Author Topic: GS Mini  (Read 1376 times)

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
GS Mini
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »
Has anyone taken there Mini on an airplane lately and put it in the over head?
I'm torn between taking it on with me or getting a hard case and checking it.
I know if I check it i need to detune it first. I love this thing so much I just have to have it with me. But I don't want to hurt it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
GSMini
214sb

Fire

Re: GS Mini
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
I had a GS Mini a few months ago and took it with me on a business trip. NO issues as a hand-carry item. The GS Mini fits perfectly on the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 overhead compartment.

Apparently, this guy didn't have any issues as well.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uakxZCMyw

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

pjroberts

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
I share the paranoia, yet it's the reason I bought the GS Mini, because all my work travel was interrupting my other, more important job (practicing guitar:-). Took me a few months to get the nerve and the requisite research (of course the GS Mini purchase came after researching baggage handling of guitars and this famous guy for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo).

So far so good, first few times on a Southwest 737, where I put it in overhead no problem — But, I also pay for early boarding because SW is first come first serve on seating and overhead storage. SO...when I travelled on Virgin America I expected the same thing, but due to a full plane, they made me hand it over (not to automated baggage, but where they stow it under manually — I nearly had a heart attack. I detuned it and handed it over and it came back in fine shape though the semi-hard travel case us unexplainable stained with back grime. The way back I got it into the overhead storage on their Airbus no prob.

Everyone else I've talked to (and I have asked many guitarists and uke players in Austin airport where they flow like water) has had no problem with any kind of instrument on Southwest, but one guy lost a checked in instrument on one of the other big guys (cant remember).
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
thanks guys.. I'm taken my Mini on with me and thank goodness I'm not flying United  :)
GSMini
214sb

joshsimpson79

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
I've flown Southwest with mine before.  They seem VERY instrument friendly.  Had a few comments on it and one guy practically offered to sing.

However, when I checked my bags, I wore my mini on my back so I didn't have it in my hands for them to suggest checking it, and I tried not to draw attention to it.  Seemed to work for me.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5