Author Topic: New Member From SE PA  (Read 1275 times)

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
New Member From SE PA
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »
"Hi...my name is Marco and I am addicted to Taylor Guitars'  ;D

Thought I'd introduce myself and say hi.  I've been lurking here for a while and am a big Taylor Guitar fan.

In 2009, I had a case of GAS and was at the local Sam Ash demoing guitars to replace my mid-80's Yamaha acoustic.  I needed something with electronics.  Just when I thought I found one I wanted (an Ovation 12-string), someone suggested I try a Taylor.  What?  One of those 'special' guitars from 'behind the counter'?  I never played any of those before!  The rep put a 110e in my hands and it played like butter and sounded great...wow.  This 110e was the first Taylor I ever heard or played...and I purchased it on the spot.

I didn't really know too much about acoustic guitars at that time, but since that day I fell in love with Taylor Guitars.  Through reading 'Wood and Steel', I learned more about the Taylor brand and tonewoods in general.  Great advertising, eh?  Playing various guitars in music stores throughout the years, I liked the tone of EIR compared to other woods.  In early 2016, I found a local 816ce for sale.  Before buying it, I spent several hours in Guitar Center playing many Martins, Gibsons, Seagulls, Taylors, and any other solid wood guitar I could get my hands on.  I still liked the sound of the EIR over all the other tonewoods and the Taylor brand still felt best in my hands.  I purchased the used 816ce.

Then comes the Taylor Road Show a couple months later.  I attended and was able to sample the guitars present.  I was still very happy with my 816ce affter playing all the new 800 series...until that darn BTO came into my hands (with the 'very large' price tag).  This guitar...wow...it played great, smelled great, sounded fantastic, and looked stunning.  Everything about it was...well, just WOW!  I asked the reps what it was and they told me...that's cocobolo...it's like rosewood on steroids.  They were right.  this guitar was speaking volumes to me (pun intended).  There was no way I could take that guitar home with me, especially with the 816ce purchase made just months prior.  Divorce is more expensive.

After that night, I became 'cuckoo for cocobolo'.  I had GAS...really, really bad GAS.  I began to devise a plan to sell my 816ce and find a 2008 fall or 2012 spring limited GA/GS.  The problem was both my wife and I liked the sound of the 816ce (she said the 110e sounded too 'thin') and I had only just purchased it a couple months prior.  What to do?  Two (expensive) 6-strings are not an option for me.  Then by the grace of God, a cocobolo PS56ce came up for sale.  This was a perfect oppurtunity!  I was able to justify the replacement of the Fender 12-string that gave me hand cramps and I satisfied the cocobolo GAS pains.  I didn't need to sell the 816ce because that was my main 6-string and now the PS56ce becomes my main 12-string.  Christmas comes early!  Attached are two of my three Taylors

Sorry, it's a bit longer read than I originally thought.  Anyway, looking forward to sharing here at UTGF.  Thanks for reading and have a great day.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New Member From SE PA
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Welcome. You're in good company, because most of us are also addicted to Taylor guitars.  ;D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »
Marco Polo - welcome to the group -- and the Taylor Family -- seems to be a common "illness" -- we all tend to have GAS every now and then!!!
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Welcome Marco!  I also live in SE PA. This forum is a great place to learn and enjoy!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum Marco Polo.  So, you became Cuckoo over cocobolo.  It is a very nice looking cocobolo PS56ce.  I really like the cocobolo tone, I own a 2012 SFTD featuring Coco.  I play it regularly.  I have never had the opportunity to play a 12 string with cocobolo.  Nowadays I don't have a Taylor dealer near me except guitar center and I'll doubt that they will ever get one for me to try.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »
Thanks again for the welcome.

The cocobolo looks red in direct sunlight, and orange/brown in indoor light - like a cinnamon.  MGAP, does your change color as well?

Call me crazy...but I see two faces touching in the lower left of the wood grain...I call this my 'Divine Intervention' guitar :)

Merry Christmas all!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:01:49 AM by Marco Polo »
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX