Author Topic: D'Addario/Elixir Phosphor Bronze comparison  (Read 7709 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
D'Addario/Elixir Phosphor Bronze comparison
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
Can anyone tell me how the D'Addario phosphor bronze strings compare with the Elixir phosphor bronze? The Elixirs are stiff and feel thicker than their Nanowebs. Do the D'Addario EXP16s (light gauge) also feel thicker like the Elixir Phosphor Bronze lights, and do they emit about the same bit of warmth in the bass and mids?

If you've tried both, which did you choose and why? Thanks for any input! :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:02:25 AM by Cindy »
Cindy

redsnapper

Re: D'Addario/Elixir Phosphor Bronze comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
I am interested in this as well.

dbf909

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
A couple of years ago I tried a set of D'Addario EXPs in Light guage on my 414ce.  It's been a while but I do not remember feeling a tension difference from the Elixir PBs that I had/have been using.  The tone was similar at first but they did not last nearly as long before the tone began to decline.  I did notice that the EXPs felt more like uncoated strings and tended to squeak more than the Nanos.

I have read that PB strings, for the same guage/diameter and scale length, require a slightly higher tension to achieve the same vibratory pitch/frequency than equivalent 80/20 Bronze strings.  This is due to the density differences between the two metal alloys used.  I have noticed this but it is kind of subtle and it obviously doesn't apply to the plain B and E.

In thinking about it from a technical angle, the additional mass of the coating, however small, would result in greater tension to achieve the same vibratory pitch/frequency.  Therefore, if the mass of the coating on the Elixir Nanos was greater than the coating on the D'Addarios, theoretically the tension would be higher at concert pitch.  In practice however, I would guess that the difference in mass of the coatings is so much smaller than the total mass of the string itself that this would not be noticeable and maybe not even measureable.
2010 Taylor GC8
2011 Taylor GS-Mini
2007 Taylor 214e (my son's first acoustic)
2003 Taylor NS32ce
2003 Taylor Baby Ltd. Maple
2003 Taylor 414ce Ltd. Rosewood w/ES
2003 Taylor 455ce Ltd. Rosewood w ES
1979 Martin HD-28
Various Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and Gretsch electrics from 1960's to 2011

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
I've tried both but always come back to Elixir PB nanos.  To my ears the EJ16's and EXP16's sound marginally better, but they do not last as long and I've become really spoiled by the almost nonexistent string squeak with the Elixirs.

Some may see it as marketing hype. but I truly think the key to the long life for the Elixirs is that they wrap the string after it is wound.  This keeps the crud out of the spaces between the windings, and crud between the windings is what kills strings.

For me, the marginally poorer tone is worth the longer life and no string squeak. So I'm an Elixir fan.   
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Paul

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
I've tried EXP16 PB first and thought what a wonderful sound it gives but it didn't last long max 3 weeks. The squeaky sound is also a concern.

Then I tried Elixir PB and I like it best. As mentioned by dbf909, the squeaky sound is gone, the tone is great and it last 9 months still looking good.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
I haven't used the Elixers yet, but I have been using the D'Addario PB's for years and really like them. I have a pack of Elixer Nanoweb 80/20's to try, then after that I plan on trying their PB's. So I am very interested in feedback on this topic too!

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
I am not an Elixir fan – I just do not like the tone. I've had them on my GC-5 and on my Voyage-Air, and on both I replaced them with D'Addario EXP lights. On my GC-5 the D'Addarios took a bit of the edge off the trebles, which is to my taste. On the Voyage-Air the Elixirs sounded brittle and tinny, and the D'As gave the trebles a rounder and fuller sound.

Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.