Author Topic: What attracted you to Taylor?  (Read 12464 times)

oldbandguy

Re: What attracted you to Taylor?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
Simple answer...YouTube. 

I purchased a cheap Goya acoustic about 40 years ago to take a guitar class as an elective in college.  Pretty much sat in the closet for the next 39 years.

This past January I decided I wanted to start playing guitar "seriously", but wanted to see if I could find one that would not make me want to put it the closet after a few weeks.  I did a good bit of research about beginner guitars online and watched many reviews of the Taylor Academy series.  Just about everyone said it was a GREAT guitar for a beginner, but certainly not the cheapest.

I went to a local guitar store that has over 1,000 guitars in stock.  I spoke to the owner and asked him "if you had a good friend starting out on guitar is there one that you would recommend over any other?"  Without hesitation he said "I'd tell him to get a Taylor Academy 10e."  Unfortunately (for him) he didn't have one in stock...told me he sold them as quickly as he could get them.  He wasn't sure when his next one would arrive...hoped it would be in a couple of weeks.

I went home to check into ordering one online.  Price was basically the same ($649) everywhere.
There was, however, one listed on Guitar Center USED for $350 in Indianapolis.  I called the store and they told me they had just taken it in on a trade and was actually the first and only Academy they had ever taken in used.  He told me it was in like new condition and "I think it's the best guitar made for a beginner."

Two days later it arrived on my front porch.  I took it to my local shop to have a new set of strings put on and the owner told me "I'm not upset you couldn't wait for me to sell you a new one.  You got one hell of a deal." 

I've played it EVERY day now for 10 weeks, usually for an hour.  Don't know if I'll ever get another guitar, but if I do I know it will be a Taylor.

TLAW

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
playability above all.
1913 Weymann Banjolin
1996 Strat/Texas Special
2003 Martin HD28
2007 Rover F Style Mandolin
2015 Eastman VL501 Violin
2017 Lamberti Master Series Guarneri Violin
2017 Taylor 914ce Sunburst
2019 Collings CJ35 Sunburst
Several other Also Rans

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 12:26:56 AM »
Simple answer...YouTube. 

I purchased a cheap Goya acoustic about 40 years ago to take a guitar class as an elective in college.  Pretty much sat in the closet for the next 39 years.

This past January I decided I wanted to start playing guitar "seriously", but wanted to see if I could find one that would not make me want to put it the closet after a few weeks.  I did a good bit of research about beginner guitars online and watched many reviews of the Taylor Academy series.  Just about everyone said it was a GREAT guitar for a beginner, but certainly not the cheapest.

I went to a local guitar store that has over 1,000 guitars in stock.  I spoke to the owner and asked him "if you had a good friend starting out on guitar is there one that you would recommend over any other?"  Without hesitation he said "I'd tell him to get a Taylor Academy 10e."  Unfortunately (for him) he didn't have one in stock...told me he sold them as quickly as he could get them.  He wasn't sure when his next one would arrive...hoped it would be in a couple of weeks.

I went home to check into ordering one online.  Price was basically the same ($649) everywhere.
There was, however, one listed on Guitar Center USED for $350 in Indianapolis.  I called the store and they told me they had just taken it in on a trade and was actually the first and only Academy they had ever taken in used.  He told me it was in like new condition and "I think it's the best guitar made for a beginner."

Two days later it arrived on my front porch.  I took it to my local shop to have a new set of strings put on and the owner told me "I'm not upset you couldn't wait for me to sell you a new one.  You got one hell of a deal." 

I've played it EVERY day now for 10 weeks, usually for an hour.  Don't know if I'll ever get another guitar, but if I do I know it will be a Taylor.
Great narrative  :) Thanks for posting.
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)
1977 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador (Classical)
https://litledog.blogspot.com/p/introduction_26.html

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
Hi Mark,

My 'Taylor Journey' is HERE

I hate typing  8)
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

mindhorn

• I work alone.
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
The action. All other brands i tried in my price range had much higher action. I mean c'mon guys let's make the effort.

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
The action. All other brands i tried in my price range had much higher action. I mean c'mon guys let's make the effort.
Yeah, the "playability" of Taylor acoustics off the shelf is very attractive, and was one of the features that impressed me in my GC Playaround (mentioned in the OP). But I know that Gibson sends new acoustics out with higher action, simply to allow new owners to set their own. (I called Gibby Montana some time ago and they confirmed this . . . ).

