Author Topic: Open tunings  (Read 5134 times)

azslacker

• Veteran Member
Open tunings
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
Wondering if anyone else on here plays in slack key tunings or other open tunings exclusively. I used to play (poorly) in standard tuning. Got hooked on slack key and haven't played in std. for a couple of years.

Here's a master playing in taropatch DGDGBD Song is called "Radio Hula"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi3GZ5dz6vM
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Open tunings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
What is the advantage of these other tunings? If your guitar is tuned to a G or something then do you have to transpose all the other chords in the song?

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
No advantage over std. tuning, just a different style. Uses lots of open strings, and a constant alternating bass. You are somewhat limited in the number of chords you can play in each tuning, so you play the same few chords you can play in every possible inversion. In G taropatch and no capo, I can get along pretty well in G, C, & D keys. If I use a capo, it's usually just as high as the 2nd. fret. My 312ce is tuned to F taropatch CFCFAC. Sounds really good tuned down that low. Here's a song in F taropatch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaYqYxYdOY
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
 I will read some more about it. You can do so much with a guitar! It's so cool.

paulin

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
Hey azslacker,

What a beautiful song!  I really love slack key guitar, perhaps because I learned lap steel as a kid.  Some questions though:

1.- what gauge strings do you use for the various slack keys?

2.- which key has chord fingerings closest to standard tuning?

3.- what is a good resource for learning slack key chord fingerings?

Once again thanks for a great post.

paulin

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
#1 I use Elixer Nano-web med. sets on both of my Taylor's. The mini is in open G, and the 312 in open F.

#2 None of them, but don't worry. You rarely fret more than the top 3 strings. What you learn is shapes and there's only about 5 or 6 of those. Those shapes are chords as long as you thumb the right pair of bass strings.

#3 The top book out there for begining slack key is this one at the bottom of the page. Book and CD. http://www.ozziekotani.com/music-instruction/
Most of the songs/tabs are in taropatch open G, which is what most people start out learning.

If you want to get deeper into it. http://www.slackkeybypetermed.com/index.html
The Ozzie book will keep you busy for a while.

Here is a good intro into what slack key is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3n30zlFCtg
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

paul_zm

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
I play exclusively in non-standard turnings...even if it's as simple as Drop-D. There are benefits and drawbacks...I just like the sound better than standard.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
I've toyed with DADGAD and C add 9 tunings and would love to really get the hang of one of them.  Have begun to play with drop D in tunes I play in the key of D. I just need to rethink the E and G chords a tiny bit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:49:44 AM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »
What is the advantage of these other tunings? If your guitar is tuned to a G or something then do you have to transpose all the other chords in the song?
Open tunings are an opportunity to add different flavors to your playing.  There are pro's who play exclusively in DADGAD, for example (see Pierre Bensusan).  DADGAD is noted for its mysterious Celtic sound when played open or barred fully across (its a D sus4, one of my favorite chords, played fully open).  And of course an open D or G tuning is
de rigueur for playing with a slide.  Another pro (Greg Greenway of "Brother Sun") plays all his folk, blues and pop influenced tunes in C add 9 tuning (my other favorite chord). 

If nothing else, check out D sus 4 and C add 9 chords if you don't already play them.

CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »
This is something I would like to incorporate into my performing but, I have to admit, the only non standard tuning I use is drop D.

I fooled around a bit with DADGAD but basically, I decided that although I liked the sound for some stuff, I just didn't want to learn a bunch of new chord positions.  I was afraid that since I've been playing in standard tuning for a LOOOOOOONG time, if I started learning new chords I would get confused on stage as to what key I was in and end up playing a wrong chord.  Maybe if I worked at it a bit, that concern would disappear.  But I agree it would be a good thing.

OTOH, going in/out of the various tunings while on stage is distracting to the audience.  So even if I conquered the "wrong chord" fear, I would be a little concerned about the time taken for re-tuning.  Obviously you could have multiple instruments in the various tunings but I do not like carrying multiple instruments and, aside from that, don't care to purchase/own multiple guitars.  I have two 6-strings which is one more than I need but I can't part with my trusty Martin HD28 which served me well for many years, even though now I have switched to a Taylor 414ce.  But I do take the Martin out periodically to see if I should switch back; so far, the answer is no.

But I really do like the idea of other tunings and this thread will inspire me to look into it again, thanks!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »
At least, exploring open tunings can spur one on to learn some new partial chord shapes that SOUND like altered tuning while in standard. I wanted to play "circle game" by Joni Mitchell but was frustrated trying to learn the altered tuning she used so I transposed it into standard tuning and learned a few new chord shapes in the process.

Get an arrangement of " Urge For Going" by Joni.  It is written in standard but uses some interesting shapes which simulate altered tuning.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
I have tried taro patch and liked it. Of all alternate tunings, it's probably the easiest to learn. But I'm not an expert at it, by any means, and still feel most comfortable with standard tuning.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:04:36 PM by imorroy »
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
Ah, Taro Patch is open G tuning
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:20 AM »
My favorite guitar humor came at a Laurence Juber concert. Laurence, who frequently uses alternate tunings, described a tuning favored by forgetful baby boomers: ADDADD
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Mark Kailana Nelson does a excellent lesson, 63 to present, on Slack Key guitar at Jamplay.com.  I have often thought about starting the course but have not yet.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.