Author Topic: What's the Value of a used 618fe  (Read 34876 times)

jw3571

What's the Value of a used 618fe
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
Anyone have any guess as to what the value of a 618fe is?  There aren't any on ebay to judge off of.  Does being a FE give it more value and is there chance that makes it more valuable down the road?

mikeguywest

Re: What's the Value of a used 618fe
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
As far as its value (used) that, of course, depends on a few different variables (age, condition, past maintenance, etc). This guitar would be practically new, as they just came out. My take on why one might be used and for sale is that the current owner felt it was too large. The tone on these are excellent (to me anyway), so I can't imagine why someone would buy one then turn right around and sell it. Maybe they bought it on a whim and once they recovered from a Road Show or FYF hangover decided they couldn't afford it. All that to say that though it is used it is probably in mint condition (you'll have to investigate that).

As far as its value down the road, that depends on a few variables too: supply and demand being the top tandem two. Though quality guitars are made to stand the test of time, and are great instruments to hand down to the next generation, they are not made and sold as retirement investments. The fact that it is an LE will, I believe, help to maintain and possibly increase its value, but don't bank your financial future on it. There really is no way to look into the future to know if any particular guitar will be in such demand that they will resell for as much or more of their purchase price. For instance, with the ongoing innovations in guitar construction at TG there are new guitars that many players will want over some of TG's vintage guitars. Old is cool, but won't necessarily sound better even after decades of "opening up."

Bottom line: It's worth as much as you are willing to pay for it, AND enjoy playing it.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
Maybe XX% of the original MSRP. It would also depend on whether you are getting the extras that came with it (certificate, strap & FE booklet) and their condition as we'll.

edited for pricing discussion -
please utilize PMs
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:19:07 PM by UTGF-Team »
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
Anyone have any guess as to what the value of a 618fe is?  There aren't any on ebay to judge off of.  Does being a FE give it more value and is there chance that makes it more valuable down the road?
there's a member here who sold one recently -
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=4158
you may want to send him a PM & see how that transaction worked out

the adi bracing, aa flamed maple, headstock inlay, extra goodies & condition cigfan mentioned
may  play a part in a little added value, but they original sold for the same $ as a standard 618E &
most people that are interested in one know that - i saw a used 528e FE go for a ridiculously low $
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/