Author Topic: Ernie Ball "Earthwood" Medium Lights, opinions?  (Read 2374 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Ernie Ball "Earthwood" Medium Lights, opinions?
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »
So, over the last couple days I've been thinking my JP PB's have died, and today I was certain, so I strung up a set of EXP medium PB's, and when I was attempting to 'pre-stretch' the strings I snapped the high E.   :(

Had just enough time to run to the only store in 30 miles that was open, a Best Buy, and they didn't have EXP mediums but they had some EJ17's and IIRC the high-E and the B aren't coated on the EXP's and are the same as the EJ17's.

But that's all beside the point, I saw a set that I'd never heard of before and picked up some Ernie Ball "Earthwood" Medium-Lights (12 16 24 32 44 54) that are 80/20. 
For under $5 I figured they're worth a whirl, so they came home too. 
I won't use them until my EXP's die, but I was wondering what you've heard about them, or how they've worked for you.
I did a search at AGF and found a few reviews but most people didn't list what size or woods their guitar is, so the reviews were pointless.

I've got a sitka/maple dread, primarily fingerstyle use.
Thanks!
:)
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

dbf909

Re: Ernie Ball "Earthwood" Medium Lights, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
My local Best Buy was selling these for $X per pack so I bought one to try - have not put them on yet.

They were also selling Elixir Nano 80/20 Lights for $XX so I picked up a couple of them as well - I like the PBs but the price was right.

Hopefully in the next few days I will get an opportunity to try the EBs and I will follow up.

edit for price
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:49:27 PM by michaelw »
2010 Taylor GC8
2011 Taylor GS-Mini
2007 Taylor 214e (my son's first acoustic)
2003 Taylor NS32ce
2003 Taylor Baby Ltd. Maple
2003 Taylor 414ce Ltd. Rosewood w/ES
2003 Taylor 455ce Ltd. Rosewood w ES
1979 Martin HD-28
Various Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and Gretsch electrics from 1960's to 2011

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
I haven't tried those but I am interested in hearing what you think.  I usually use the Elixir but have been considering the D'Addario (sp?) ones.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
I put them on today.  First impression: Bright, less bass.  That's not a positive or a negative, just the first impression. 
I really won't make up my mind for at least a couple days, once they settle in, but so far so good. 

Like I mentioned before I lean toward fingerstyle and I'm looking for clarity, easy action (without sacrificing tone), and a nice balance between full sounding bass and sparkly highs.  (Well, and world peace, might as well throw that in since I'm basically asking for the moon.) 

Part of me is skeptical that at under $5 these will be good (I guess I've been conditioned to accept that $15 strings must be better), but I'm going to let them sing for themselves and withhold prejudice.
:)

I'll post again after several more hours of play.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

andyi5

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »
I've used these strings before on my Yamaha CJ and really liked them. Very well balanced on the guitar - which actually is pretty Taylor like in tone, without any of the boomy bass you sometimes get on jumbos.