Author Topic: Problem with SB Classic Bridge  (Read 1923 times)

Sword Bringer

Problem with SB Classic Bridge
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
My '07 Taylor SB Classic is my number one go to guitar. I've changed the strings several times on it with no issues to speak of. This time I've got three sting end nuts stuck in the bridge. I've tried scrubbing them out, shouting them out, MD-40ing them out. Nothing works. I took the plastic plate from the back off to see if I could access the bridge that way. No go. Anyone else experience this problem or have suggestions as to how to get the old string ends out of my #1. I need my Taylor or I'll have to resort to my using my museum quality '68 SG at my next gig.

SB
"From each according to his ability, to each according to their need."

Taylor 814CE Brazilian
Taylor 414CE Indian
Yari DY62C
'07 Taylor Solid Body Classic
PRS CE-22 Alder
'05 AmStd Strat
'67 Gibson SG Standard
Godin Session
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
Fender '65 Twin Re-issue
Fender Ultra Chorus
BSHT60

Sword Bringer

Re: Problem with SB Classic Bridge
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
I called Taylor Service. They were literally tongue tied. They said they could not help me and referred me to the local certified Taylor Tech. He fixed it for me free and said. "Who ever said there's nothing new under the sun has never owned a Taylor."
It was kind of a left handed compliment. He said they have done some amazing R&D.

The holes in the bridge are too small for the end balls of some strings. Taylor recommends Elixers. That's what these were. But, they don't say you shouldn't use any other strings. The tech was going to call Taylor for me and see if he could get a new bridge assembly,which have larger bores. :) He said, they are clearly aware of this issue just as they were with the ES AA battery problem. He said they used to replace both the ES systems that had stuck batteries in them and the bridge under guarantee.  No more.  In his opinion, sometimes they rush stuff out the door too fast before they fully understand all the potential issues. He said they have shelled out a lot of money fixing these issues and can't afford to do it anymore.

I don't know if he's blowing smoke, but he certainly has dealt with a lot more Taylor issues than I ever will.

I'm just happy I have my classic back which sound fantastic with Clear Coats on it, BTW. I can't wait to play out again!

SB

Taylor 814CE Brazilian
Taylor 414CE Indian
Yari DY62C
PRS CE-22 Alder
'05 AmStd Strat
'67 Gibson SG Standard
Godin Session
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
Fender '65 Twin Re-issue
Fender Ultra Chorus
BSHT60

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »
 How did he get them out of the bridge?
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
I called Taylor Service. They were literally tongue tied. They said they could not help me and referred me to the local certified Taylor Tech. He fixed it for me free and said. "Who ever said there's nothing new under the sun has never owned a Taylor."
It was kind of a left handed compliment. He said they have done some amazing R&D.

The holes in the bridge are too small for the end balls of some strings. Taylor recommends Elixers. That's what these were. But, they don't say you shouldn't use any other strings. The tech was going to call Taylor for me and see if he could get a new bridge assembly,which have larger bores. :) He said, they are clearly aware of this issue just as they were with the ES AA battery problem. He said they used to replace both the ES systems that had stuck batteries in them and the bridge under guarantee.  No more.  In his opinion, sometimes they rush stuff out the door too fast before they fully understand all the potential issues. He said they have shelled out a lot of money fixing these issues and can't afford to do it anymore.

I don't know if he's blowing smoke, but he certainly has dealt with a lot more Taylor issues than I ever will.

I'm just happy I have my classic back which sound fantastic with Clear Coats on it, BTW. I can't wait to play out again!

SB
tongued tied ???
i seriously doubt that

i'd be more inclined to believe that the guitar was restrung incorrectly & the wrapped
section at the ball ends were somehow bent in the process, causing them to get 'hung up'

MD-40 ...
really ???

the 2 AA ES power supply shouldn't have to be replaced under warranty, as a result of negligence -
just the battery manufacturer's warranty does not cover damage to a component,
Taylor really should not have not to replace a component due to a a faulty battery

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Sword Bringer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »
Michael,

I didn't MD-40 anything, I was making a funny, a long with the "Shout it out." There was nothing wrong with the strings or the way they were installed. They were Elixers. I put them in myself. I have restrung guitars thousands of times.

The Tech stated that the holes "are too small." I believe him. He's checking to see if they will send a replacement bridge. He also stated that Taylor has replaced AA battery compartments in the past, when batteries have become fixed in them. Whether they should have replaced them or not is a matter of their internal customer relations policy. This tech told me they stopped doing it because they had an overwhelming number of them. I choose to believe this also, since I've seen this complaint many times on other BB's.

He offered an opinion that Taylor, while highly innovative, sometimes doesn't get the bugs out of everything before they release it to the public. That's a point in their favor. We wouldn't have electric lights if they had to be perfected in the lab before they were used. This kind of thinking is why we lag behind the rest of the world in renewable energy sources. Somehow, people are convinced that the technology must be perfect before it's used on a mass scale. It cost 4 cents per watt for photo-electric energy in Germany vs. 6 cents here. All technologies are a work in progress. Many times it makes more sense to run with the concept and let it evolve to perfection. Presumably, that's what Taylor has done. Good for them!

All I am am doing is reporting what the Tech told me has historically been the case.

To be honest, he had his back turned to me when he removed the stuck ends, so I'm not sure how he did it. I do know he needed to remove the whole bridge assembly- something I would not have attempted for fear of throwing off the intonations.
To top it off, he charged nothing.

In conclusion, I installed Clear Coat Strings and they fit the existing holes perfectly. The guitar sounds fabulous. I never used Clear Coats before. I have been using Infields on most of my electrics. with great success. I now live happily ever after with a fabulous Taylor Solid body Classic that sounds better than ever.

SB

Taylor 814CE Brazilian
Taylor 414CE Indian
Yari DY62C
PRS CE-22 Alder
'05 AmStd Strat
'67 Gibson SG Standard
Godin Session
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
Fender '65 Twin Re-issue