Author Topic: GS Cocobolo Ltd. Fall or 616ce Brown Sugar?  (Read 2579 times)

tremolo arm

GS Cocobolo Ltd. Fall or 616ce Brown Sugar?
« on: February 07, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
Having had a 114 and a 214 (koa laminate sides and back), I am now considering the next step in the Taylor hierarchy.

I have on my radar the two guitars in the subject field.
- The GS Cocobolo Ltd. is a 2011 model with ES1
- The 616CE is a 2015 model with ES2

In terms of usage, this would be used for an acoustic duo, (female vocal + guitar), 50% strumming, 25% finger picking, 25% flatpicking.

The 616ce is in far better nick than the GS Ltd aesthetically speaking but I prefer the look of the Cocobolo, which also sports a maple-bound neck.

Currently the GS Cocobolo is at $xxxx.xx, whilst the 616 is at $xxxx.xx

I've only played the GS Ltd. Cocobolo and I absolutely loved it. The neck in particular is amazing and so easy to fret. The Taylor spec says it is a "standard carver", whereas I noticed the 616ce comes with a slim neck. Are these vastly different in feel?

Is the GS Ltd. Fall effectively a 816?

What other differences do these two guitars have, and generally, which one would Taylor players prefer and why?

Price discussion.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:53:55 PM by MGap »
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Taylor GS-Ltd. 2011 Fall Cocobolo
Baby Taylor
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender Team Built Custom Shop Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Duesenberg Alliance Joe Walsh
Gretsch Electromatic 5622T
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: GC Cocobolo Ltd. Fall or 616ce Brown Sugar?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
- GS body is larger and "bigger" sounding acoustically, uses medium gauge strings, and the ES2 is a hit or miss with folks.  Maple offers wonderful, prominent fundamental tones and makes for a punchy "forward" voice.  Good guitar that would certainly not disappoint. 

- GC is shorter scale with lights so will be "lighter" to the touch and more responsive, will not have the total volume and projection of a GS with mediums, and has the ES1.3, the best-sounding ES they make, IMHO.  Coco is a beautiful-sounding wood, typically just gorgeous that I've always heard in my hands, and we're also seeing less of it as time goes.  This along with the "Ltd" status offers if more "appointments" (typically gotoh tuners, nicer aesthetics) that make the guitar more "special" in my mind.

So long as you like the tone, I would go for the GC in coco, hands down.  If you want "louder" just plug in and the ES will deliver beautifully (and better than the ES2 to my ears).  But the overall voice (as far as "specs" but also my limited but experience with coco) of the GC make it the choice between these two, as well as the more "personal" feel of the smaller-bodied GC, and a clear choice for me.  And in live use for your duo, I would clearly prefer the ES1.3, not to mention the GC body: it simply amplifies very well!  The GS maple is a very nice guitar, bar none, but it would be easy to find should you want to scratch that itch in the future.  You're asking for opinions, so you'll get many.  Trust your ears and your hands: go with the one you'd rather play.  But since you're asking, I'd easily go for this particular GC Ltd.

Edward
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:38:05 AM by Edward »

tremolo arm

Re: GS Cocobolo Ltd. Fall or 616ce Brown Sugar?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Corrected the codes - they were wrong
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:56:45 AM by tremolo arm »
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Sound is a very, very personal thing.  But I would be hard-pressed to pass up a cocobolo guitar that was reasonably priced.  In my experience, it's the absolute finest tone wood in terms of delivering the kind of sound I like.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

tremolo arm

Re: GC Cocobolo Ltd. Fall or 616ce Brown Sugar?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
- GS body is larger and "bigger" sounding acoustically, uses medium gauge strings, and the ES2 is a hit or miss with folks.  Maple offers wonderful, prominent fundamental tones and makes for a punchy "forward" voice.  Good guitar that would certainly not disappoint. 

- GC is shorter scale with lights so will be "lighter" to the touch and more responsive, will not have the total volume and projection of a GS with mediums, and has the ES1.3, the best-sounding ES they make, IMHO.  Coco is a beautiful-sounding wood, typically just gorgeous that I've always heard in my hands, and we're also seeing less of it as time goes.  This along with the "Ltd" status offers if more "appointments" (typically gotoh tuners, nicer aesthetics) that make the guitar more "special" in my mind.

So long as you like the tone, I would go for the GC in coco, hands down.  If you want "louder" just plug in and the ES will deliver beautifully (and better than the ES2 to my ears).  But the overall voice (as far as "specs" but also my limited but experience with coco) of the GC make it the choice between these two, as well as the more "personal" feel of the smaller-bodied GC, and a clear choice for me.  And in live use for your duo, I would clearly prefer the ES1.3, not to mention the GC body: it simply amplifies very well!  The GS maple is a very nice guitar, bar none, but it would be easy to find should you want to scratch that itch in the future.  You're asking for opinions, so you'll get many.  Trust your ears and your hands: go with the one you'd rather play.  But since you're asking, I'd easily go for this particular GC Ltd.

Edward

Edward,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Let me also apologise - I am a complete pillock - because I completely messed up the codes (which are now corrected).
The Cocobolo is actually a GS, not a GC. I just noticed this looking at he photos of the guitar and the label inside.

Does this change your opinion significantly?
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

tremolo arm

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »
Sound is a very, very personal thing.  But I would be hard-pressed to pass up a cocobolo guitar that was reasonably priced.  In my experience, it's the absolute finest tone wood in terms of delivering the kind of sound I like.

Thank you Dennis
My concern with the GS Cocobolo is that it has some fret wear in the first 5 registers (may be able to re-crown or plek to avoid a re-fret) and being a 2011 model it also features the old ES system. As Edward said, people are divided over ES1 / ES2 but for investment / re-sale value it could be an issue.

Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

xtremearmor

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »

I'm in agreement on the cocobolo.  Beautiful to look at and cocobolo on a GS body would be a tone monster.  Not that a 616ce would sound bad either, probably just not as boomy and quicker decay, less bloom, which could be a good thing for playing live with a singer.  Me, I'm still thinking cocobolo. 

I'm no expert on fretwear, but could it have something to do with user error, as in mashing on the frets?  Either way, is a re=fret if it's necessary prohibitive?  Same for the ES=1 vs ES=2.  I'm not sure there is a real difference sound wise, at least to the extent an audience would notice or care. 

Either way, a good problem to have.  Good luck!
2016 Custom Shop GA Engelmann/Wild Rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »
Well the coco ltd with the ES1.3 would be my choice: that it is a GS body is --to me-- not as good as the same ltd in a GC body, but still preferable over the maple.  Keep in mind, I love maple and own maple Taylors, myself!  But given what you've described, I'd still prefer the Coco Ltd.  That it is the larger GS body will make it the proverbial "cannon," and given that you're comparing two GS guitars, the coco in ltd trim still puts it ahead in my book.

Edward

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »
those 2011 cocobolo ltd are soooo beautiful. GS is a tad big for me, so I can't speak on how they sound tone wise.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

tremolo arm

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 05:51:56 AM »
Thanks for your wisdom.

I have to say I loved the feel of the Coco but the 616CE is in pristine (as new) condition and it is way cheaper too.

Here are some photos of the 616CE:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuWeUjUR_MN9g7EACcZf9hdiqng0mA

Grain wise, the Coco is not as vibrant, but I do prefer the inlays, tuners and the bound neck.
In terms of woods and appointments, would you say the GS Coco Ltd is equivalent to a 816 or 916?

Also, in terms of resale, which one would hold its value better, given that the Coco is Ltd but is 8 years old (with ES1), whereas the 616CE is a "standard" - at half the age of the Coco and sports the ES2?
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
The 2011 Cocobolo LTD is an 816ce with all the LTD appointments.:
CV Bracing, Cocobolo/Boxwood Rosette,
Boxwood Split Diamond Fretboard Inlay, Figured Maple Binding,
Cocobolo Backstrap, Gotoh Tuners.
All of these appointments push it towards the 900 series.

My personal opinion is that the 2011 has much more bang for that extra dollar, I think it is quite possibly one of the best LTD that Taylar has issued.  It will command better resale desirability.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
I may be the lone voice here, but having just purchased a 614 V class, I would say that the 2015 redesigned 600s are now a more versatile guitar than previous maple incarnations. While it's still the honeymoon, I'm amazed at the sound and playability of this 614 - truly exceptional and totally different from my other six GAs including my 2012 maple custom.... Cocobolo definitely adds value to a guitar, but the 616 will be your player IMO.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
Taylor limiteds are always a great value for the money, and Cocobolo has always struck me as sounding like Rosewood (to which it is related) with a splash of warmth.  Now that Taylor has moved away from Cocobolo in their standard offerings, those that are out there are going to become harder and harder to pry from someone else's hands -- whereas Taylor's renewed commitment to Maple as a tonewood would suggest that a 616 will always be there, should you ever want one.  Both woods can have striking figuring; but based on the other factors, I'd say your choice is clear:  go Coco...!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

tremolo arm

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »
Hmmm... It sounds like the majority favour the "Coco" in this duel, despite it being older and not as mint as the 616 (and also more expensive).

I also loved the Coco when I tried it. It seemed effortless to play (I wonder what gauge strings it was strung with. Having no opportunity to try the 616 (the shop where it's at is too far from where I am), that may seal the deal.

For me a guitar has to have a visual effect as well as as a good sound. It has to have a long lasting appeal, so when positioned on a stand - almost teasing you to always pick it up. The Coco Ltd has that in spades. That unique rosette, the colour of the Sitka top (paler but yellower at the same time) and that bound neck just ooze elegance, whereas the 616 (whilst still a beautiful guitar), is just too similar to other Taylor models (especially when viewed on a stand or from an audience position).

Decisions decisions...
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

tremolo arm

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »
As a way of update, I am now a proud owner of a 2011 GS Ltd Fall Cocobolo ;D
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass