Author Topic: Humidipaks and Hygrometer  (Read 3335 times)

jdc916

Humidipaks and Hygrometer
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
OK  !   So I went back to GC yesterday to get some sort of humidifier for my 814.

I had done some web reading and had decided on the Oasis system.
Unfortunately, GC didn't have it and I really wasn't in the mood to drive all over and try and find it.
I've developed a rapport with the guy who sold me my 814 in GC so i listened to what he and a few other techs had to say and they told me the Planet Waves system was just as easy to use if not easier since you don't have to add water like you do to the Oasis. Put the paks in the pouches, the pouches in their respective spots and done.  I also bought the Planet Waves humidity and temp sensor. The guy at GC sold me both for the same price as what the Oasis combo listed for on their website that they didn't have.  Pretty cool since the 2 items separately were more then the Oasis alone.     

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase......    couple of things if you all could help me with   

Where do you put your hygrometer ?   
    I put mine at the back of the cast just at the top of the body section just underneath where the neck meets the body.  It
    came with 2 velcro tabs and it's not going anywhere and doesn't touch the guitar.   Good spot ?

This morning I checked the sensor and it says it's only 37% RH  ! Yikes !!!
    Is it too soon for some sort of stabilization to have occurred ?

Thanks for helping this newbie out !
My Taylor !
2011 814ce

Bill Evans

Re: Humidipaks and Hygrometer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
OK  !   So I went back to GC yesterday to get some sort of humidifier for my 814.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase......    couple of things if you all could help me with   

Where do you put your hygrometer ?   
    I put mine at the back of the case just at the top of the body section just underneath where the neck meets the body.  It
    came with 2 velcro tabs and it's not going anywhere and doesn't touch the guitar.   Good spot ?

This morning I checked the sensor and it says it's only 37% RH  ! Yikes !!!
    Is it too soon for some sort of stabilization to have occurred ?

Thanks for helping this newbie out !

Nice guitar! I'm thinking about buying an 814CE for myself. Got a 412CE Fall 2011 Ltd right now.
As to humidification. Like you, I was considering both the Planet Waves and the Oasis solutions. In the end, I went for the Oasis soundhole humidifier, plus a good ol' damp sponge in a plastic box (with holes) for the headstock end. I don't have a hygrometer in the case though. I keep my hygrometer outside the case and monitor the RH in the entire room. (I've also got three electrics in there.)
So, sorry, I can't really help with the placement of your hygrometer, but it sounds like you got it placed ok.
Maybe the hygrometer you got isn't very accurate? I hear the cheaper models can be way out at low humidity levels. Mind you, if the case has been allowed to dry out too much, it could take a while for the RH to creep back up to 47%?
Good luck!
Cheers.
Bill
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
Most people usually keep it in the storage area.  If the case stays closed, it eventually becomes it's own environment.  If you check out the Fall 11 Wood and Steel, I think Bob actually tackles the question with a much more knowledgable answer than I gave.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Satsuki

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
I read somewhere that Radio Shack had hygrometers.

dknelson

• VentureRiders
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
I know that this thread is a little old but just thought I would add what little bit I know about it.  When I bought my new guitar a few days ago at Wildwood Music, I didn't give much thought at that time to the humidifers.  I have an old tube type that I have used for a while in other guitars.  I've never owned a Hygrometer though.  I called back a couple days later and asked Marty if she had a recommendation.  She told me that they like the Oasis system.  She said that they have a high end Texas Instruments Hygrometer in the store but it cost several hundred dollars.  She said that they have compared a number of lower end hygrometers to it and that the Oasis hygrometer always seems to be the most accurate.  She said that the Planet Waves has been OK but not as close as the Oasis.

So, I ordered the Oasis combo kit yesterday that will come with the OH-1 sound hole humidifier and their hygrometer.
Martin GPCPA1 Custom Shop
Washburn D56SWCE Timbercraft

edman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
I don't keep a hygrometer in my guitar cases. I have 3 of them - 2 cheap Walmart specials and 1 Planet Waves model. The Walmart models have a magnet on the back. I keep one of them on my fridge on the main floor. I keep the second one in the room where I keep my guitars. I keep the Planet Waves version in my basement. I use my Planet Waves sound hole humidifier when the humidity in my guitar room dips below 40%. I use room humidifier when the humidity dips below 30%. I prefer keeping my hygrometers out in the open because I do a better job of controlling humidity if I see the meter everyday.

I ordered an Oasis case humidifier to use in conjunction with the sound hole humidifier on my incoming GA4 (being delivered tomorrow  8)).

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
When buying a hygrometer, be sure to get a digital one.

Analog ones can be off by as much as 10...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »
I live in a pretty dry environment.  I have 3 hygrometers, and none of them are reading the same.  I have one on a dial, it use to be in my sauna.  I have a planet waves digital, and a Wal-Mart cheapy.  Not a single on of them is the same as any of the others.  Planet wave may read 45rh the wallymart one would be at 50rh and the dial one would read 65rh.

I have also put the planet wave meter in the case of my 714ce and it will read about 3-4rh degrees lower than outside the case in the same room.

I have thought about taking the planet wave meter back to the music dealer just to have them check it against their more expense whole showroom meter.

I feel like I am spending way to much time on all this but then I want my babies to be in good health also.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.