Author Topic: All in One polish/wax  (Read 4645 times)

sitedrifter

All in One polish/wax
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
I have been using Mothers Pure Carnuba to protect my Taylor and Yamaha however I will be getting a guitar with a nitro finish so I know I need to use a polish instead of a wax that is silicone free. Since I want to use one product on all my guitars I am checking out MusicNomad  The Guitar One polish/wax all in one. I talked with the owner who says it is safe for nitro finishes and works very well on (and to) maintained finishes. Of course if the finish is hurting then their straight polish should be used 1st to really clean it up then use the all-in-one to finish it off but if the finish is all gummed up, professionals need to get that corrected because the nitro itself is compromised.

Has anyone used this product and if so how do you like it especially if you have a Nitro finish.
Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

harv

Re: All in One polish/wax
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
I would definitely make sure its ok. nitro is easy to harm. if your not sure travel to the Gibson forums. lots of exp with nitro finishes there.

sitedrifter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »
The vendor says it is safe and people have rated it very good even with Gibson guitars however there was one review that basically said it melted the gibson finish. But then again, I have found negative reviews of other *safe* products that gibson owners swear by.
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MikeB

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
First I have heard about using wax on my Taylor!  Guess I've got to do some more reading.   I haven't done more than wipe with a dry polish cloth so far.

sitedrifter

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
First I have heard about using wax on my Taylor!  Guess I've got to do some more reading.   I haven't done more than wipe with a dry polish cloth so far.

I use the wax to protect the finish from human sweat/oils as well as making it easier to remove finger prints and smudges.  Any wax is safe for Taylors because they use a poly finish which does not allow silicone and such to pass into the wood. Unlike nitro finishes which are porous and could allow silicone from the waxes to seep into the wood which would cause problems if you were to refinish the guitar in the future.

Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
" I haven't done more than wipe with a dry polish cloth so far."

Almost concur...slightly damp rag is all I have ever used on anything from Ramirez flamencos to Martin HD28s to current Taylors.  BUT - Taylor says you can use any auto wax/polish so if you want to clean/wax it, just use whatever you use on your car. 

sitedrifter

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
" I haven't done more than wipe with a dry polish cloth so far."

Almost concur...slightly damp rag is all I have ever used on anything from Ramirez flamencos to Martin HD28s to current Taylors.  BUT - Taylor says you can use any auto wax/polish so if you want to clean/wax it, just use whatever you use on your car.

I may just follow your lead Mike. Damp cloth wipe down and buff with a micro fiber!
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Nevfer mind .... went to the the Taylor site to get my answer.   

Surprised to see the recommendation of super-fine steel wool for the fingerboard, though.  I have some fingerboard cleaner and treatment (a kit my wife picked up a couple of years ago) from Gibson, I think (could be Fender?) that I have not used on my Taylor but have used on other guitars.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:40:39 PM by MikeB »

sitedrifter

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
What about a 'furniture polish' like Pledge or Endust?

NO  :o

Chemicals included in those products could leach under your fretboard, bindings and bridge and cause glue separation.
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MikeB

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
What about a 'furniture polish' like Pledge or Endust?

NO  :o

Chemicals included in those products could leach under your fretboard, bindings and bridge and cause glue separation.

So I read on the Taylor site.   Funny thing is that I have been using Pledge (or equal) on my Epiphone dreadnought since I got it in 74, with no issues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:31:48 PM by MikeB »

sitedrifter

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
Got THE GUITAR ONE product last night to try.

Pros
Cleans well
Protects well
Helps reduce finger prints/smudges

Cons
Does not polish at all

All in one products always seem to leave have a deficiency in one of the areas it is trying to be. In this case, THE GUITAR ONE is not a polish by any means but as a cleaner and protectant it is ok.

With that, I have researched even more and found that Meguiars used to make a guitar car kit for Fender a few years back. In fact, the Meguairs products used for this kit were M09 Swirl Remover 2.0, M07 Show Car Glaze and M34 Final Inspection.

None of them contain silicone and Meguairs says they are perfect for nitro finishes

Maybe I will try  M34 Final Inspection and I already have M07 Show Car Glaze which I will try to get the slight marring out of my Yamaha guitar back
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

harv

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
I also only use a damp microcloth on all my guitars.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
"Surprised to see the recommendation of super-fine steel wool for the fingerboard, though. "

That plus some lemon oil or something similar been around for as long as I can remember re ebony/rosewood guitar fretboards.  If you haven't done it, you will be surprised how it will enhance the look and feel of a fretboard that has been in use for a while.  I do it maybe once a year though not with any precise schedule.

I also have always done the same with the neck because I find that for me the neck plays much easier with a dull finish than a glossy one.  Normally the neck first gets glossy in the 2nd/3rd fret area from normal playing.  If you fret, say, an E-shape chord high on the fretboard and slide down to 1st/ 2nd fret, you can feel your hand "grab" as it hits the gloss.  Since acquiring a Taylor and reading some of their info, I see that they suggest periodic use of fine sand paper to cut that gloss.  I've been doing that for many years but the Taylor recommendations are the first time I had actually heard/read such a suggestion from a guitar maker.

I have a gigging friend that probably sands his guitar's neck every few weeks.  I can usually go a couple of months.

sitedrifter

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »
A glossy neck is the only drawback I see when I get my nitro finished guitar. That particular brand does not do anything but glossy necks
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
But you can un-gloss it if you want though if it doesn't come that way, you may be "reducing" its resale value.  OTOH, you can re-gloss it very quickly/easily with something like Finesse-It II from an auto parts store and it will be back to original.