Author Topic: Hi UTGF members! I'd love some forum feedback from you all!  (Read 9557 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hi UTGF members! I'd love some forum feedback from you all!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
From the comments generated so far, the no-pricing discussion seems to be one of the hot topics. Personally I can see it from both points of view but don't particularly have a preference. Since Taylor doesn't want any prices other than MAP to be posted publicly, I can understand the reasoning behind not allowing pricing discussions; however, as a consumer, I also appreciate knowing what is a good price and how to obtain those good prices.

As a mod, I realize I probably 'x' out my fair share of prices, but I'm simply following forum rules. Sometimes I do feel a bit like Piers Morgan with all those big ol' x's I overwrite into the posts! ;D

As far as the Marketplace, I like how the AGF charges members to be able to post a 'for sale' item. I haven't been over there is a while, but they used to offer either a one-year price, or a fee for a one-month alternative. The money generated would help to offset the costs of running this forum. And it would be nice to have 'official' Taylor dealers on board.
Cindy

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »
Being member #100, I feel like I am sort of an original member and I really like the site. There is not much I would change and take the opportunity to thank you for a job well done. It's nice to be part of this "community."

A lot of people are talking about the no-price policy. I can understand why dealers and manufacturers would prefer that we don't discuss the prices paid for new guitars, but I think it is entirely reasonable that we can mention prices paid for used guitars, amps, and accessories.

I also presume that a variety of manufactures and dealers browse this forum (and others) and I think what we post gives them good feedback. I think sponsorships from some manufactures (instruments, strings, accessories, etc.) would be a good idea, and in that line of thought, something I have not seen in any other forum is a "Dealer Corner." This could be a place where dealers or manufactures (who contribute with a sponsorship) could post special offers and new announcements to a captive audience. The benefit to them is that they "advertise" to a targeted group of current and potential customers, and the benefit to us is that we may get an early tip on new items, or specials for being members of UTGF. And to sweeten it for UTGF, it might not be a bad idea to have a "charter membership" (similar to AGF) in which these members are privy to certain dealer specials that non-"charter members" would not have access to. The cost shouldn't be prohibitive, but it would help offset the cost of running the site, especially if you could get some corporate sponsorship/participation.

Great site! Thank you!

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

PureTone

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:22:25 AM »
Personnel at Taylor has changed since this forum has started, most significantly the Director of Brand Marketing and the Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

There was a mention of a UTGF t-shirt, which did not go much past the discussion phase.

Trying to generate income to operate a forum that was granted permission by a guitar manufacturer to use their name in an unofficial capacity could be a subject of a rather sensitive nature.

I would contact Taylor's Public Relations department to be certain that there are no boundaries being overstepped.

Unlike this forum, the AGF has no brand specific subforums, but they still have managed to obtain manufacturer sponsors.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
Personnel at Taylor has changed since this forum has started, most significantly the Director of Brand Marketing and the Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

There was a mention of a UTGF t-shirt, which did not go much past the discussion phase.

Trying to generate income to operate a forum that was granted permission by a guitar manufacturer to use their name in an unofficial capacity could be a subject of a rather sensitive nature.

I would contact Taylor's Public Relations department to be certain that there are no boundaries being overstepped.

Unlike this forum, the AGF has no brand specific subforums, but they still have managed to obtain manufacturer sponsors.

If I'm not mistaken, AGF started out being primarily a Taylor forum. Then it changed to a more open/generic forum with a Taylor sub-forum, which eventually disappeared.

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

PureTone

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »
It is easy to make suggestions when it is regarding what one would personally like to see happen.

It is quite another to look at the big picture, which will hopefully be of positive benefit to the company that allows this forum to be here and for overall growth and well being of the forum.

Changing a simple rule to appease a handful of members might seem like it's the right move, but non-constructive criticism certainly is not.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
It is easy to make suggestions when it is regarding what one would personally like to see happen.

It is quite another to look at the big picture, which will hopefully be of positive benefit to the company that allows this forum to be here and for overall growth and well being of the forum.

Changing a simple rule to appease a handful of members might seem like it's the right move, but non-constructive criticism certainly is not.

Has anyone given non-constructive criticism?

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
As a long-term AGF member, both before and after the change in pricing discussion, I don't believe I've ever seen a post that pitted one dealer against another with specific pricing. However, I've read many that dealt with price ranges, especially for relatively novice guitar buyers. When dealer recommendations are requested over there, price is part of the equation as a general guideline, but so are service and selection. I really like the UTGF, but feel that it would better serve a guitar-buying and using public to allow pricing as long as it doesn't pit one dealer against another based on price or any other factor...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:40:47 AM by jrporter »

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
Hello All!  Please know that I have read every single post and will continue to do so.  Keep em' coming.  ;)

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
As a long-term AGF member, both before and after the change in pricing discussion, I don't believe I've ever seen a post that pitted one dealer against another with specific pricing.... I really like the UTGF, but feel that it would better serve a guitar-buying and using public to allow pricing as long as it doesn't pit one dealer against another...

If the concern about price discussions is that they will pit one dealer against another, one solution would be to allow price discussions but not allow the mention the source of the purchase.  That could be handled via PMs, as it is today.  I can think of no reason to prohibit price discussions on used instruments since most of those transactions are between two individuals.

Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
Any forum with Edward and mgap contributing is a good forum! I'm ambivalent on the price discussion.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Well this thread sure turned into a downer in a hurry.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
I know I am in the minority here but, I like the no pricing policy.  I also would like to see the minimum post before you can sell on the forum left intact.  I personally think that these policies are a benefit to the forum. :) ;) :D ;D

Additionally, for now I would like to see the number of sub-forums left at the number you have them now, maybe in the future more could be added, but for now Do we need more?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:43:49 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

e8n

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
I like most everything.  I think there is a bit of over-moderation of posts.  I've had several where the mods went in and changed a few words of my posts.  This is just silly and making way more work out of something that its worth.  If the post is offensive, delete it and warn someone, if it is not, leave it alone.

I do like the fact that it seems like vendors are more under control.  It doesn't seem like they are lurking ready to pounce so they can get sale anymore.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

PTC Bernie

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
I know this is a tall order and not likely to happen, but how about posting pix without linking to a photobucket type site?  There are a few reasons for that, not the least of which is that, if you read the fine print, anything that you put out on a lot of those sites become property of the site and they can use your pix anyway they want, including selling them as stock photos and THEY get the money, not you. 
Bernie

2006 Webber 000-12 fret

1995 Taylor 612C Custom

1968 Aria 6815 12 string

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
Has anyone given non-constructive criticism?

Jim
If someone doesn't like something, that's perfectly acceptable.
If they have no intention of trying to invoke change and the purpose of the post is just to complain about it at every opportunity, then it's a waste of bandwidth.

With this I am in perfect agreement.

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com