, so let’s not get too worked about it
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
Well put Zebow!

I have used Tone-Rites on dozens of guitars. R.Taylors, Custom Taylors, regular Taylors, many other brands, and some custom single bench Luthiers too!

They almost always sound better to me after a good week long vibes session... or sometimes many!
 Koa, Adirondack and other woods that often take a long break in period seem to benefit the most.

I had a Baden that went from meh to WOW in one week.

Some serious high end builders use them and I wager they can hear the difference too!

Try one and see. They don't cost much.

Good luck and Happy picking!

Paul

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
Well put Zebow!

I have used Tone-Rites on dozens of guitars. R.Taylors, Custom Taylors, regular Taylors, many other brands, and some custom single bench Luthiers too!

They almost always sound better to me after a good week long vibes session... or sometimes many!
 Koa, Adirondack and other woods that often take a long break in period seem to benefit the most.

I had a Baden that went from meh to WOW in one week.

Some serious high end builders use them and I wager they can hear the difference too!

Try one and see. They don't cost much.

Good luck and Happy picking!

Paul

i bet i would like this. i liked the “played in” tone 12 frets give. maybe i’ll try this on my mini lol
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa