Author Topic: Taylor 322e 12 Fret Tuners  (Read 2324 times)

Danbgt

Taylor 322e 12 Fret Tuners
« on: February 03, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »
A couple of years ago I found a good deal on a Taylor 322e 12 fret so I bought. It’s was a “new” demo model. No wear and tear at all. It’s a V Class. Looks new. Smelled new. Case is new. Sounds great. Tuning pegs suck! Particularly the D and B string tuners. They are notchy, gritty feeling and the black knobs keep coming loose. I have an older, non V Class 312ce 12 fretter. The tuners are great. The ones on the 322 are three on a plate and the black knobs are screwed to the tuning post. The 312 tuner are three individual tuners on each side and the white knobs are, I guess, epoxied on.
Anyway. Has anybody ran into this problem on a Taylor? Any solutions? Should I just replace the tuners? If so with what?
Thanks!!

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: Taylor 322e 12 Fret Tuners
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
I had the same issue with my 2016 era 322 12-fret, but mine weren't 3 on a plate.

Anyway, here's what I replaced mine with

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=10856.msg134685#msg134685

Shaller has similar 3 on a plate tuners, but you'd have to compare the measurements on those

https://schaller.info/en/machine-heads/
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Danbgt

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the info. I’ll have to do some measuring and see what will work. Got to do something. These tuners are garbage. I really don’t understand why Taylor would build a new guitar with, supposedly, new whiz bang bracing and put these tuners on it. Or why they would change to a solid strap setup.

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the info. I’ll have to do some measuring and see what will work. Got to do something. These tuners are garbage. I really don’t understand why Taylor would build a new guitar with, supposedly, new whiz bang bracing and put these tuners on it. Or why they would change to a solid strap setup.

That's disappointing for sure, but don't let it spoil a really nice guitar for you once you get it straightened out. The 322's have a really unique tone for a Taylor.

PS See if you can shrink your pics before posting, maybe shrink it down to a 600x800 size resolution in a graphic program . . . If you're on Apple, the Preview program will adjust the size. Good luck with your replacement tuners.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Danbgt

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

That's disappointing for sure, but don't let it spoil a really nice guitar for you once you get it straightened out. The 322's have a really unique tone for a Taylor.

PS See if you can shrink your pics before posting, maybe shrink it down to a 600x800 size resolution in a graphic program . . . If you're on Apple, the Preview program will adjust the size. Good luck with your replacement tuners.
[/quote]

I posted that picture using my iPad. It looked right but did not post right. First time that has happened.
I like the guitar and it’s sound. I have 4 Taylor 12 fretters and love the size and scale. They just seem to fit me well. I’ll get it worked out.
Thanks for the input.

Danbgt

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 01:21:41 PM »
Final solution:
I am not a professional guitar player. I’m an old guy. I think of myself as a continuing student and hobby player. I’m also cheap. So. I ran across a set of new Taylor tuners online for cheap and took a chance. The new tuners work great. I’m happy and didn’t spend a lot.