Author Topic: Humidifier for wall hanging or stand  (Read 2427 times)

Jacob99

Humidifier for wall hanging or stand
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm a 1st time Taylor owner. I'm trying to keep my new baby properly humidified. I recently got a large size whole house humidifier. It's good for 3600sf supposedly. I have it near a cold air return in my climate controlled basement. It's working great at keeping the basement around 45% but the rest of the house (upstairs) only seems to get to about 30% which is actually an improvement here with our cold New England weather but still a little low for the guitar.

Anyway, looking to supplement with a guitar humidifier but it seems all recommendations usually lean toward a case humidifier or those soundhole hanging type humidifiers. I really would rather not keep it in the case all the time because I love the convenience of just grabbing it and playing it. Are there any humidifiers that do a good job for wall hanging or do I really need to suck it up and keep it in the case?

antsap

Re: Humidifier for wall hanging or stand
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:23:31 AM »
Hey Jacob,

I know what you mean about keeping it on the wall so you can just grab it and play.
I keep my 814CE in its case whenever I'm not using with the d'Addario/Planet Waves two-way humidification system controlling things. But that means, the 814 doesn't get played when I have just 5 minutes to sit and strum.

I keep my GS mini hanging on the wall right next to my lazy boy, and I end up playing the living crap out of that because I can just grab it and go.

I do keep a whole house humidifier running in the room with my guitars. This usually keeps the level between 45 & 52% depending on the weather and heat situation in the house. I really suggest keeping a humidifier in the room itself. Even on the same floor on the other side of my house, the humidify is much lower than in the room with the machine.

2016 Taylor 814CE
2016 Taylor GS-Mini Koa
2012 Taylor Big Baby
2016 Martin D12X1AE

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »
I recently picked up one of these room humidifiers, initially to interject some moisture into the extended stay hotel room that I'm in at the moment.  The heating unit is electric and the warm air it produces is very, very dry (I'm guessing down in the 10-20% RH range), and it was causing me sinus problems when sleeping.

The humidifier is rated for about 400 square feet (which is about the size of a standard hotel room), is pretty simple to use, and is actually nearly silent (which is saying something in my case, since I tend to have excellent hearing).  The other advantage of this model it is there are no filters that have to be periodically replaced.  I also picked up one of these hygrometers, which also works well in my experience and has a magnet on the clip/stand so I can just stick it to the refrigerator in the room.  Using both, I find that I rarely have to run the humidifier above the "medium" setting to keep the room around 40% RH, which seems to be comfortable for me (and is pretty good for my 414ce that I have with me; the in-case HumidiPaks do the rest).

In fact, the humidifier worked well enough that I bought a second one to keep in the room of my house in Texas where I store some of my guitars; the house has electric heat as well, so the room humidifier seems to help prolong the life of the HumidiPaks I keep in those cases.

As an aside, I've noted that Willcutt Guitars in Lexington, KY (where I'm currently working) successfully uses several different kinds of these room-sized humidifiers to augment their central system, some with a much larger capacity, some like the one I got.  Their main building is an old building that was (from what I understand) once a butcher's shop.  So the HVAC system probably isn't routed particularly well/efficiently; and many of the higher end guitars (Taylors, Martins, etc.) they keep on display are on the upstairs floor of the building, in smaller rooms.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
We have always used "whole home" humidifiers in our northern Michigan home. We have dry winters and humid summers, so we know the importance of regulating the humidity, not only for the guitars (and other instruments), but also for our own health and the other items in the home (i.e. wood furniture) and the structure itself. We have 3 levels to our home and have purchased three of these units (one for each level), one of which is in the music room. We are able to maintain our RH pretty consistently between 45-55%. It does take effort to keep them filled and maintain and replace the filters. But, it's definitely worth it. I do keep my guitars in their cases, but I could easily leave them out if I wanted to. I just choose not to. We also use digital hygrometers like timfitz63 uses. We have several throughout the house and a couple different ones in the music room. Bob Taylor stated that the digital hygrometers are the best and to have more than one, because they will vary slightly.
https://www.essickair.com/ep9800-pedestal.html
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

burns

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
get a monitor for your room and try to maintain around 50% humidity.  Taylors have a reputation of being pretty sensitive.

Jacob99

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
Thanks all.

Gordo in OZ

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Do something. I don't know about dry but I do know that Taylors hate the wet. We have had a very weird summer here with humidity around 60 to 75% and that lifted the action to an unplayable level. At last we have had at week or so of normal (currently 47%) and the Taylor has returned to playability without me doing anything to it. I used to live in the tropics, I don't think I could have owned a Taylor there without buying some device to store it in.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

Robert M

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
I live in New England. I have a 25 x 35 foot room dedicated to my guitars. With the humidifier listed below I'm able to keep the room between 45 and 55 percent with no problem. The smaller gallon type just don't seem do the job.

Before I had the humidifier I used the case type but it's difficult if you have a few guitars. I can leave them out of the case now without any problems.

https://www.vornado.com/shop/humidifiers/evap40-evaporative-humidifier   

Jacob99

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
I decided to get one of these and it seems to be keeping the Taylor around 49-50% humidity: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OH30

I'm also running the whole house humidifier that I mentioned. I've resorted to keeping the Taylor in the case instead of wall hanging. Safety first I guess.

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
I decided to get one of these and it seems to be keeping the Taylor around 49-50% humidity: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OH30

I'm also running the whole house humidifier that I mentioned. I've resorted to keeping the Taylor in the case instead of wall hanging. Safety first I guess.

Wow, that's sweet. I hadn't seen an in-hole sponge humidifier with a digital RH & temp readout before... very cool. And not a bad price for a humidifier/hygrometer combo.

My suggestion to all Taylor owners, regardless of your humidification/de-humidification situation, is to get the TaylorSense battery box & app that allows you to monitor your guitar's RH & temp (at the moment & also with 3, 7, and 14-day histories of the RH & temp) from your iPhone (app not yet available on Android). For $80 you get a new battery box to install into your Taylor that has Bluetooth connectivity and it syncs with the TaylorSense app on your iPhone to give you RH & temp readings, along with battery level (so you know when you're getting low on battery power), and impact incidents (where the batt box monitors drops/jostles or even aggressive playing and gives you reports in "G's" (g-force) about any impacts the guitar has encountered). PLUS, the TaylorSense app has added "non-essential" features like a 4-track recorder, a chromatic tuner, and tons of video helps/hints/tips/tricks to better care for and maintain your beloved Taylor guitar. You can install the TaylorSense batt box into multiple guitars (1 batt box needed for each guitar) and then monitor them all on the single app that lists all the guitars you have added that have the batt box Bluetooth capability (just switch back & forth between 2 or more TaylorSense enabled guitars with a swipe/tap).

The unfortunate part of the TaylorSense system at the moment is that the app is only available on iPhone/iOS for now, with speculation being tossed about that the reason the Android OS has not gotten a TaylorSense app version yet is that Android has audio latency issues and the 4-track recorder won't/may not work (but I say then scrap the recorder and let the Android folks have the "essential" features of RH/temp/batt level/impact monitoring and leave the other features to other apps that are available on Android). Anyway, if you have an iPhone and a Taylor guitar, you should have the TaylorSense system as it takes the concerns of RH levels in any humidification/de-humidification situation out of the realm of the "hopeful" and puts it squarely into the realm of the "exact". I love knowing EXACTLY what the RH in my 615ce is at all times. Bravo Taylor!!

You can see the thread talking specifically about the TaylorSense system/app (and the debate about why there is no Android version yet) here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=7731.0

Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)