Author Topic: Just a little vent  (Read 3761 times)

Ed422

Just a little vent
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
What possesses people to mass post spam on a board like this?

Sorry.  It just bugged me to the point of commenting this morning for some reason.

I'm going to go pick a tune.

Ed

dcarey

Re: Just a little vent
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
Did you report it to the mods?

Dan
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ed422

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
I just looked at he current activity page and it looks like they are on it. 

Ed

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
Schooner, it seemed to be ads for pills. The spammer had 280+ posts when I came on, and while his posts were being deleted, he was creating new ones! ::) Fortunately it's all taken care of now.

To Ed and others, sorry it took so long to fix the problem. Josh is looking into ways to prevent this from occurring. Thanks for your patience! :)
Cindy

Ed422

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Cindy and Josh, not a complaint against you guys.  You guys are appreciated.  I just wonder about what sort of jollys someone would get out of posting stuff like that.

Ed

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
It was over-whelming....

I'm not sure if posters like that truly believe that they'll get business as a result of the spam.

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
Cindy and Josh, not a complaint against you guys.  You guys are appreciated.  I just wonder about what sort of jollys someone would get out of posting stuff like that.

Ed

There are just jerks in the world, who enjoy making peoples' lives miserable.

dcarey

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Hey, thanks to these spammers, I have more than $15million dollars coming to me next week. Not to mention three truckloads of blue pills!

Dan
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
Well, I'm very pleased to report that I will be able to buy you all a nice BTO! 
You see, I just got word that a long lost uncle of mine died overseas,  :'( and wrote me into the will, all I had to do was wire a $1000 cashier's check so they can process the fees, then I get $35M, yippee! 
Should be here in a week, I am assured! 

To claim your BTO, just send me a cashier's check and your SSN to.......    :P :P :P

;)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Ed422

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
Hey, thanks to these spammers, I have more than $15million dollars coming to me next week. Not to mention three truckloads of blue pills!

Dan

Gonna be tough to top that one.  You make for some *stiff* competition.

Ed

Iplay2

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »

Dan

Dan, did I mention that I am a Nigerian student trying to claim the national lottery? I only need your bank account number and a credit card. I will split the lottery winnings with you 50/50 and throw in a shipping container of blue pills.

Well if Dan can't help, I'm in!  You just need my bank account number?  Would my address or social security number help you out any?

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
It was over-whelming....

I'm not sure if posters like that truly believe that they'll get business as a result of the spam.

Actually the potential for profit is huge. To give you an example a spammer can lease a botnet consisting of 10,000-100,000 infected computers for as little as $40 an hour. Now using that botnet, a spammer could potentially send 6 million+ spam messages a day. We will assume the spammer is selling a $50 item that cost $5 to make. If as few as 0.001% of the recipients respond (a typical response rate) the spammer is making over $270,000. Spam is big money... in fact, there are several software tools that are available for companies to create their own spam to advertise.
For email spam, getting a list of valid emails to spam is also cheap. Last I heard the going rate was about $100 for 10 million valid email addresses.

Just a little food for thought. ;)
Darrel

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-[