Author Topic: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?  (Read 15597 times)

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
I don't get that non-supporting attitude.  We've been married a lot of years and have always supported each others' desires.  On rare occasions, I do have to remind my lovely wife that when we got married the vows were a bit different... mine were, "Love, honor, cherish."  Hers were, "Love, honor, obey."   :P

Not gonna happen.  When I remind her of her "breach of contract," we usually have a good laugh, and find something else to do... together.  Heck, we worked together most of our adult lives, tent camped all over this country by motorcycle, RVed and boat cruised... you need a certain measure of tolerance to not just survive, but thrive, through all that.   :)

Or, you could learn songs that she likes.  ;)

Good luck,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

RGtheMusicGuy

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
I don't get that non-supporting attitude.  We've been married a lot of years and have always supported each others' desires. 

+1 on this point.

My wife has always supported my music playing, if anything she's seen how bad my attitude can get when I don't have music in my life.  I think what took my wife a bit of time to understand is buying the $1000 guitar vs the $100.  However, after a couple of years she's come to understand that as well.  While there is a limit to the buying/selling/trading what not, she has been very supportive.  Actually a couple months ago my wife even started hinting that she wanted to learn how to play, and after looking around I ended up getting her a Mandolin which she has fallen in love with. 

ewalling

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
I think what took my wife a bit of time to understand is buying the $1000 guitar vs the $100.  However, after a couple of years she's come to understand that as well.  While there is a limit to the buying/selling/trading what not, she has been very supportive.  Actually a couple months ago my wife even started hinting that she wanted to learn how to play, and after looking around I ended up getting her a Mandolin which she has fallen in love with.

I trust you didn't spend more than $100 on it!       ;)

jjracer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
My wife is very supportive, comes to all of my gigs, or when ever I play.  She does feel I already have too many guitars and should sell some before I buy more and she is probably right especially some of my electrics that I really don't play. 
Guitars? Yes still have them
If I'm not here....... I am somewhere else

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
My wife is very supportive.  I own way more guitars than I can play at one time, but she understands that the each fill a need for me, music wise and GAS wise ;D
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Mwhite6464

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »
My wife is awesome, no complaints, very supportive.  Very supportive, even after 24 yrs married.

Tayzalor

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »
My DH is very supportive about my playing. As far as guitar buying goes, I am far more financially conservative than he is. So when I mention purchasing something new he knows it's not a whim. Besides, he is much more of a gear junkie about his hobbies than I am about mine.

Our marriage is so much better when we give each other reasonable space to pursue our separate interests. We've both gone overboard at times and have had to be reined in, but it's also a chance to learn. He is not a musician by any stretch of the imagination. And I know way more about motorcross, golf, and hockey than I ever thought I would!
Jeanette

2011 712ce
2012 GS Mini - Mahogany

SMan

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
My lovely bride's first comment when I see and play a guitar I like is "why don't you buy it"?  She also encouraged me to take the two Charles Fox build classes I have attended.  Life is good.

boxcar

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
My wife of 23 years says she's all for me having a hobby and approves of my guitars.  However I often get "the look" when I am playing, like I'm supposed to be doing something else and I have to ask her "Is there something I'm supposed to be doing today?".  She'll either say no and walk off or say "I thought you were going to fix the roof", or "I thought you were going to get gas in my car" in which case she will storm off, which makes me feel apprehencious about whether or not she approves.

I have asked her repeatedly if it's ok and she adamantly says yes.  She does question why I need so many (I have six and they all fill a need - I like to play Hendrix stuff on an electric, bluegrass on a dread, Bach on a classical, etc).   And of course, she questions why I need to spend so much per guitar (as another poster mentioned).  When she does that I just ask her how much she has invested in purses and she'll shut up.

I never play anything for her because if it's later than 1965 she isn't interested in it, or says she hasn't heard of it.  I've tried playing Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven for her (both of which I play pretty well) and she says she doesn't recognize them.

Frankly, I feel like my playing and GAS are "tolerated".
Boxcar
2011 Taylor 414ce
2012 Guild F412
2012 Martin HD-28V
2011 Yamaha CG 172SF
2011 Fender Stratocaster
2012 GS Mini
2012 Martin 000-18GE sunburst
..and I still want more!!!!

awdxtc

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
My girlfriend loves it actually.  She asks me to play her something everyday.  As a matter of fact last week she asked me what guitar i would really like to have.  I asked why and she responded because I am buying it for you for your birthday. We have been in contact with Jim from Guitar rodeo and I will be receiving a modified Taylor 816ce!!

Glen

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
Feel bad for those guys who have non-supportive spouse's. If momma ain't happy, you ain't happy.

I told my wife when I got married that music is a big part of my life. This includes buying and selling guitars and gear.  She has never had one issue. Not one. She is very supportive and would buy me anything or never say a word about anyting in the world I could want. Of course, our financial life does not suffer due to my passion.  Perhaps with some, the expense takes a big bite out of the family budget and I could understand some consternation.

I love my wife, she is my soulmate and the one I will spend the rest of my days with.  But, if she told me guitars or her...... in the immortal words of  Brad Paisley "I will miss her" .....LOL

egkor

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
My girlfriend loves it actually.  She asks me to play her something everyday.  As a matter of fact last week she asked me what guitar i would really like to have.  I asked why and she responded because I am buying it for you for your birthday. We have been in contact with Jim from Guitar rodeo and I will be receiving a modified Taylor 816ce!!

WOW!!!  :)

Where's that "Like" button?  :)

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

awdxtc

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
Yes I am very lucky to have such a wonderful person in my life.  My Birthday is in Febuary and she said I hope you don't mind but you are going to be getting it early.  816ce with bone nut and saddle, florentine cut away and gotoh 510s= yes please.

Terry

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
My wife has been very supportive. She has  bought for me, for birthdays and Christmas, some of my nicest guitars and is always behind me when I find something that strikes my fancy.  I think I may have more restraint than she does. :)
Sorry to hear some wives don't feel that way.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

joshesc

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »
My wife is super supportive of my playing. I will echo several other members and say that it helps for us both to be supportive of each other's hobbies. My wife is an equestrian fan and we travel to horse shows with her horse at least one weekend a month.

Because I am supportive it helps her to be supportive of my hobby and passion. So much so that she has purchased a GS mini for me and will be giving it to me on our 1st anniversary which is Monday. We travel a lot together doing short term mission work and she is so excited that I have a guitar to bring along now! I'm pretty sure God knew what He was doing when He brought us together ;)
2006 314ce
2012 GS Mini