Author Topic: Slight belly on GS5  (Read 684 times)

tailortaylor

Slight belly on GS5
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:11:33 AM »
Hello Folks,

I bought my first Taylor GS5 about 2 weeks ago.  It's a 2011 with a cedar top and mahogany sides.   Today, I noticed a slight belly behind the bridge and measured the gap at the side to be approximately 1/8 inch.  Since I am new to Taylor guitars, is this normal to Taylor guitars (or the GS5) ?

I did some other measurements and place a long ruler on the neck and it exactly sits on the bridge.  I also measured the action which is within the Taylor spec.

Other than that, it's perfect and I am greatly enjoying it!

Thanks!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Slight belly on GS5
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:31:46 AM »
A slight belly behind the bridge is  fairly normal for a flat-top acoustic guitar, based on its construction and bracing pattern. Unless it becomes more and more pronounced, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just make sure that your guitar is stored at the appropriate humidity level (40-60 percent) all year round.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

tailortaylor

Re: Slight belly on GS5
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »
Thank You! 

I called Taylor today and they gave me some advice on care and feeding but it doesn't look like an issue.

I also went to GC to check out the guitars. The ones I checked has a slight bump including the more expensive Martin and Taylor models.