Poll

If you could only have one, which would it be?

Grand Concert
19 (27.1%)
Grand Auditorium
32 (45.7%)
Grand Symphony
11 (15.7%)
Dreadnought
5 (7.1%)
Jumbo
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Your favourite Taylor shape  (Read 13523 times)

Black Beauty

• Black Beauty Music
Your favourite Taylor shape
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:33 AM »
I saw there was another thread but there were way too many options for a basic view of which is the most popular (e.g. separating cutaways with non-cutaways, etc). Vote away!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Your favourite Taylor shape
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
The other shapes are nice (I've owned them all), but GA is the go-to guitar for me. (See signature)
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
Haven't tried them all yet.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
fun poll!

The only Taylor I own is a GS model...which I love!  To be honest with you I had never had the opportunity to play a Taylor dread, but I was blown away by their DN8 I believe...very rich sounding...nice and boomy as well!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »
I love my 210 but aside from the sentimental value behind it, I'd probably have to say that the 12-fret GC is my favorite Taylor shape.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Drifter

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
I've gotta say that the GA in the big leaf maple does it for me but like CIGARFAN, I haven't tried them all.
I have to ask, is there another jumbo model that's current but not the Kottke sig? I have a feeling that a jumbo 12 would be earth shattering but without the signature, maybe a bit more affordable.
Whats the difference between he dread and the big baby in size? Drifter
Kel
'10 Taylor 614CE
'76 GUILD G75 & 90's beater
Fender F80-12 String Dread
Fender 50th STRAT, Fat Tele, Jazz
PRS Swampash Studio & CU22/12 20th
Rick 381 V69/12
Gibson JA, LP, ES137 Ctm, Vegas
Steinburger Spirit 6
ALL COLLECTING DUST DUE TO THE 614CE!!

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
Grand Concerts for me, although the Grand Auditorium is a close second.
To my ear the GCs have the best string the string balance, which suits my solo fingerstyle playing the best.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

ewalling

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »
Grand Concert for me, too. I think the dimensions of the body and neck make this guitar the most comfortable shape of any make or series I've played. However, despite the claim of Taylor consistency, I do think the sound of them can vary, so if at all possible, I'd say play before you pay.

Drifter

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
Still wish I could hear from someone with a Jumbo, 6 or 12. Perhaps you've had the opportunity to compare one with a dread?
Kel
'10 Taylor 614CE
Rick 381 V69/12
Steinburger Spirit 6

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Still wish I could hear from someone with a Jumbo, 6 or 12. Perhaps you've had the opportunity to compare one with a dread?
hi kel,
i was able to compare a dreadnought & jumbo, 6 string, sitka spruce top, quilted maple back & sides -
it was difficult for me to discern with any certainty that the jumbo had deeper bass response & more
brilliant trebles, which would make for a perceived 'dip' or slight attenuation of the midrange, but
at this point, i do know that i preferred the balance, projection & overall tone of the dreadnought

these were both older models, with mahogany necks (rather than maple), 'classic' non-forward shifted
scalloped x bracing & the jumbo was of the original design (the most recent, but discontinued as a
standard model for this year, jumbo has the same body shape that phased-in during the design in 00)

probably what interests me is what the future holds -
there is word of both redesigned dreadnoughts (david mayfield plays one of the prototypes),
jumbo (perhaps making it's appearance next year) & a new, 'yet-to-be-determined', body shape

also, the deep-body dreadnought has been added as a BTO option :D
it is also available in a baritone configuration (along with the dreadnought, GA & GS)  :o
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
No surprises here, although I thought that the GS would have more love. Small sample size!

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
there is word of both redesigned dreadnoughts (david mayfield plays one of the prototypes),
jumbo (perhaps making it's appearance next year) & a new, 'yet-to-be-determined', body shape

Very interesting. I'm anxious to see what Taylor does with their dreadnoughts going forward -- the deeper body and/or revoicing seems to indicate a little more "vintage" or "traditional" flavor, which is what I love about the 12-frets I've played.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »

Very interesting. I'm anxious to see what Taylor does with their dreadnoughts going forward -- the deeper body and/or revoicing seems to indicate a little more "vintage" or "traditional" flavor, which is what I love about the 12-frets I've played.

+1 on the deep body dreadnought. I would definitely consider getting a 12-fret version.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Drifter

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
hi kel,
i was able to compare a dreadnought & jumbo, 6 string, sitka spruce top, quilted maple back & sides -
it was difficult for me to discern with any certainty that the jumbo had deeper bass response & more
brilliant trebles, which would make for a perceived 'dip' or slight attenuation of the midrange, but
at this point, i do know that i preferred the balance, projection & overall tone of the dreadnought

these were both older models, with mahogany necks (rather than maple), 'classic' non-forward shifted
scalloped x bracing & the jumbo was of the original design (the most recent, but discontinued as a
standard model for this year, jumbo has the same body shape that phased-in during the design in 00)

it is also available in a baritone configuration (along with the dreadnought, GA & GS)  :o

Thx for the response, all very interesting. Guess we'll Stay Tuned on that jumbo. I just want a 12 with guts! Figured I'ld ask what people are liking.
Anyone ever see the MTV vid of SRV doing LIFE BY THE DROP? That's the big sound I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:55:10 PM by UTGF-Team »
Kel
'10 Taylor 614CE
Rick 381 V69/12
Steinburger Spirit 6

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »
Grand Concert for me, too. I think the dimensions of the body and neck make this guitar the most comfortable shape of any make or series I've played. However, despite the claim of Taylor consistency, I do think the sound of them can vary, so if at all possible, I'd say play before you pay.

I also think that because of the smaller, very responsive body size, the wood choices affect this guitar more than the larger cousins.  For me, the smaller, responsive bodes drove me to use arm rests to keep my forearm off of the top.

Then add the option of the 12-fret version and I think you have more dramatic tone options than any other Taylor body size.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw