Author Topic: Strap button location?  (Read 1515 times)

TheWeez

Strap button location?
« on: April 15, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »
After owning and playing the GC3 for about 15 years or so, I picked up a 324ce builders edition. Everything about this guitar feels incredible, but I've noticed the positioning of the front strap button on the back of the guitar makes for a very unbalanced guitar? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I really don't want to put more holes in this guitar, but if I let go for one second, the headstock heads downward pretty quickly. The GC3, and pretty much any acoustics I've owned, have the strap button on the reverse side of the headstock, where it connects to the body. Any advice would be most appreciated.

DenverSteve

Re: Strap button location?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »
I haven't played your guitar but I own a Taylor 717 and it has the same location.  While I prefer the security of the strap wrapping under the heel, I've found no issue with the Taylor location.  You have two options.  You can add a strap button or use the one that's there.  Maybe try a different strap that doesn't slide as easily.  I've played guitars professionally for a few decades and, although I've heard people speak about neck-drop issues, I've always been able to balance any guitar on every strap BUT have found some straps more troublesome than others.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »
I thought it was a little odd at first, but then I noticed that my arm, draped over the guitar, held it in place.  Now I don’t even think of it, even when I switch between guitars with strap buttons in different locations.

But don’t get me started on Taylor’s end pin jack!
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

CoryB

• Veteran Member
  • Oof
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 09:06:25 PM »
Worst case, you could use a headstock strap tie.

CoryB
Acoustics, Electrics and amps. Oh my!

Rene Asologuitar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »
After owning and playing the GC3 for about 15 years or so, I picked up a 324ce builders edition. Everything about this guitar feels incredible, but I've noticed the positioning of the front strap button on the back of the guitar makes for a very unbalanced guitar? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I really don't want to put more holes in this guitar, but if I let go for one second, the headstock heads downward pretty quickly. The GC3, and pretty much any acoustics I've owned, have the strap button on the reverse side of the headstock, where it connects to the body. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Adding a button on the heel is not going to be a problem, aseptically or acoustically/sound.
I would add a button, if you are keeping this guitar.
Rene