Author Topic: You're now the new CEO of Taylor. What changes are you gonna make?  (Read 12910 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Here's the supposition:  Bob Taylor has gone insane and named you as the new CEO of Taylor Guitars.  Congratulations!  Now what immediate changes will you make — either to the company in general or to specific guitars?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:54:02 AM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
Re: You're now the new CEO of Taylor. What changes are you gonna make?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »
--Taylor is the #1 acoustic guitar maker in the USA.
--Their products are famous for their quality
--Their process is famous for its efficiency
--I'm not sure about the financials, but I'm pretty sure Kurt has that part under control.

No changes required. Proceed on the present course. Full steam ahead!
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »
 Over all, I like the direction the company's going. I think the company's investment in Camaroon"s Ebony supply is a positive move. Great selection of guitars, at all price points.

Now, on day one. I'm pulling Andy off of all projects, and he is going to put solid wood GS-Mini's in production.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

GuitarDogs62

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »
Taylor guitars in my eyes is on the right track and riding the cutting edge of technology and leading the conservation efforts of guitar manufacturers. I would do nothing different and would also monitor closely what my customers truly want and feel how the quality and customer service experience are. If I receive any bad report cards that is what I would address and change. I would also allow my research development and engineering staff to continue doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Bob Taylor shoes in my humble opinion would be pretty hard to fit into and fill.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »
--Taylor is the #1 acoustic guitar maker in the USA.
--Their products are famous for their quality
--Their process is famous for its efficiency
--I'm not sure about the financials, but I'm pretty sure Kurt has that part under control.

No changes required. Proceed on the present course. Full steam ahead!

^ I agree with this.  When things are going well, proceed cautiously and don't make any radical changes.  I might review what the GO body size is doing sales-wise, and would be a little slow to let the "Andy Powers" changes propagate through the whole product line.  Andy's tweaks are good, but there is always going to be a market for "Classic Taylor", the sound that put them where they are today.  Coca Cola learned THAT lesson. 

I would feel an awful burden to fill Bob's shoes without messing things up.  And I would start cultivating a replacement for Kurt as CFO for when he wants to retire.  Most people who start businesses do so because they like and are good at what they do.  Finding someone who can build guitars AND run the business side of things in one package would be extremely rare.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:16:14 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
Continue the present course, and start choosing the wood for my BTO Taylor😀
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
...  I might review what the GO body size is doing sales-wise, and would be a little slow to let the "Andy Powers" changes propagate through the whole product line.  Andy's tweaks are good, but there is always going to be a market for "Classic Taylor", the sound that put them where they are today.  Coca Cola learned THAT lesson...

I think this would be my general tack as well:  take a hard look at the GO to determine whether it's really living up to it's potential or just consuming company resources; and continue to make 'legacy' models available, in particular, the 600 Series (perhaps only by special order) while evaluating whether the remaining lines would truly benefit from 're-voicing' attempts.

I'd also try looking for better ways to keep the more exotic woods (e.g., Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo, etc.) available to customers, if not part of the Presentation Series.  Perhaps a pipe dream, but no harm in exploring the possibilities.  Finally, I'd give some serious consideration to re-introducing Dreadnought-bodied 12-strings beyond the 100 and 300 Series, perhaps only in the 500, 600, and 800 lines.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

bbarkow

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
If I had a say, I'd recommend that Taylor build an all-out bluegrass cannon in both mahogany and rosewood with Adirondack tops. It isn't what they're known for, but I think they'd take a chunk of Martin's market share in that category.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
1.  What Taylor is doing in Cameroon is wonderful, so wherever possible, I'd apply this model to other areas of the world in order to maintain wood supplies, protect the environment, and provide local workers with livable wages.

2.  If they haven't done it already (and I hope they have), I'd apologize to all the dealers who were coerced into carrying Taylor electric guitars against their better judgment.

3.  I'd revisit the X18 series to see if it's possible to make these guitars more balanced tonally.

4.  Once #3 is accomplished, I'd look at releasing some X18 12-strings.

5.  The GS mini desperately needs the availability of a 1-¾ inch nut.  Craigslist often has several GS minis for sale, presumably from people who originally thought buying one was a good idea, then changed their minds.  I almost never play mine anymore, and it's because the fingerboard feels cramped after playing my normal-sized guitar.

6.  I'd improve the Taylor-branded tuning machines.  And I'd use Gotoh 510s as my model.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
5.  The GS mini desperately needs the availability of a 1-¾ inch nut.  Craigslist often has several GS minis for sale, presumably from people who originally thought buying one was a good idea, then changed their minds.  I almost never play mine anymore, and it's because the fingerboard feels cramped after playing my normal-sized guitar.

6.  I'd improve the Taylor-branded tuning machines.  And I'd use Gotoh 510s as my model.

Both good options, Dennis.  I would expect that if Taylor made a 1-3/4" neck available, many - maybe most - of the GS Mini's would be bought that way.  Better still, make it possible to buy an aftermarket wide neck to swap out (by trained techs only).  It probably would not be cost effective, but as long a we are wishing......   I for one would be much happier with the GS Mini if it had a wider truly Taylor neck.  That is why it's listed for sale in my signature.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

GuitarDogs62

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
If I had a say, I'd recommend that Taylor build an all-out bluegrass cannon in both mahogany and rosewood with Adirondack tops. It isn't what they're known for, but I think they'd take a chunk of Martin's market share in that category.

Honestly the Taylor 310 rivals the D-18 nicely and the Taylor 810 is the Rosewood answer that outperforms the D-28. But, the real issue is not to out do anyone, the  real issue is the mentality of hard core Bluegrass players that won't break the Martin or nothing mentality. Now far as the 310, it just competed nicely against D-18's this weekend and held it's own and in some cases out shined the D-18.

Taylor already has made those great Bluegrass guitars, the issue again is the hard core players not willing to change and installing that mentality in new comers. Unfortunately the hard core group is about tradition and I feel they lost there touch for sound.

I am a Bluegrasser and was a Martin guy and now back home with Taylor. The 310 knocks it out of the park nicely. Taylor is on the right track and should just keep on keeping on all around.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
Do everything Bob is doing, except introduce an integrated polyphonic tuner which is so unobtrusive and integrated it would be a no brainer. I already have tons of ideas how to implement this, I don't know that there's any good excuse to not do this as an option at least, as much as "ce" is an option. Can you tell what my biggest beef with Bob is?  8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
I would do everything Bob's has been doing and ensure that the company remains true to Bob's vision for innovation as a means of  improving the modern guitar versus paying tribute to tradition as many other builders (including Andy Powers to some extent) continue to do.

I would ensure that the custom program thrives and strives to be as much like the individual luthier's program as is possible in a large production company. That means continually sourcing replenishable exotic woods to offer more tonal options. I would press the team to find a way to exploit CNC technology to produce one-off inlay designs for the customer at an affordable price.

In short, stay ahead of the curve through innovation that fosters more individual choice at all price points. Not asking for much, am I?
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
 All fashion fit t-shirts will be removed from the TaylorWare store and replaced with Hanes Beefy-T's. Effective immediately. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
All fashion fit t-shirts will be removed from the TaylorWare store and replaced with Hanes Beefy-T's. Effective immediately. :)

Let's also banish all remaining stock of  size S/M/L t-shirts to the discount rack until they are gone, never to return again!
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3