Author Topic: Taylor guitar strap....  (Read 6988 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Taylor guitar strap....
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Why, oh why does Taylor make a strap that doesn't fit the end pin BC of the electronics?  I have the honey suede strap and it's nice, once I get it on but I'm afraid it might come off.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor guitar strap....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »
Mine are always a bugger to put on, it is irritating, and yes it always makes me a little nervous, because it never really goes on correctly.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

thomphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
The fix is to wet the end where the slot is, then put a quarter on each side and clamp them as tight as you can with a vice grip. Leave overnight, mission accomplished.
Taylor GS8e
Taylor 614ce 12 fret

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:23:35 AM »
My complaint about Taylor straps is different. Being a relatively short person (5'6") who prefers holding the guitar higher and closer to the chest, I couldn't adjust the two Taylor straps (one suede and one cloth) that I had purchased to a sufficiently short length. Levy straps don't pose this problem for me...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:45:12 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
I've heard some people use a plastic bread clip over top of the strap to keep it from coming off. I think there are also clips made specifically for guitar straps to keep them from falling off. Is the hole cut too large...is that why you're afraid it might come off?
Cindy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »
The fix is to wet the end where the slot is, then put a quarter on each side and clamp them as tight as you can with a vice grip. Leave overnight, mission accomplished.

The last time I read this tip, it was a nickel... now, it's a quarter.  Inflation!  ;)
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

dmccrider

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
I've had good luck with these...

http://www.franklinstrap.com/original-suede-series-land.htm

If you shop around they can be pretty inexpensive, I've got straps I paid a lot more for that I don't like to use nearly as much, awesome value for sure.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FRKSUESTRAP

Joseph

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:51:12 PM »
Feeling your pain.. after my wife convinced me to buy the fancy Taylor Byzantine strap (made by Levy's).. I found that it was near impossible to get it on to the strap button on the neck heel (a 1998 415 jumbo that never had one installed). It was because of the location that the local Taylor shop put the button on.. and the thickness of the strap. I believe that I eventually had to slit the opening a little bit more to get it on.  It's funny, but I keep going back to an old Gibson suede strap that fits like a glove..and the fancy, expensive, Byzantine strap just sits around and looks pretty.  Hope you get your problem solved... plenty of knowledgeable people here to help.. as you know!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:54:05 PM by Joseph E »
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
The leather is stiff and the pin is large.  Keep exercising the leather (it does fit the pin, although not easily), and it will get easier.  I've got two of the byzantine straps and countless honey suede ones, and they all fit the ES strap button fine...  After time, that is...    ;)
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Sounds like I just need to work the strap and use the clamp technique to get it a bit thinner.

Cindy - the issue is the strap is thick and doesn't really go over the end pin completely.  The slit is pretty small and I may take a knife to it when I feel patient enough to go slow.

It's a really nice strap and I wanted to get straps for my K66 and the T5 but I think I will look at the Levy's or the Lakota Leathers ones

thomphoto

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »

The last time I read this tip, it was a nickel... now, it's a quarter.  Inflation!  ;)
Good one, I found out that the quater worked better because it covered a larger area.
Taylor GS8e
Taylor 614ce 12 fret

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
I know this is an old topic but yesterday I received this ad in my inbox: the Acoustic Strap Secure from Stewart-MacDonald: http://www.stewmac.com/npa/0258?utm_source=NPA&utm_medium=email&utm_content=hero_learnmoregrph&utm_campaign=NPA_0258_A_20140401. Maybe an idea...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:11:57 AM by Karel »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
This is interesting because I just called Taylor yesterday about this issue! The customer service tech basically told me to try harder. I thought I was the only one! Will definitely try the quarter-clamp trick tonight. Thanks!
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
I know this is an old topic but yesterday I received this ad in my inbox: the Acoustic Strap Secure from Stewart-MacDonald:
http://www.stewmac.com/npa/0258?utm_source=NPA&utm_medium=email&utm_ content=hero_learnmoregrph&utm_campaign=NPA_0258_A_20140401.
Maybe an idea...
it states it's designed to work with a switchcraft, fishman or lr baggs strap jack, as it replaces the screw-on collar
this collar is not removable

some of the 07 or so, ES end jack power supplies had chrome or gold collars which fit the strap somewhat better,
but i'm not sure why they discontinued it (durability, cost, or just the convenience of having it standardized)

unless lr baggs has changed the thread pitch on the newer end jacks with antique finish, the fishman
collar would not thread onto the lr baggs unit (i've tried), as lr baggs sold chrome & gold caps separately
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:31:39 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

MikeB

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
I know this is an old topic but yesterday I received this ad in my inbox: the Acoustic Strap Secure from Stewart-MacDonald: http://www.stewmac.com/npa/0258?utm_source=NPA&utm_medium=email&utm_content=hero_learnmoregrph&utm_campaign=NPA_0258_A_20140401. Maybe an idea...

Won't work with the Taylor end pin!  It appears to only work on endpins with an external thread.