Author Topic: Taylor hardcase  (Read 1404 times)

osilva88

Taylor hardcase
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:36:44 PM »
Hi everyone. I have two Taylor hard cases for GA guitars but I noticed that one of them have 4 latches and the other has 5 latches. I bought them both brand new. Any idea while one has an extra latch? Is the extra latch older or newer? In other words, did Taylor decide to add an extra latch for a reason? Maybe in case one fails, you still would have plenty?
2019 Taylor 314CE
2018 Taylor GS Mini-e
2015 Taylor 214e DLX

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Taylor hardcase
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:54:52 AM »
Taylor began using 4 latches instead of 5 in 2018.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
Is the extra latch older or newer? In other words, did Taylor decide to add an extra latch for a reason? Maybe in case one fails, you still would have plenty?

I think the more likely explanation is they decided the 5th latch was unnecessary and decided to save a $1 or so on each case.  I also have a 5-latch and a 4-latch case and don't fine one more secure than the other.  What is disturbing to me is that one latch on the newer (6 months old) case is already broken.  It works fine but I've got to keep the latch closed except when I open the case so that little pin doesn't fall out.  I bought the guitar online so I can't just take it back to the store.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 05:35:11 PM »
That "back" latch has always been a superfluous and irritating latch to me, on any case that I've every used, over decades.  Four latches is plenty ...if Taylor ditched one from five, more power to em!  :D

Edwad

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »
That looks like an easy task for a luggage repair shop, if you can find one nearby.  As a buddy says on another forum, a guitar case is rally just specialized luggage.  It appears that the pin acting as a shaft for the latch has sheared off one end.  If you are a handy guy maybe you could fix it yourself?

I've always felt that the fifth latch was completely redundant, except maybe for jumbo cases, and is often overlooked when opening my cases.  Other brand name and generic hard cases do just fine with four latches.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

osilva88

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »
Thanks for all the info!

Per forum rules.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:45:23 AM by TaylorGirl »
2019 Taylor 314CE
2018 Taylor GS Mini-e
2015 Taylor 214e DLX

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
That looks like an easy task for a luggage repair shop, if you can find one nearby.  As a buddy says on another forum, a guitar case is rally just specialized luggage.  It appears that the pin acting as a shaft for the latch has sheared off one end.  If you are a handy guy maybe you could fix it yourself?

Didn't even think about a place that repairs luggage.  That's a good idea.  It looks to me like the pin may be hollow and is "upset" to flare out the end which holds it in place.  The flared out part broke off.  I am going to send a picture to Taylor and see if they'll send me a new pin.  I might be able to fix it myself with a new one.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »
Didn't even think about a place that repairs luggage.  That's a good idea.  It looks to me like the pin may be hollow and is "upset" to flare out the end which holds it in place.  The flared out part broke off.  I am going to send a picture to Taylor and see if they'll send me a new pin.  I might be able to fix it myself with a new one.

I emailed the picture to Taylor.  They offered to exchange the case or send me a new latch, said they don't have just the pins (not surprised about that.)  I will exchange it if there's no cost to me, otherwise I'll just take the latch.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K