Author Topic: Question about pick guard removal on all gloss Taylor  (Read 6968 times)

joshsimpson79

Question about pick guard removal on all gloss Taylor
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
I own a 2010 514ce ltd with spruce top koa b/s.  I've seen on youtube where people remove pick guards off of a GS Mini with no problem.  Mine did not come with a pick guard, but someone put a clear one on there.  How is removing a pick guard from a glossy finish different than a Mini non gloss? 

Also, did I see something about lighter fluid or goo gone to remove residue?

Thanks for your help.  Youtube videos have helped a lot, but I want some more feedback from Taylor glossy owners.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

mikeguywest

Re: Question about pick guard removal on all gloss Taylor
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm one of those who removed my pick guard from my GS Mini Hog with no problem and it looks great. Depending on the type of adhesive that was used to put your current pick guard on would determine how you should remove it. Hopefully super glue or something like it wasn't used. I would first start with the blow dryer heat (low) method of loosening the adhesive and see how well that lifts the pg. The finish (especially gloss tops) on Taylor guitars is pretty tough so you should be ok. I would caution using chemicals to remove it. That might do more damage, though I do see others posting success on using lighter fluid to remove excess glue once the pg is removed. To remove the excess on my Mini I just kept the heat on (low again) and rubbed it off, then followed with mild warm soapy water. Clean.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
I'm one of those who removed my pick guard from my GS Mini Hog with no problem and it looks great. Depending on the type of adhesive that was used to put your current pick guard on would determine how you should remove it. Hopefully super glue or something like it wasn't used. I would first start with the blow dryer heat (low) method of loosening the adhesive and see how well that lifts the pg. The finish (especially gloss tops) on Taylor guitars is pretty tough so you should be ok. I would caution using chemicals to remove it. That might do more damage, though I do see others posting success on using lighter fluid to remove excess glue once the pg is removed. To remove the excess on my Mini I just kept the heat on (low again) and rubbed it off, then followed with mild warm soapy water. Clean.

Thanks for the tip.  Good to know the gloss is pretty tough.  Hopefully I don't have a tan line.  Even though it's from 2010, I don't think the previous owner had it out of its case much.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

jerrytubes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
I had a luthier install a black pick guard on my 314ce (actually, he made the pick guard because I couldn't find one anywhere). I didn't watch him remove the old one, but he told me he exclusively uses naptha to remove them, doesn't recommend drying out the top with any kind of heat.

Caution:  some forms of naptha are carcinogenic.

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:09 AM »
there might be a tan line already since it's been there for quite a long time now. make sure you inspect that. You might not like it when you remove it.
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

joshsimpson79

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
there might be a tan line already since it's been there for quite a long time now. make sure you inspect that. You might not like it when you remove it.

Yes, I've thought about this already.  I'm torn, as I don't know what it looks like underneath.  It's a gamble, and I might just leave it alone.

I suppose I could remove it and if there's a tan line, just put another clear one back in it's place?
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
I've removed several, and as long as you do it slowly, it should work fine. I also use dental floss with heat, and that has served me well. Consider the upside to removal and the downside to removal and proceed accordingly....

robhanesworth

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

Yes, I've thought about this already.  I'm torn, as I don't know what it looks like underneath.  It's a gamble, and I might just leave it alone.

I suppose I could remove it and if there's a tan line, just put another clear one back in it's place?

If it is a clear pickguard, can't you see if it looks like a different color under it? I would not think there would be a tan line with a clear guard. My 22 year old Larrivée with a clear guard has aged beautifully the same under the guard as the rest of the top.

mikeguywest

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
RE: tan line. I'm wondering if after removing the pg and the line is there, if you played it outside a moderate amount if the top shades would even out, or if both would grow darker with the line remaining (only darker). I'm sure a 2010 would have a definite tan line.

RE: blow dryer heat. As long as you keep it on low and not directly against it it won't cause any problems of drying out or cracking the body. It only took me about 5-7 minutes to remove my pg, and you're not going to dry out your guitar in that amount of time. I would caution as one person did on the Youtube video I saw, about not blowing to much toward the bridge, and also loosening the strings to prevent the POSSIBILITY of the bridge loosening. I changed my strings and did a total clean up (not that it needed it, but thought I would while I was at it) when I remove my pg. That way the strings were removed. I've been playing a year since, and everything is fine and dandy.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
Well, using the hair dryer on low, I got the pick guard off with no trouble in a little more than five minutes.  I had a little residue, but not much, and no tan line.  I know it's picky, but I sure enjoy not seeing the line from that guard and then having people asking me if the guitar has a crack in it.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »
nice work Josh. i don't have a Taylor with a pickguard...maybe i should get one so i can try to remove it....great, i feel GAS coming on again...but this time i have an excellent reason for it( i do, don't I??). the "blonde" can't disagree with pure science !
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

joshsimpson79

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »
I just ordered a GS Mini mahogany-e and am considering removing the pickguard.  The mahogany looks pretty sharp without it.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

dcopper

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »
I removed the pickguard from my Spring LTD 2012 cocobolo 814ce. It was easy but patience is the key. Use a hair dryer on low heat moving it back and forth around the edges of the pickguard to loosen the glue. Once the glue starts to warm and loosen you can begin gently lifting the pickguard. I also used strong dental floss to get underneath and help lift the pg. As it lifts, it curls and almost begins to remove itself. Keep the hair dryer trained on the curling edges and it will keep lifting. You can use gentle force to keep the pg curling away from the top. Just take your time. Once it is off, I used a naptha product, "camp stove cooking fuel" to clean the top. not too much on the tip of a rag, just enough to take off the remaining glue residue. Be patient with removing the glue residue, and use just enough of the naptha as you need - don't soak the rag or put it directly on the top. It did not damage the top or the gloss finish at all. I bought the cooking fuel product at a WalMart in the camping section after doing some online research on naptha products.
Good luck - I love the clean lines. Also be aware it will ruin your old pickguard, so if you want to put another one on, you will have to buy a replacement.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

mikeguywest

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
Great news, Josh! It's really good to know that even though the guitar is a few years old there was no line - I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't use any chemicals to get the glue off of my guitar as I've said, but then maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about such things. It's good to know others have done so with success and no damage to the guitar finish. Yes the Hog looks good without the pg! I've posted a pic to prove it.

Chedeng88

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
Definitely much better without the pick guard!