Author Topic: G7th Newport 12 String Capo contest winner product report.  (Read 1536 times)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
G7th Newport 12 String Capo contest winner product report.
« on: August 31, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
G7th Newport 12 String Capo.

Update: This report applies to the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad. See below. For a bit more explanation, see reply #4.

I was one of the grateful recipients of the G7th Newport 12 string capo giveaway. Here is my initial finding.   Warning: Wildly favorable!

Received my G7th capo earlier in the week, but here in Boston the humidity has been excruciating (nearly 70% on my Oasis hygrometer) with temps in the 90s and a heat index of well over 100. So I didn't feel that conditions were right for a fair test; in fact, not even right enough to play at all. Today with temps in the 70s and the relative humidity at 45, I broke out the capo and checked it out, including a short trip to the G7th site for background.

Dive In Test Time. First I took out my Taylor 458e-R, let it acclimate, and played a bit. Sounded OK, so I didn't check tuning. I keep it tuned down a half step to D#. Armed with little practical info I just dove in and applied the capo on the third fret. No reason, just did. After adjusting the screw and the capo position a bit, It sounded pretty good just noodling. Maybe a touch off, but no worse than when I was playing 12 string guitars before digital tuners were invented. Or it might have been because there were no true 'open' strings being sounded. I reset the capo to the first fret to compensate my half step down, and played some pieces, hopefully in close to concert pitch.

Contrary to what I stated in the other thread, I did not do "Here Comes the Sun" first, but one of the songs I had played earlier before I applied the capo, "Walk Right In" with vocal. Hey, guitar sounded pretty good with the capo on. I did a couple of Lead Belly  pieces as instrumentals, "Midnight Special" and "Keep Your Hands Off Her", along with Stones' "Factory Girl", followed by a "Roundabout / Pipeline" instrumental medley. Then "Ghost Riders in the Sky", "Urge for Going", "Tambourine Man", "Stairway", and "Sunny Afternoon", all with vocals. Very pleased with the capo.

OK, now time to do "Here Comes the Sun", capoed on the 8th fret (includes my half step) to play D-form in A. Testing capoed strings, it didn't sound so good, so I reset the capo and it sounded much better, but a tad different. Not sure why. Anyway that worked out OK; time for lunch.

Post lunch, put off because this is not the fun part, I tuned up the guitar to D#. Turns out some strings were ever so slightly sharp, but overall pretty good, so I will generally uphold my 'Dive In' test results as valid. Then I capoed on the first fret and checked the tuning. Everything slightly sharp except the 'g' and 'G' strings. Relatively correct and certainly in the ballpark, and not really enough to matter, and played a bit to be sure. Checked capo on the third fret with similar results. Then I went to the 8th fret for "Here Comes the Sun-down". Well most of the strings are a bit more sharp, but all relatively OK to each other except the 'g' and 'G' strings again, which are almost not sharp at all. Still overall sounds OK, but curious. So I tried the capo at the 7th fret, and while the 'g' and 'G' strings were still a hair flat relative to the others, overall it sounded even better than when capoed on the 8th fret. I also noticed that the capo seemed pushed to the limit of it's jaws at the 8th fret, so that may be an issue. I was unable to ascertain the neck radius for the 458e-R, and the Taylor site is useless for searching. Returned 258 results for "neck radius" query.

So the real question is did it work? It was supposed to work without having to re-tune the 12 string, and it passed that test right off the top. I made no tuning corrections for my first test, and some small ones before the 'scientific' test. Overall this is a quality product and does exactly what it was supposed to do. And the anomaly of the g string pair may lie in my poor use of the capo, or perhaps be due to the radius of the neck. Even then, it was way more than acceptable as is.

So my overall first impression is "Highly Recommended", with no reservations.

Some basic background stuff. I do not have air-conditioning, so the humidity was an issue for a few days delay. I use a Korg CA-1 Chromatic for tuning all my instruments. I play fingerstyle and use my own nails as picks. I did not test this using finger or flat picks. The nut width on the Taylor 458e-R is 1 and 7/8 inches, or 1.875". I was unable to ascertain the neck radius for the 458e-R, and the Taylor site is useless for searching. Returned 258 results for "neck radius" query.

