Author Topic: Humidifier recs + preserving a signature  (Read 1023 times)

amy71

Humidifier recs + preserving a signature
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
Hey everyone,
   I'm sure this has been asked so feel free to redirect me. I have a Taylor 810 acoustic with case and a Taylor GS Mini with bag. Can anyone recommend a couple of good humidifiers I can buy on Amazon that won't break the bank, along with any advice. I play both pretty regularly at home, so I usually have one on a stand. I won't keep it there if it's not a good idea though. That Taylor case is like a coffin! Any other advice or links relating to this is sincerely appreciated.

Amy
Newbie to guitar, Taylor addict

One more thing: my guitar was signed by my idol with a sharpie marker on the back of the tuning head (official name? Lol). How can I preserve this? Anything to paint over it that's clear?? I don't want to risk messing it up.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Humidifier recs + preserving a signature
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
Here's a response to a recent thread that I posted on the topic of small, room-sized humidifiers.

Don't have a really good suggestion for you about protecting the signature on the back of the headstock without doing some preparation work.  Sharpies are pretty permanent, but if you (or someone you trust) could remove the tuner machines, then mask off/cover the areas you don't want to treat, you could probably use some kind spray wood finish to cover it so it remains permanent.  A couple of quick passes should do it.  Light coatings are best; spray it, let it dry, then spray it again if necessary.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Epic Audio

Re: Humidifier recs + preserving a signature
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
If you are keeping a guitar out in open environment the only way to protect it is to maintain temp (about 70F) and humidity (about 50%) in that environment. Best and least expensive way I found to protect an acoustic guitar is to keep it in its case in an area that maintains room temp (about 70F) and use the D'addario two-way humidification system; it does not require excessive monitoring or water added. I am not sure where you live but many areas have conditions that can fairly quickly damage a guitar if it is not properly kept. Only way to preserve the signature is with some type of protective overlay. Good luck.