Author Topic: Grand Pacific 717 BE natural  (Read 1288 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Grand Pacific 717 BE natural
« on: July 30, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
 So I let it get to me and ordered the 717 rosewood version. It arrived yesterday.

Initial impressions:

1. It is VERY lively! The notes jump right out of this thing
2. The neck feels awesome
3. It is without a doubt the most "in tune" acoustic guitar I've ever played
4. The rolled edges all around are very comfortable...especially the neck. But I'm growing very fond of the body edges being rounded off too! It just feels super smooth.
5. The relocation of the front strap button and neck heel mod are brilliant. Everytime I played Classical Gas (TE version) my left hand would get stopped dead at the 14th fret by my strap. On the 717 this is no longer the case. Another issue fixed!
6. It is beautiful in an understated way. The natural finish looks old but feels so fresh and new. Love the new finish.
7. It smells awesome!
8. Chords are very articulate and you do hear every note....in tune and very even response. The low end is not woofy but piano like.
9. Treble notes sound very thick, not thin and tinny.
10. I was a bit worried about the medium gauge strings, but I have not thought about it once in the last 24 hours, 22 of which I've spent playing this guitar, until I tried to bend a string and felt the old Medium gauge resistance. But otherwise I didn't even notice it!

After it is settled in I will post anything new that arises but for now....its a keeper.
Nicely done Andy Powers!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Grand Pacific 717 BE natural
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
Nice report, you sound elated. What, no pictures?  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
Congrats on the new GP!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ice4351

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
I am from Minnesota, but am now retired in Pattaya, Thailand.  A few days ago I ordered a Taylor 517e.  It will be delivered to Minnesota on Aug 2 and I will retrieve it when I come back to Minnesota for my class re-union.  From every review I have read or watched, the Grand Pacific is a big hit for Taylor and Andy Powers.  It will be a long 2 months waiting to play it.  The issue I wanted to address is the strap button which is now placed on the back of the guitar instead of the neck heel.  It may be a good deal for some guitarists who play at the 12-14 frets, but the average player usually plays at the first 6 frets.  I personally like to tie the strap by the nut.  I use only high quality leather straps and this allows me to leave the strap attached all the time, iin and out of the case.  For some reason the idea of screw a hole into the back of the guitar for a strap button just does not sit well with me.  I think some people detaching and attaching the strap on the back of the guitar risk scratching the would on the back.  Luckily, I was able to find a 517e at a shop in Pittsburgh that came without a strap button.  The guitar I purchased was a first article guitar--this means that Andy Powers personally supervised the construction of the guitar.  Apparently they made some Grand Pacifics without a strap button on the back.  Luckily for me, I was able to find one!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
Congratulations MB.  I bet it is a winner. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Your review of the guitar makes me want to try one of these - even though I've sworn off rosewood for the last time and remain in love with my GAs. So glad that you're so happy with it - congrats!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:06:26 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
Many congrats - no shortage of love around here (and just about everywhere including the AGF which is typically not fond of Taylors) for the new Grand Pacifics - there is no question that these were very well thought out instruments.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
Congrats!  I played one of these a couple of weeks ago at my FLGS.  It was very impressive and tempting, which is saying a lot.  (I'm actively converting over to low-maintenance carbon fiber and selling off the wooden instruments).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
I've yet to try out one of these Grand Pacifics. I'm not really interested in buying a guitar right now, but I'm still curious about them...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
The issue I wanted to address is the strap button which is now placed on the back of the guitar instead of the neck heel.  It may be a good deal for some guitarists who play at the 12-14 frets, but the average player usually plays at the first 6 frets.  I personally like to tie the strap by the nut.  I use only high quality leather straps and this allows me to leave the strap attached all the time, iin and out of the case.  For some reason the idea of screw a hole into the back of the guitar for a strap button just does not sit well with me.  I think some people detaching and attaching the strap on the back of the guitar risk scratching the would on the back.  Luckily, I was able to find a 517e at a shop in Pittsburgh that came without a strap button.  The guitar I purchased was a first article guitar--this means that Andy Powers personally supervised the construction of the guitar.  Apparently they made some Grand Pacifics without a strap button on the back.  Luckily for me, I was able to find one!

Everyone has different needs, and this just goes to show that Taylor understands this and does everything they can to accommodate as many players/customers as they can. They have proven to be a company that I enjoy doing business with...great guitars being just one of many reasons! Good luck with your 517e!

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Your review of the guitar makes me want to try one of these - even though I've sworn off rosewood for the last time and remain in love with my GAs. So glad that you're so happy with it - congrats!

Thanks Strumming Fool!
I had a hard time deciding between the Hog and RW versions. But in the end it was based on my current stable which was hog heavy.
Couldn't justify another hog backed Taylor! If you have a chance to try out the RW my money would be on heavy GAS.
Cheers!

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words...sorry if I caused any excess GAS but then again, you guys are all pretty gassy in general!

dhodgeh

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »
Congrats on the new guitar.  I get a big smile every time I pick mine up.

I'm also not a fan of having the strap button on the back.  My 717 is a bit neck heavy, and with the button located on the back, the guitar tends to pull away from me when I play standing.

I did contact Taylor to clear up one of the comments I had read about why to button was located on the back.  Turns out that the comment in question (the smaller heel did not allow enough wood for a button) was a rumor, and the rep even sent me a document on just where to position a button on the heel if I wanted to do that. 

D
"There's a lot of music in songs...."

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
Congrats on the new addition MB. We would of course love to see pics, and even to hear that “classical gas” TE version!
Those GP’s appear to be quite a nice change and addition to Taylor’s offerings.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member