Author Topic: My missus is trying to talk me out of flipping my 618FE. What to do??????  (Read 4730 times)

lestergibson

I haven't really being playing for mainly two reasons: 1. It's a FE and I'm worried about dinging it and 2. I prefer the comfort of the GA.

It goes against the instincts to treat it as a 'case queen' but I always pick up a GA when I play.

Her point is that I don't need the cash so why should I move it on?  She also makes the rather cold-hearted point that it's a FE and there aren't many of those about so keeping it may be a good 'financial' decision on down the line.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Martin 000-15sm pretty soon so it'll be even more likely that the 618 will get played even less than it does now.

A pal of mine is really keen to buy it off me and I don't want to keep him hanging on while I twist in the wind about it.

Help!!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:42:04 PM by lestergibson »
2010 Les Paul R0
2003 USA Strat w/ Bare Kuckle Irish Tours
1991 Jackson Fusion XL
Double Fat Mutt Strat w/ Bare Knuckle Mules
Yamaha Pacifica 120s
Crafter TGAE/06
2007 Sanford (Furch) OM5V
2012 GA3
2012 GA8
2013 Furch G20-CM

mikeguywest

Re: My missus is trying to talk me out of flipping my 618FE. What to do??????
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
If it's too big (it IS a large body), and is uncomfortable to play, thus doesn't get played why keep it around. Even an FE won't increase in value much if any at all until 50-100 years from now. Personally, I think if you're not going to play it you should sell it. If you are going to sell it, now is the time, because now is when folks are wanting to buy these guitars. If you wait too long there will be other FE's that people will be buying instead. Of course, if you are overcome with feelings of generosity and have the need to be philanthropical send me an email and I will be happy to send my address. Ok, Ok, I won't hold my breath  :o

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
Are you a collector or a player?  The answer to that question will guide your decision.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
Are you a collector or a player?  The answer to that question will guide your decision.

Guitars or wives????

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »

Guitars or wives????

Seems that would be mutually exclusive if you are "collecting."   8)  Well, I know I can only afford one of one of those, and a handful of the other.  I think I made the right choice.  ;)

Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »
Don't believe a Taylor  regular production FE is an epoch-making event so play it without guilt!!! 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
This bit of advice from a guy who has been playing for 49 years, and been married for 41... trust your wife's instincts.  Unless, of course, she is telling you you don't need another guitar.  Then, you're on your own, 'cause I have no experience with that situation.  ;)

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

joshsimpson79

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
This bit of advice from a guy who has been playing for 49 years, and been married for 41... trust your wife's instincts.  Unless, of course, she is telling you you don't need another guitar.  Then, you're on your own, 'cause I have no experience with that situation.  ;)

Captain Jim

Well, I certainly agree that a wife can be very wise.  At least mine is.  However, I would ask yourself if you're going to play it much or will it sit in its case?  If so, I would sell it now, at it has been stated, people want them.  You probably should have some guitar that is not so nice you're that worried about dinging it.  It will happen at some point.  It always does.  Just ask yourself if the guitar is worth it if it's in it's case most of the time?

Are first editions and limiteds really worth that much more as far as resale goes?  There can be a big difference when selling them new, but I don't usually see a big difference when they are used.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

sojiro

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
If it were me, the answer would be simple. I'd find something comparably priced that I know I'd play, and then I'd tell the wife that I decided to trade in the 618 to get something you'd like better and play more often. I'm pretty sure you could find another guitar in that price range you'd really like to have.  ;)

lestergibson

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
All good points, for and against but I've decided to let her go, the guitar that is!  My missus is a keeper alright and has been TOTALLY supportive in everything.  The worst thing I can say about her is that she's OCD on housekeeping and that's not much of a complaint. She's hot too; I punched waaaay above my weight 25 years ago:)

I sit and look at the guitar and I think, wow; you are just beautiful.  Then I pick it up and start strumming away and I think, gawd, you sound really good.  Then I notice the shoulder starting to ache so I pick up a GA and I think aaaaaaah.

It's too good a box not to get played so..... she's going.

Thanks for all the replies:)
2010 Les Paul R0
2003 USA Strat w/ Bare Kuckle Irish Tours
1991 Jackson Fusion XL
Double Fat Mutt Strat w/ Bare Knuckle Mules
Yamaha Pacifica 120s
Crafter TGAE/06
2007 Sanford (Furch) OM5V
2012 GA3
2012 GA8
2013 Furch G20-CM

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
All good points, for and against but I've decided to let her go, the guitar that is!  My missus is a keeper alright and has been TOTALLY supportive in everything.  The worst thing I can say about her is that she's OCD on housekeeping and that's not much of a complaint. She's hot too; I punched waaaay above my weight 25 years ago:)

I sit and look at the guitar and I think, wow; you are just beautiful.  Then I pick it up and start strumming away and I think, gawd, you sound really good.  Then I notice the shoulder starting to ache so I pick up a GA and I think aaaaaaah.

It's too good a box not to get played so..... she's going.

Thanks for all the replies:)

I know exactly what you mean.  Dreadnaughts do the same thing to me.  I have not had the opportunity to try a X18 but they probably would be the same for me as a dread.  I have had to let all my dreadnaughts leave to be played elsewhere.  GA's are my E ticket as well.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

mikeguywest

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »
I loved the idea of the GO, and when I played one at a RS last year it sounded really nice. But I did notice that it was a bit too big for me. I have a GS and have owned a couple of DN's and that's as big as I can handle. Here's Taylor's stats on the sizes:

width      depth
DN   16            4 5/8
GA   16            4 5/8
GS   16 1/4      4 5/8
GO   16 3/4      5

That's a pretty noticeable difference

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
Sounds like a classic example of Grand Funk.  Bigger is not always better.  Tough decision--but there are a myriad of wonderful instruments configured more to your comfort zone.  Good luck.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »
Boy am I glad I'm a big guy! Love my 618e FE!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

jw3571

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
I love my 618fe but the thing is really big.  I'm looking for something a little more comfortable.