Author Topic: Grand auditorium vs grand symphony  (Read 1566 times)

whvick

Grand auditorium vs grand symphony
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
I have a 414 and a Tacoma/Orpheum OM 26 which is basically the same size but a little deeper in the body. I like the fuller sound of the Orpheum and was wondering if the grand symphony would give me that extra volume and depth?
I do not get to go guitar gawking often but hope to later this month. I will only have a few hours so I need to plan which models I will try.
I already have GAS for a 327, but was wondering if I should look at a symphony and orchestra also.
I know the tonewoods also make a difference.
I noticed that the body depth spects were similar for the auditorium and the symphony. What makes them sound different
Thanks
whvick

whvick

Re: Grand auditorium vs grand symphony
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
This makes it look like xx4 and xx6 are basically same

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
I think you're on the right track to finding the tone you prefer by exploring the Grand Symphony (GS) and Grand Orchestra (GO) models.

The only difference between the Grand Auditorium (GA) and the GS is the size of the lower bout; if I recall correctly, the GS lower bout is 1/4-inch wider (measured across the top) than the GA.  It doesn't sound like much, but does produce a deeper tone.  The overall dimensions of the GO take that another step compared to the GS; while the width of lower bout remains the same, the body is deepened by approximately another 1/4-inch.

I really haven't tried the Grand Pacific (GP) models yet, so I can't say how those compare in this mix.  My impression from reading the press is they were intended to derive a more 'Martinesque' tone from Taylor's Dreadnought model; how they achieved that I haven't researched.

When making your comparisons, try as much as possible to play the different body types with the same wood combination (e.g., Sitka Spruce & East Indian Rosewood); that way you're just hearing the tonal differences the body shapes are making, not how the tonewoods are coloring it.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

xtremearmor

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 12:35:57 PM »
The GS has a little more forward shifted upper bout (slightly bigger and wider lower bout)and stocks with medium strings.  By and large that translates to the sound.  Who knows, with the Grand Pacifics now out maybe you can find a good deal on a Grand Symphony.
2016 Custom Shop GA Engelmann/Wild Rosewood

Tomm Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
I have both a 414 and a 416, the sound difference to me is pretty marginal. I already had the 414 when I picked up the 416 on a whim at a great price. I have a definite need for both as I do a lot of alt tuning songs but I can’t say they really sound much different....... at least to me. I probably should have looked for a 616 with its maple tone or perhaps a jumbo, ahh a reason to go guitar shopping !!!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
Theoretically, the GS should provide more volume and depth than the GA due to its larger geometry and medium gauge strings. However, I have compared GS and GA versions of the same wood combinations or series, and sometimes the GA wins and sometimes the GS is equal to or louder than the GA. Perhaps the GP or the GO would provide a greater difference for you, but they are designed to be played with medium gauge strings. Hope this helps....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood