Author Topic: Just out of curiosity how did you find this forum?  (Read 24297 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Just out of curiosity how did you find this forum?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
I found this forum in the last couple of months while researching various Taylor guitars I was considering purchasing.  Because it was Taylor-specific the info and opinions were much more specific and useful to me - although the Acoustic Guitar Forums is good too, just broader in scope, obviously.

I had narrowed my choice to Taylor primarily due to the sound I was looking for, and (to be honest about something many might consider superficial) I really like the use of Ebony (a real wood) vs the Richlite that the lower-end Martins are using.

When I discovered the 214ce QM Dlx was available, I really started digging, and this was one of the few places that even mentioned it.

And after purchasing, I decided to sign up, because clearly this isn't going to be my one and only Taylor.

interesting historical fact is that the AGF started off as the taylor guitar forum and expanded.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
And after purchasing, I decided to sign up, because clearly this isn't going to be my one and only Taylor.

You aren't alone!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

shinksma

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
interesting historical fact is that the AGF started off as the taylor guitar forum and expanded.
Heh, I did not know that (no reason I should have, I suppose).

You aren't alone!

I do need to qualify that my next instrument is likely to be a banjo, since I borrowed and played one as accompaniment on one of my tracks on our CD we put out last year, and I'd like to futz about a bit more to see if it can be used for any of my new material.

But a Taylor 300 series, perhaps 500 or 600, is certainly on my radar.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
I knew about this forum for years, and actually signed up years ago. Took till recently to get going here...

I am 65 and still gigging. Never learned to use a computer, and just limping along with an iPad!

Thanks for being here UTGF !

Cheers

Paul :)

guitarmac62

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
I also found the UTGF via the AGF, LOL! I enjoy both forums but wanted more Taylor specific info & discussion.

lbanks

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
OK shinksma....color me "green" (envy..lol).  I have had the pleasure of playing the 214ce QM...sigh..I was instantly infatuated.  One build aspect of GS-Mini's, the braceless arched back is shared by the 100 and 200 series; I'm fairly certain that design characteristic is responsible for the incredible volume obtained from the relatively small Mini's and the "quality" of the 100 and 200 voices.  I have played the 300's and 400's, and perhaps due to my aged hearing, I actually prefer the perceived clarity of the arch-back models. 

I have not had the opportunity to play any of the 600 series, but I await the experience with 'bated breath'...I am all over being committed to the 214ce QM as my next Taylor...butttt, I am not really a fan of the 'ce' models...give me the full GA (x14) or GS (x16) (heck I'll even take a dread or a GO :-), w/o the electronics.  Perhaps I am too much of a purist for the built in electronics, but if I was a "true purist" I would insist on the "Battleship"...go figure.  I am disconcerted, however, vis-a-vis the "layered" vs. solid Maple B/S as I do not have enough experience/exposure to the nuances.  Having recently read that Taylor's middle ply in the lam is poplar...dashed my "perception" that they used all the same tonewood(s), thus their term "layered" turns out out to be just marketing :-(  ...  1 demerit for Taylor  ...I am now diligently researching the qualities of poplar as a tonewood.  Having been a carpenter/cabinetmaker/arborist, annddd, a North Georgia resident for ages, I am intimately familiar with poplar.  Trivia: the name is associated with its' tendency to "pop" when it burns, thus not even good firewood unless you use a wood burning stove.  Poplar is deciduous (hardwood), but relatively soft, and is used a lot for cabinet interiors and shelving for same.  It's relatively stable, but I am not sure how I feel about it as a component of my acoustic guitar. 

This is basically academic...the voice of an instrument is a function of multiple variables, either it sound's like what you want to hear or it doesn't.  I mentioned a study earlier in this thread, which after many trials, allowed me to consistently chose Maple (Claro Walnut, darn near a tie) as possessing the tonal characteristics  I most appreciate.  Maple has been used for centuries as a primary wood for stringed instruments, think Antonio Stradivarius :-); it is the most 'transparent' of the tonewoods, accentuating the primary tonal characteristics without the overtones and having a rapid note decay.  This (to my ear) yields a 'cleaner' more distinct balanced spectrum; no overpowering basses, teeth clenching highs, or "scooped" midranges.  But I would be loathe to imply this is what all acoustic guitars should sound like...beauty is in the eye (ear?).

Ok, now having once again overstayed my welcome, I do have a communal request.  With all the talent on this forum, I humbly request feedback on experience with the 600 series, especially as it relates to the instrument of discussion, the 214ce QM; and I know that I can be accused of comparing apples to chocolate, but since it is mostly subjective, that is the type of input I seek.  If I were a rich man (da de da, da de da da - Fiddler on the Roof :-), I would just plan on getting both, but I am wondering whether to go for the 214QM... ASAP, orrr, be content with my Koa Mini and assorted hog, rw, nato, etc., dreads until I can pop for a 600...I don't expect a definitive answer on that question, just personal hands' on experience/opinions.  Also, since I mentioned it, I would also like any feedback from folks with both the 600's and an appreciation for the Maple character, and experience with the Koa line; I have not been able to get a good "ear's on" experience of a Maple vs Koa listen.  The Koa research has also intrigued me as it characteristics, while supposedly "warmer" than the Maple (the only 'lack', albeit a small aspect in the Maple spectrum), are implied to accentuate a similar 'voice'.  I have not had enough time on my new Mini to form an opinion...it needs different strings than OEM, I think, and it needs to be played in...I incurred "Saturday Night Palsy" Christmas night and still don't have sufficient use of my left hand (just when i thought it was safe to go back in the water :-(, to even hold appropriately, much less put fingers to strings on, any of my guitars.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this, and my most grateful laudations to any who put forth the effort to address my interests.

Best to everyone of the nice folk (what the hell, best to the not so nice too...lol) of this forum.

Ladds Banks

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »
OK shinksma....color me "green" (envy..lol).  I have had the pleasure of playing the 214ce QM...sigh..I was instantly infatuated.  One build aspect of GS-Mini's, the braceless arched back is shared by the 100 and 200 series; I'm fairly certain that design characteristic is responsible for the incredible volume obtained from the relatively small Mini's and the "quality" of the 100 and 200 voices.  I have played the 300's and 400's, and perhaps due to my aged hearing, I actually prefer the perceived clarity of the arch-back models. 

I have not had the opportunity to play any of the 600 series, but I await the experience with 'bated breath'...I am all over being committed to the 214ce QM as my next Taylor...butttt, I am not really a fan of the 'ce' models...give me the full GA (x14) or GS (x16) (heck I'll even take a dread or a GO :-), w/o the electronics.  Perhaps I am too much of a purist for the built in electronics, but if I was a "true purist" I would insist on the "Battleship"...go figure.  I am disconcerted, however, vis-a-vis the "layered" vs. solid Maple B/S as I do not have enough experience/exposure to the nuances.  Having recently read that Taylor's middle ply in the lam is poplar...dashed my "perception" that they used all the same tonewood(s), thus their term "layered" turns out out to be just marketing :-(  ...  1 demerit for Taylor  ...I am now diligently researching the qualities of poplar as a tonewood.  Having been a carpenter/cabinetmaker/arborist, annddd, a North Georgia resident for ages, I am intimately familiar with poplar.  Trivia: the name is associated with its' tendency to "pop" when it burns, thus not even good firewood unless you use a wood burning stove.  Poplar is deciduous (hardwood), but relatively soft, and is used a lot for cabinet interiors and shelving for same.  It's relatively stable, but I am not sure how I feel about it as a component of my acoustic guitar. 