But when you buy a new instrument, don't you want it stage or couch worthy right out of the box? With my current mindset, I would rather buy a guitar knowing I wouldn't have to "adjust" it. One of the reasons I'll be a Taylor player for the duration.
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »
Yeah, the "playability" of Taylor acoustics off the shelf is very attractive, and was one of the features that impressed me in my GC Playaround (mentioned in the OP). But I know that Gibson sends new acoustics out with higher action, simply to allow new owners to set their own. (I called Gibby Montana some time ago and they confirmed this . . . ).

But when you buy a new instrument, don't you want it stage or couch worthy right out of the box? With my current mindset, I would rather buy a guitar knowing I wouldn't have to "adjust" it. One of the reasons I'll be a Taylor player for the duration.

I didn’t know that about Gibson, but it certainly makes a lot of sense. I bought a J-15 in 2015 because I wanted a Walnut tonewood and I liked the idea of an All-American made guitar. The first thing I had to do was carve a new bone saddle because the action was so ridiculous.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
. . . . but it certainly makes a lot of sense . . . .
It certainly does, but I think Gibson hangs themselves with this practice. People that don't realize this play Gibson Acoustic in a GC or SamAsh showroom, and get turned off.
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »
. . . . but it certainly makes a lot of sense . . . .
It certainly does, but I think Gibson hangs themselves with this practice. People that don't realize this play Gibson Acoustic in a GC or SamAsh showroom, and get turned off.

It’s the little (or not so little) things like this that make a huge difference when picking a guitar. Add this to the list of reasons Gibson may go bankrupt this summer. I think I speak for most when I say that I just want to play a new guitar and not have to worry about much or anything before that first strum.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

Soof

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:40 AM »
As has been said by everyone, it's the quality,  playability,  sound, etc.

When I went shopping for an acoustic a few yrs ago I made the mistake of buying a semi-cheapo $300 thin bodied guitar and regretted it.   I wrote that off to my lack of knowledge about guitars.  (Hadn't played in 30 yrs.)   I continued to search for a quality sound without a high price tag.

Of course, the story ends with playing a Taylor at a music store 5 miles from my home that I didn't know existed.  (That's what 30 yrs absence will do!)  When I strummed the 110 I knew I found my guitar!
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

fuman

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
The GS.  It's a totally different sound.  I get that most of you probably like "the Taylor sound," but it wasn't for me.  The exception is their koa guitars.  The first koa I ever played was the low-end special run they did in the 90's and I was sorely tempted.  I even asked the CEO, but she said, "Not in the budget."  They do great things with koa. 

I would add that I have become a big fan of the GC/12-series models, and if I were going to buy a Taylor, I would probably get a 712ce. 

taylorgtr

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
I played one back in 1998....and have been in love ever since.

Charmed Life Picks

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »
Good to see everyone showing their love for Taylor. Quite a company.

scott memmer
Charmed Life Picks is endorsed by Eastman Guitars. We are also endorsed by stellar Bluegrass guitarist Brad Davis.

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
Hey Folks - my own story has many of the points already brought up.  I loved the depth of tone that I got from every single Taylor I played, especially compared to my Yamaha FG800...which isn't a bad guitar in its own right.  Then there was the playability.  With my Yamaha, I still have some simple chords that I have to fret perfectly to avoid fuzziness, buzzing, etc.  The Taylors are so much more forgiving.  And lastly, I am really impressed with the wide range of options that Taylor has, and they have well made options that will fit any budget.  I knew I wanted a US made guitar, and I got my 310 as a demo axe....but even if it was new, it was still $300-400 less than comparable Martins and Gibsons.  It was a no brainer for me!!!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »
Looking for a 12-string I "ran into" the AGF, where Edward was selling his 655ce 'cause he'd just bought an R. Taylor 12 string.

Although I eventually sold that one, I now have a 562ce and a Custom 12 fret GC (an all mahogany precursor to the now standard 522c). Also just sold a GS Mini-M that I wasn't playing anymore. So I'm now 2-Taylors, 1-Martin, 1-McIlroy, 1-Cordoba and (for sale) 1-Lowden.

By the numbers, Taylor is my favorite!

Oh sure ....blame me, Marty!!!  (I still have that shot of the 655 in front of your Christmas tree ...wow, that's a beaute!!!)  :D
Wow, selling the Lowden ...I'm surprised, bud!

For me, "what started it" was hand on neck, finger a few chords, hit a few notes, and that was the hook.  But the more I tried, the more I learned, and the more I compared with other acoustics and makers, the more Taylor impressed me.  Gestalt.  I cannot help but love what a Taylor guitar brings to the table! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:26:56 PM by Edward »