Susie previously did a great review of this product,
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=9090.0

I wrote this independently, and was happy to see that I took a different tack and avoided stepping on her 'literary' toes. Sorry if it was 'wordy', but I wanted to show my thoroughness, trying to utilize a personal touch. Also sorry about picking any nits. My conclusions are the same, maybe even a bit stronger in the plus column. I still use a Shubb capo for 6 string and ukulele, but will not be needing my Shubb 12 string capo again.

I am in no way affiliated with the G7th Capo company. I used the one I got in the contest to test and report on the product. In fact, I am now thinking about their Heritage 12 string Guitar Capo, the one with the Adaptive Radius Technology.

I may revisit this again if I gain any new insights.

No animals were harmed in production.

Update alert:

This report applies to the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad.

So if you wish to get one of these, please make sure you get the one with the 'Compensated String Pad'. It does state "Compensated String Pad" on the packaging.

Don
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:57:03 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: G7th Newport 12 String Capo contest winner product report.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
Great review, Don. I value other's insights. I am sold on it, and won't be using my Shubb capo on my 12 string anymore either.....and that from a long time Shubb user. Your approach was different from mine, and your playing style is too, from the sounds of it. But our conclusions are quite the same. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
Great review, Don. I value other's insights. I am sold on it, and won't be using my Shubb capo on my 12 string anymore either.....and that from a long time Shubb user. Your approach was different from mine, and your playing style is too, from the sounds of it. But our conclusions are quite the same. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Susie,

You are welcome. Least I could do after getting one gratis.

About the playing style, I grew up in the fifties and listened to pop, country, doo-wop, and R&B. Went to school in the sixties, started guitar, and absorbed a lot of folk, old time blues, and English Invasion rock and roll. All of this still forms the basis of most of my music. I play a lot of other stuff, including a lot of older folk, country and rockabilly, on six string. Sometimes I'll play just anything on whatever instrument I have at hand.

Don
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:28:21 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »
Excellent review Donlyn! Enjoy it my friend!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
Thank you, Josh. And I am enjoying it.

Update Alert:

OK, here's an update which may be moot, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 'Compensated String Pad' which is an integral feature of this capo.

Because of my lack of familiarity with G7th capo products, I may have misunderstood this. In her review, Susie used the title phrase, "Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad". I had not realized that this 'Compensated String Pad' may be a new feature, and it is possible that they may have made other 12 string capoes without this feature. In truth, I really do not know if they did, only that I need to amend my report to mention this feature. So if you wish to get one of these, please make sure you get the one with the 'Compensated String Pad'. That is the one I used for the report.

Thanks for reading,

Don

-
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:27:44 PM »
Thank you, Josh. And I am enjoying it.

Update Alert:

OK, here's an update which may be moot, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 'Compensated String Pad' which is an integral feature of this capo.

Because of my lack of familiarity with G7th capo products, I may have misunderstood this. In her review, Susie used the title phrase, "Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad". I had not realized that this 'Compensated String Pad' may be a new feature, and it is possible that they may have made other 12 string capoes without this feature. In truth, I really do not know if they did, only that I need to amend my report to mention this feature. So if you wish to get one of these, please make sure you get the one with the 'Compensated String Pad'. That is the one I used for the report.

Thanks for reading,

Don

-
Yes Don, they did make 12 string capos before, but the capo with the compensated string pad is brand new. Not even sure if it's available in stores yet, or not. It wasn't when Josh got the capos from G7th.....it was THAT new. We are one of the few to get the first ones.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:30:34 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 06:10:40 AM »
I totally agree with you about this capo. I have been using it on my new 562ce and it is awesome!
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
I totally agree with you about this capo. I have been using it on my new 562ce and it is awesome!
Happy to hear you like it.....I'm not surprised. They did well in its design and functionality.
Good choice on a 12 string.  ;)
Susie