This is basically academic...the voice of an instrument is a function of multiple variables, either it sound's like what you want to hear or it doesn't.  I mentioned a study earlier in this thread, which after many trials, allowed me to consistently chose Maple (Claro Walnut, darn near a tie) as possessing the tonal characteristics  I most appreciate.  Maple has been used for centuries as a primary wood for stringed instruments, think Antonio Stradivarius :-); it is the most 'transparent' of the tonewoods, accentuating the primary tonal characteristics without the overtones and having a rapid note decay.  This (to my ear) yields a 'cleaner' more distinct balanced spectrum; no overpowering basses, teeth clenching highs, or "scooped" midranges.  But I would be loathe to imply this is what all acoustic guitars should sound like...beauty is in the eye (ear?).

Ok, now having once again overstayed my welcome, I do have a communal request.  With all the talent on this forum, I humbly request feedback on experience with the 600 series, especially as it relates to the instrument of discussion, the 214ce QM; and I know that I can be accused of comparing apples to chocolate, but since it is mostly subjective, that is the type of input I seek.  If I were a rich man (da de da, da de da da - Fiddler on the Roof :-), I would just plan on getting both, but I am wondering whether to go for the 214QM... ASAP, orrr, be content with my Koa Mini and assorted hog, rw, nato, etc., dreads until I can pop for a 600...I don't expect a definitive answer on that question, just personal hands' on experience/opinions.  Also, since I mentioned it, I would also like any feedback from folks with both the 600's and an appreciation for the Maple character, and experience with the Koa line; I have not been able to get a good "ear's on" experience of a Maple vs Koa listen.  The Koa research has also intrigued me as it characteristics, while supposedly "warmer" than the Maple (the only 'lack', albeit a small aspect in the Maple spectrum), are implied to accentuate a similar 'voice'.  I have not had enough time on my new Mini to form an opinion...it needs different strings than OEM, I think, and it needs to be played in...I incurred "Saturday Night Palsy" Christmas night and still don't have sufficient use of my left hand (just when i thought it was safe to go back in the water :-(, to even hold appropriately, much less put fingers to strings on, any of my guitars.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this, and my most grateful laudations to any who put forth the effort to address my interests.

Best to everyone of the nice folk (what the hell, best to the not so nice too...lol) of this forum.

Ladds Banks

i really enjoy your posts! i think to get the most responses, you should open a new thread in the general section.

it helps keep the discussion focused - and you'll get the most help.

in the mean time i will say
1. not so much difference in the laminate guitars to me in terms of tone
2. solid koa and solid maple really show different css. koa has mid tone warmth, maple is brighter and no overtones - perfect for recording
3. the revoiced 600s feature a torrefied top, and the sugar stain makes the guitar "brown" which makes it more attractive to the casual guitar player, the voice is phenomenal, it is. or overly bright like the previous 600s
4. i would save and get the 600
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

lbanks

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 11:10:18 PM »
Thanks Z.  Yeah my inclination is to tread water and save, at least I can get the model w/o the "c"...mayhaps they will offer a non "e" by then too; seems a bit inflexible that so many of the models are offered with the "e" or nothing.  What 'bout us mere mortals that play and don't WANT to be heard by others...lol.

Also appreciate your advice regarding the zone shift to a new thread...will have to peruse the logistics and see if I can figure out the procedure...then a lot of cut'n and paste'n...only good for so many words per/some indeterminate period of time based on indeterminate variable :-).

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »
Thanks Z.  Yeah my inclination is to tread water and save, at least I can get the model w/o the "c"...mayhaps they will offer a non "e" by then too; seems a bit inflexible that so many of the models are offered with the "e" or nothing.  What 'bout us mere mortals that play and don't WANT to be heard by others...lol.

Also appreciate your advice regarding the zone shift to a new thread...will have to peruse the logistics and see if I can figure out the procedure...then a lot of cut'n and paste'n...only good for so many words per/some indeterminate period of time based on indeterminate variable :-).

you might want to send taylorgirl a private message. she ordered a 914 with no cutaway and no electronics, not sure how she did that

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=7819.0

you could use the same philosophy for the 614...
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

lbanks

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »
Yea, likely classed as a "BTO" (?)...anyone that can call Taylor and 'order'  a 900 series is wayyyy out of my league...would not even feel worthy to request an "audience"...lol.

Thanks zeebow, you have been an inspiration for me...I have become "involved" as opposed to "lurking" as a result of your input.
BTW, I did build a new thread...anyone who opens it will either be really dedicated...or masochistic.

Hey, you've mentioned your 3 kid's...how old?  I got grandkids already gradjiyated college :-).  I'm "Vintage"...lmao...

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
Yea, likely classed as a "BTO" (?)...anyone that can call Taylor and 'order'  a 900 series is wayyyy out of my league...would not even feel worthy to request an "audience"...lol.

Thanks zeebow, you have been an inspiration for me...I have become "involved" as opposed to "lurking" as a result of your input.
BTW, I did build a new thread...anyone who opens it will either be really dedicated...or masochistic.

Hey, you've mentioned your 3 kid's...how old?  I got grandkids already gradjiyated college :-).  I'm "Vintage"...lmao...

BTO stands for build to order, it is taylor's custom order program where you specify every aspect of the guitar, i'm fortunate to just have completed that process and pick my woods at the factory in el cajon

my kids are 12,4 and 2 :)

the cool thing about forums is that it transcends age.

most people (me and taylorgirl included i'm sure) would love to give advice..my point on you reaching out to her is that she can provide details on what she did, to potentially save you hundreds off the 600 series

in fact, i helped my sister pick out her 114e

everyone has a price point. i have friends that ask me how i afford a BTO, yet they spend $100-$200 going drinking every weekend, it's all about choices and what you value is my reply :)

2011 914ce - cedar/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »

you might want to send taylorgirl a private message. she ordered a 914 with no cutaway and no electronics, not sure how she did that

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=7819.0

you could use the same philosophy for the 614...

Zeebow is right. You can order any series Taylor (not so sure about the 100, 200) without a cutaway and/or without electronics. All I did was have my dealer order it the way I wanted it (no c and no e). I had done that before with other Taylors. It's really very easy. You'll have to wait 4-6 weeks for it to be done (my 914 took about 4 1/2 weeks), but that's insignificant to get it the way you want it. Taylor is very accomodating. And doing this is called "modify a model", which is entirely different than a BTO. It saves on the cost too, since you aren't paying for something you don't want or need. Hope that helps.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

lbanks

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Hi agin' zeebow...yeah I knew the acronym, was including the question mark as query if you knew it would or would not be treated as one, but thanks for picking up on it...better twice known than not known :-). But I do plead ignorance on one you used previously, to wit:
" ...show different css."  ??

Yes, the forum is a very good venue for leveling the field...especially when it has good hearted folks participating.  I look forward to learning and growing by participating as and when I can.  You and taylorgirl both appear to be most gracious and giving...of you knowledge and your time.  The best way to learn and grow is to teach...keep up the good work :-).

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
Hi agin' zeebow...yeah I knew the acronym, was including the question mark as query if you knew it would or would not be treated as one, but thanks for picking up on it...better twice known than not known :-). But I do plead ignorance on one you used previously, to wit:
" ...show different css."  ??

Yes, the forum is a very good venue for leveling the field...especially when it has good hearted folks participating.  I look forward to learning and growing by participating as and when I can.  You and taylorgirl both appear to be most gracious and giving...of you knowledge and your time.  The best way to learn and grow is to teach...keep up the good work :-).

that would be my iphone not correctly dictating what i said to it lol

i meant to say the real difference "not css" can be heard in solid guitars - maple and koa sound VERY different..maple is bright, koa is mid range

thx for the compliment. a lot of knowledgeable people here, i'm just ok :)

my fav tone wood combo that i have heard from taylor is cedar/rosewood

2011 914ce - cedar/eir

ParisTNDude

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
That's an easy to answer question. Whenever I want to know the "straight skinny" on any issue, I search for a user forum. They are always the experts on the subject. I was considering sending my 814CE to the Taylor shop to upgrade the ES system to an ES2. I couldn't find a lot of posts on the subject, but those I did find were positive. So, yesterday I sent it off. I am excited to see how it sounds after the upgrade...I'm having Taylor withdrawals!!!