Author Topic: '07 Classic SB stuck again!  (Read 905 times)

Sword Bringer

'07 Classic SB stuck again!
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
This is the third time I've tried to replace the strings on my '07 Taylor Solid Body Classic. I love this guitar! It is easily the most playable electric I own.
That includes my new PRS Custom 24. Unfortunately, the string ball from the D string keeps getting stuck in the bridge. I have to go to to a luthier
every time it happens. I always change my own strings. So it's an inconvenience, and frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem? Last time I asked
some folks who can't believe their could be any design issues with anything Taylor became awfully curt with me. Sorry, but nothing is perfect.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this since it happened the last time. I believe I may take up their offer of a replacement bridge this time around.
I was truly hoping it was some kind of fluke. As I said, this is my favorite guitar and it seems like a silly thing to have to put up with given the incredible
quality in design these instruments represent.

SB
"From each according to his ability, to each according to their need."

Taylor 814CE Brazilian
Taylor 414CE Indian
Yari DY62C
'07 Taylor Solid Body Classic
PRS CE-22 Alder
'05 AmStd Strat
'67 Gibson SG Standard
Godin Session
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
Fender '65 Twin Re-issue
Fender Ultra Chorus
BSHT60

rbr49x

Re: '07 Classic SB stuck again!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »
Can't help much - new to the SB - but I had seen your previous mention of this issue while I was researching these guitars and was nervous changing strings that had been on my 2008 NOS - they'd been on there for 5 2/3 years and all came out without issue.
Ron
2014 Taylor 712ce
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop/Walnut
2015 Taylor T5z-12 Custom Koa
2021 Taylor 224ce - Koa DLX Special Ed. satin/natural
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD - Euro Spruce/Figured Mahogany
(My son has my GS Mini Mahogany and SolidBody)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »
i haven't heard of the ball end sticking in a Taylor SB saddle before & after searching,
i have yet to find another instance of this happening on another guitar. other than here -
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1803
i'm not saying that it didn't happen, but if there was a casting flaw or flash in the saddle, then it
should simply be a matter of either deburring the flash or having the offending saddle replaced

is this the same guitar that fell & developed a buzz ?
there were 3 strings that had this issue before & by using clear coat strings by aurora,
the concern of the ball end getting stuck in the saddle was corrected, was it not ?

when information is passed through the grapevine & someone says "this is what so & so told me", unless
the person that made that statement, whether it's a friend, brother, luthier or tech is actually going to say
it themselves or if the person's name is going to be revealed, not to put them on the spot, but to know that
there isn't any misinterpretation of what was said & in what context, then i take any posts or threads with
a grain of salt, especially the vs. threads, because someone is looking is for conflict, drama or a debate,
usually just for the sake of that to see how much time someone else will spend in making a response when
the point is moot, or a solution to a problem is not the goal, but rather to vent to make one's self feel better

if you wouldn't mind, please share the method your luthier uses to remove the ball end from the saddle -
an angle pick would likely be able to dislodge a ball end that, for some reason, will go not back through a saddle
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

perhaps one of the reasons why the SolidBody has been discontinued may  be because the bridge design
is different from what is & has been available & that the procedure for making adjustments is unorthodox to
the point that they either could not be done quickly or easily enough by a tech during a live show or something
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/SBBridgeAdjustment.pdf

if the saddle or saddles on that SB have not been replaced, better hurry -
these guitars have been discontinued & there is no reason for parts
to continue to be made or stocked, once the current supply is depleted

case in point-
if one has a non-functioning fishman prefix series on board pre-amp in a 03-earlier Taylor, the options are to it repaired
by fishman  or to find a dealer that has a leftover in stock because the pre-amps are no longer made as no large scale
builder installs them OEM & the specific problend set up used on the NS5Xce series/up nylons isn't used on other makes
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »
You could always try Fender Bullet strings.  Instead of a ball end, they have a "Bullet" shaped end that was originally designed for Strats.  They sound, feel and last just fine, and may make your life easier.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato