Author Topic: Hi UTGF members! I'd love some forum feedback from you all!  (Read 9472 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Hi UTGF members! I'd love some forum feedback from you all!
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
Hello UTGF members!  Once again thanks for making this one heck of a community!  It's an absolute pleasure to serve you here!

Well, our membership just passed the 1400 mark!  We also are just a smidgen past our 1st birthday!  Just tonight I upgraded our forum software to the latest version.

I would love some feedback about the forum:

1. What do you like?
2. What do you dislike?
3. What can we do to improve it? (items, boards etc...to add or delete?)

Thanks everyone! 

In a little bit, I'll be running another free giveaway contest.  Stay tuned!   ;D

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Hi UTGF members! I'd love some forum feedback from you all!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
Gosh, JJR - this place is great and you and the mods are doing a fantastic job!!!

However, since you asked my wishlist consists of loosening the price discussion policy - I can't even post how much I paid for an iPhone.  I just finished responding to a member who wants a Taylor but can't afford one and I would like to have been able to at least post a range of prices for him/her to consider - as we all know used GS Mini's are pretty affordable but how do I tell him that - PM I guess.  Both newbies and not-so-newbies could learn from such a discussion.

And, develop an iPhone/iPad app (tho' that's probably driven by the forum software).

Oh, you can send the free Taylor you are giving away to me - I'll PM you my address....... ::)  ;D

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
I have to agree with TaylorPlayer516: this is a very nice home on the internet that you provide for Taylor folks.  AND, the price moderation... I am pretty sure it won't bring down the economy if we occasionally post a price (or at least a range) for something.

Thanks for all you do to make this place pleasant.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

PS  I'm OK if you send the free Taylor to TP516... she did ask first.  :)
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

mrklab

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Great site! I visit daily. I would also like to see a moderation on the price discussion "ban". Then we wouldn't be reading posts like "What's the best Taylor value for less than XXXX dollars...".
1996 Taylor 710
1978 Ovation 1612 Balladeer
1969 Harmony H162 (a blues machine!)
2003 Epiphone Hummingbird
2010 Taylor 114ce

Fire

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
Love: Everything but....
Hate: Pricing Discussion Policy

Thanks for giving us a wonderful forum. Kudos to all mods.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »

+1000!

I also dislike the price discussion ban, and having stuff edited by "UTGF-Team" that doesn't respond to PM's asking for clarification.

Other than those two major issues, I like it here and would visit more if that was resolved.
:)
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
Love the site and grateful to you for it; have no gripes about anything.

Eddie
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
I really like the site and the people that run it.  Thanks for having me here!
I am not really concerned about the price ban since there is the PM function that can be used for this.  I would however like to see a iPhone/iPad edition if at all possible.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Fire

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
One of my favorites here at the UTGF is reading the posts of Michaelpedia
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
Since the ban on mentioning prices, which I will never understand, especially after years of having withstood it at the Acoustic Guitar Forum for years has already been mentioned, it's not easy coming up with things that I dislike, but I have thought of two that haven't yet come up.  One is the inability to insert YouTube video clips into the posts*. The other is the very short time one has to correct a post after submitting it before a notation is added stating that the post has been edited. I review my posts before hitting the SUBMIT button but sometimes notice a mistake only after my submission appears in the thread and I would like to have a longer grace period during which time I could make a correction or addendum without having my post flagged as having been edited.

*Some forum software accepts the tags, [youtube]  [/youtube] around a YouTube URL which then displays the video clip within the post.

[size=78%].[/size]

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
...The other is the very short time one has to correct a post after submitting it before a notation is added stating that the post has been edited. I review my posts before hitting the SUBMIT button but sometimes notice a mistake only after my submission appears in the thread and I would like to have a longer grace period during which time I could make a correction or addendum without having my post flagged as having been edited.

LOL ...I couldn't think of anything, myself ...then this.  Totally agree!  The writer-geek in me checks before I hit "submit," then the OCD kicks in and I want to refine my text.  Then I'm flagged for "editing" and now I feel like I've "cheated" ...as if I've changed my sentiment after-the-fact out of whim.   Hahaha ...I need another cup o' Joe.

You're rockin the forum, Josh.  Thanks for the countless things you do to make this community work, friend!!

Edward

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
Love the forum Josh -- Taylors are the main reason I started visiting the old forum and it's been great having a Taylor-centric place to catch up on updates and get photos, reviews, and feedback from like-minded Taylor players.

I think that as the forum has been growing, it has been nice to have more voices and a wider range of experience, which makes for less of the occasional debating and monologuing that could sometimes get a little testy. I had to step away from the forum for a while there because of that, but it seems things have been really quite nice around here lately.

Can't decide how I feel about the pricing issue -- I see good points on either side of the fence.

I agree that maybe some of the categories could get consolidated. I wouldn't be opposed to having just one Taylor subforum where all things Taylor go (acoustics, electrics, news, reviews, tour photos, etc)

One more idea I think I've floated before is that of maybe looking into the feasibility of a special edition UTGF guitar every year, maybe with the help of one or two of the awesome dealers that post here. Would be fun to get everyone's heads together and come up with a special guitar -- or even just shared appointments across several models -- that forum members could purchase. Taylor's BTO structure would make this even more simple than other brands who have done these kinds of special runs (Martin, Larrivee, etc) and maybe Taylor and/or a dealer could sweeten the deal a tiny bit, who knows? :)

Love the forum, thanks to everyone for making it a fun place to visit -- although I admit it is dangerous when I see and read about all your new guitars! :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Like many others have said, I'd like the No-Price Rule eliminated. I feel that AGF has become a more open forum with the changing of that one rule without any ill-affects...

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »

Agreed.  Would like to know the rationale behind the no price discussion policy.  As probably everyone knows, AGF lifted its price discussion ban many months ago and I'm not aware of any issues it has caused.  They have a separate forum for dealers to post ads.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »
I am so glad this forum is here. Great folks ... Great management ... Even if you don't change a thing, but ... since you asked:

I am throwing my hat into the ring for getting rid of the pricing ban. So many benefits to the membership would be gained. I mean unless there is some agreement that would be broken or something, I think we should be able to discuss $$$.

The only other thing I would like to suggest is some way (in your profile maybe) to turn on "notify" for any thread you start or reply to. I find it very handy in other places. I know you can turn it on by thread here but I'm thinking it would be more convenient if you could set that as a preference.

Other than that, just keep doin what you're doin!  :D
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber