Author Topic: Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo  (Read 5826 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo
« on: July 08, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad

The folks at G7th recently announced their newly designed 12 string guitar capo with a compensated string pad, available on their Newport and Heritage models.  After contact with the G7th Company, we agreed to put their new Newport capo to the test and post a product review here on the forum.
https://www.g7th.com/12-string

Background to Review:
I have primarily used a Shubb 12 string guitar capo on the various 12 strings that I have owned, since the 1970’s. So, to conduct this review, I thought it would be beneficial to put the Shubb and the G7th through the same applications, to see how the new G7th capo performs (sort of like using my Shubb capo as a baseline). This may be helpful to others here, because I realize many guitar players use Shubb capos. It’s not my intent to discredit the Shubb capo.

Also, during my review, I used my Taylor 562ce 12 string guitar and a Snark Super-Tight tuner.

G7th Claims:
“Allows all 12 strings to be fretted with the same tension, eliminating tuning issues common to other 12 string capos.”

“Like a compensated saddle on an acoustic guitar, the patent-pending Compensated String Pad takes into account the different gauges between the bass and octave strings, compensating for them with the ridges in the rubber over the fingerboard. This means all 12 strings are fretted at the same time and under the same tension, so you won't pull any out of tune.”

“Suitable for both acoustic and electric 12 string guitars (except for Rickenbacker 12 string guitars, due to their reversed octave string positions).”

Appearance and Build Quality:
The capo has a brushed silver finish which is classy looking. It is very well constructed. The operation of both the flip lever (clamp) and the adjustment knob are easy and smooth. There is real nice padding to protect the surface of the guitar neck.

G7th provides a Free Lifetime Warranty on all its capos.

I compared the G7th to the Shubb in both physical size and weight. They are almost identical in size. Using a USPS scale, the G7th weighed in at 1.7 oz. and the Shubb at 1.9 oz. So, they are very close to the same weight.

REVIEW:
I started the review process by ensuring my guitar was in tune, with no capo.

I first capoed the guitar on the second fret with the Shubb capo. As I have always had to do (and what is a common “problem” with all 12 string capos), I had to tighten the Shubb until my octave strings where not muted. If you don’t apply enough adjustment pressure, the thickness of the bass strings will prevent the capo from applying enough pressure to the octave strings, causing them to be muted. However, as a result of increasing the pressure, the bass strings are pulled sharp. So, I checked the tuning. The low E bass string was the worst out of tune (sharp). The A bass string was also pulled sharp, as was the D string, but by a lesser degree. So, at this point, I would need to retune the guitar before I could play.

I removed the Shubb, ensured that the guitar was still in tune (with no capo) and grabbed the G7th for the test. I had to get the feel for the compensated pad (teeth-like pad), to ensure it “seated” on the strings properly, before clamping down. I slowly slid it down onto the strings from the top of the neck, to where I could feel it settle in to the correct position. I had to do this several times to get used to it. Not really a problem, but something new to get used to. After several times doing it, I was getting a real feel for it.

Having never used a G7th capo before, I was really happy to see that with theirs, you clamp the capo on the guitar and then adjust the clamping pressure (opposite of a Shubb). I liked that….a nice feature.

I was not sure what the correct adjustment pressure was, so I hit each string to ensure they were all ringing clear. I noticed that if you don’t apply enough pressure, the highest string sets (high E and B) were muted. Inherently, this is common, since they are the furthest away from the effects of the clamping pressure. So, I continued to tighten the capo until those strings all rang clear. It wasn’t an undue amount of pressure, just more than what I anticipated when I clamped the capo on the guitar. I took the capo off and redid this several times, using my right hand to rock the capo a little towards those strings when I clamped the capo. It seemed to help direct the pressure toward those strings just a little more. Once the pressure was set on the capo and all strings were ringing clear, I checked the tuning. Wow, the octave strings on the bass strings were in tune, as were all the bass strings. I don’t think the use of any capo is going to result in perfect tuning, but the strings were in tune to a degree that retuning really wouldn’t be a must.  I strummed some chord/melody tunes and then put it to the real rest by doing some fingerpicking. I use National fingerpicks, so I can clearly hear each string, including the octave strings. It sounded really good, and I didn’t have to retune first.  I played around with it and loved what I was hearing….clear and in tune. And like my husband reminds me, I am VERY particular about my guitar being in tune.

I repeated my review process on several different frets up the neck and experienced the same, with both the Shubb and the G7th.

One last thing…..as with the design of a Shubb capo, the G7th is a low profile capo. For me, it didn’t interfere with my fretting hand at all.

In Conclusion:
I am convinced that the G7th lives up to its claims. Their compensated string pad nearly eliminates the 12 string tuning issue. I’m qualifying my statement, because I just don’t think you can get an absolutely perfect tuning scenario when using a capo. But, it surely made a significant improvement, to a point where retuning after applying the capo would be very minimal.

I am in no way affiliated with the G7th Company and was an independent reviewer. My suggestion, if you own a 12 string guitar, would be to play around with your existing capo and really see how it is functioning. If you experience the same as most (if not all) of us do, then give the new G7th 12 string capo a try (either the Newport or Heritage models). You will likely be pleasantly surprised, as I was. I hate to say this, but my Shubb 12 string capo is now playing “second fiddle” to the new G7th Newport Capo.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Review of the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
I love my G7th six-string capo,  which is virtually the only capo I use these days. So easy to use, so precise - a real pleasure!

Glad that you're enjoying your Newport as well!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:48:37 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Amos514

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »
Thanks for the review -- very thorough and helpful! I didn't think it was possible to get a 12-string capo that worked. I'll have to check one of these out.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
I love my G7th six-string capo,  which is virtually the only capo I use these days. So easy to use, so precise - a real pleasure!

Glad that you're enjoying your Newport as well!

Thanks for the review -- very thorough and helpful! I didn't think it was possible to get a 12-string capo that worked. I'll have to check one of these out.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. I really did put in the time and effort doing the review. A good product available to 12 string players. Now my 6 strings may need some G7th love.  ;)
Susie

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
Thank you for a great review. My G7th capo is the one I always look for, often bypassing my others. It is the best I have used for sure. I will keep this in mind if/when a 12 string reappears at my house.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Maple422

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
TaylorGirl great review! I've been using a Kyser for my 12 string. I'll need to pick one of these up.
Thanks!
– Maple422 –

Taylor 422 Maple
Taylor 614e Prototype
Taylor 752 LTD 12-String/12-Fret
Taylor 724ce Koa
T5-S
T5z Road Show LTD Grapevine
GS Mini FLTD Koa
GS Mini Rosewood Plus
Baby-M
Taylor SolidBody Standard

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
Very nice job, TG.  You might give some thought to writing for a guitar magazine.  Believe it or not, literate guitar players are in short supply.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
Thanks FF and Maple!

Very nice job, TG.  You might give some thought to writing for a guitar magazine.  Believe it or not, literate guitar players are in short supply.
Thanks! Writing independent audit reports for 22 years probably helped.  ;)

Susie

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
For my money it is Thalia capos hands down.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
For my money it is Thalia capos hands down.
I wasn't aware that Thalia made 12 string capos.
Susie

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
You just need to change the pad. I've been using one on my 656e for about 9 months. :)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
You just need to change the pad. I've been using one on my 656e for about 9 months. :)
Good to know, thanks!
Susie

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the review!

FWIW, years ago I had tried other capos on my 12 and arrived at the G7th Performance for the 12-string.  And since that point, I have no regrets still. I prefer the quick clamping procedure that requires nothing more than your hand to close the capo ...for me, that is even simpler than the Newport that still requires you tension with the screw.  And even on my old G7th, the rubber is a good composition that frets the lighter octaves cleanly without pulling the fundamental strings sharp.  Either way, you can't go wrong as I have 3 different G7ths and use them all because they are superb units!

Edward

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Thanks for the review Susie.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
Very good review TaylorGirl, thank you.  I have a G7 for six string and it is a very good capo.  The new design for the 12 string looks to be a winner.  I no longer have a 12 string, but you never know, ya know.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.