Author Topic: ToneRite & Taylors?  (Read 6585 times)

Jannie

ToneRite & Taylors?
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
I also asked over at the Acoustic GF where they sent me to the Collings Forum which has gobs of posts on the ToneRite http://tonerite.com/ setup to open up a guitar. One person polled about 120 people who had used a ToneRite and the bulk felt there were moderate to excellnt results. Then I read more threads and some feel that the affect diminishes over time especially if they guitar doesn't get played much. In the listing that showed the results of the poll, I went through the list of individuals who participated and found only one used the ToneRite on a Taylor. Taylor was actually very noticable in that list due to it's absense.

One could surmise that Taylor owners who became aware of that poll, don't feel their guitars need to open up. But I've read several times that Tayors are thought to be very tight when new.

So from my current research I'd surmise that I'd gone from "I think I'll order one of these" to "I don't know".

Anyone here use a ToneRite on their Taylor and if so what are your feelings about it.

I'm not really interested in comments by those who have never used one but if you want to say something anyway, maybe someone else will be interested LOL.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: ToneRite & Taylors?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
PM MarkAllen and see what he says.  His thread said the Tonerite worked on his new Koa.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
Well ... never used one but ...

Like my reply to your post on AGF says, I'm going to try an experiment. My GS-LTD Mahogany does seem a little tight. I'll record some before and after the TONERITE and post. I'll have a better perspective being able to hear it up close and personal but you can judge for yourself if you can hear a difference.

Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
There is but one way to properly age a guitar, and it doesn't include attaching anything to the guitar, except maybe a strap...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
I don't know if a Tone Rite does anything or not, and I don't care.

I'm in the camp where if I don't love the sound of a guitar I won't buy it.  There are simply too many great guitars from which to choose.  I won't buy a guitar for what it might become in the future.  I'm into instant gratification. ;)
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
I'm in the camp where if I don't love the sound of a guitar I won't buy it.
As am I. I'm interested in whether a tonerite works but I've no interest in actually using one.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Jannie

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »
Hmmmm, could we reverse the process and use it to make people younger, tighter, just curious.

But at the same time, in a matter of hours I went from never hearing of ToneRite to having a pretty extensive education extending from sheer angry opinions to scientific to yes I use one and think its amazing to it doesnt last to it did nothing for me. This is where forums really shine.

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
I have one, and have used it on my Custom GS, as well as on a number of other instruments.   It performs no miracles but it does indeed work. 

As a side note both Violin shops of prestige use them in my area.   The Tone-Rite seems to have a much more established reputation in that area.  When I had the neck on my Grandfathers 100 year old fiddle after the work they insisted on a week on the Tone-Rite at the store.   I do not think they were trying to open it the Violin up (its already well aged), they were most likely stressing the instrument making sure all the work they did was solid, and also looking for any other areas that may become loose.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Well ... never used one but ...

Like my reply to your post on AGF says, I'm going to try an experiment. My GS-LTD Mahogany does seem a little tight. I'll record some before and after the TONERITE and post. I'll have a better perspective being able to hear it up close and personal but you can judge for yourself if you can hear a difference.

Verdict is in for me. After the suggested 144 hour initial treatment my GS-LTD Mahogany was much more articulate. Didn't notice that much more bass but it had very good bass tonal qualities before I started. The difference was there. How much is very subjective but no doubt, articulation and tonal quality across the board was better.

I'm a believer. I have it hanging on my GA-LTD Macassar right now. Curious what that will bring since I thought it was cherry to begin with. Will see how it changes my opinion there.

Worth the $/time in my opinion.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »
S MS Picker<<<<< Lookin for the aquarium pump again.Sorry fishes. ;)
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
There is another nice little side benefit with the ToneRite.

You can take the edge off a new set of strings over night. My experience so far is a set of D'Addario EJ16-3D PB Lights. Gonna try it on EXPs and some Elixirs next.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
Have fun with the vibrator, guys.  I prefer getting there the old fashioned way...

8)
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato