Author Topic: grand concert questions  (Read 2231 times)

horax

grand concert questions
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
Everything I've seen online for these say that they are MOST suited for fingerstyle, etc.
I've been looking up everything I can to decide why they say this.  Is the nut width different, or is
the string spacing wider?

The grand concert style from Yamaha A series has the same width nut and string spacing as their dreads, so what's the consensus with Taylors?

Old Poseur

Re: grand concert questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
I have two GC 12 frets and, while they'd be great for fingerstyle due to volume and string spacing, I bought them for those characteristics plus body size for comfort and playability due to shorter scale and 12 frets - plus they sound great. I am a strummer and flat picker - so go figure.
2016 Taylor 812ce 12 Fret
2016 Taylor 552ce 12 Fret / 12 String

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »
Based on shape, size and overall construction, the GC responds better to fingerstyle than all other Taylor's. It was originally designed for that purpose, but it can also handle light to moderate strumming/picking. The GC has a very focused intimate tone.  The GA as an all purpose instrument also handles fingerstyle well, but the GC  remains the best choice for fingerstyle based on conventional concepts.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:10:43 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Rev Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
...while they'd be great for fingerstyle due to volume and string spacing, I bought them for those characteristics plus body size for comfort and playability due to shorter scale and 12 frets - plus they sound great. I am a strummer and flat picker - so go figure.

Yep, that's my experience, too. As you can see from this vid, Greg Koch didn't have any trouble strumming and picking one:)

https://youtu.be/dYCW4twUtGM

Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D

Old Poseur

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
Greg Koch can play him some guitar!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
I like the GC body for comfort and the volume for fingerstyle is great. The bridge placement on the 12fret neck version helps vibrate the top with limited energy. The string spacing is the same as other 300+ series guitars, so it is just the intimate feel and responsiveness for me.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Being a fingerpicker, the GC body, being smaller, gives me the feeling of wrapping myself closer and feeling more "into" the music. Taylor GC's have a nice volume and tone for other styles too. No body shape is exclusive for a style, I think Taylor just tagged the GC's as more likely to appeal for the fingerstylists who like that intimate feeling when they play.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

terrypl

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
I think the smaller-body models are built and braced to be more responsive to less attack, so they respond better to the light touch of fingers, while the larger models require a bit more attack, such as from a pick, to vibrate. Now, granted, there's a lot of overlap in the models and in players' attack, so the GA's, for example, are noted for being responsive to BOTH pick and fingers. And some famous fingerstylists, such as Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges, had no problem getting their dreadnoughts to sing. But, in general, the GC's vibrate more freely with a lighter touch, which is why they appeal to fingerstylists.

horax

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
I really appreciate all of the comments here.

I does help me understand this even more.
So what about the GC makes it so if you dig into it with a hard strumming attack where it doesn't sound as good as a dread?

Is it just that it doesn't have the size for more loudness, or is it bracing or something that makes it not AS good for heavy strumming?

I'm glad to know that everything about it is similar to the other 3xx series guitars though...I was worried I was doing damage to the guitar
by strumming, etc., or that I was playing teh wrong type of guitar overall.

Old Poseur

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:22 PM »
I don't think you need to worry about damage by really digging in.  It's just that the sound starts to break down - kind of like driving small stereo speakers too hard.  At low to medium volumes they sound great, but they're not made for Metallica turned up to 11.  Same with the GC - it's like a OOO, more of a singer/songwriter or blues guitar (think Clapton unplugged), not a bluegrass guitar that cuts through a band filled with banjos and mandolins.  Played through an amp, of course, it doesn't really matter.  So just control your inner Pete Townshend and you'll be fine.

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »
I have a 412e-R LTD, purchased just for the purpose of fingerstyle vocal accompaniment (think, John Denver). It does this very well. It is not overly loud, so does not overpower the singer. Overall, the tone is balanced, and the 1-3/4 wide neck allows precise note selection. It does well with light to moderate strumming, but it does not do "hard rock" hammering well at all. I needed the smaller body size due to a right shoulder injury, so overall I am quite pleased with it. But, people are all different, styles are different, guitars are different. The trick is to find the one that works for you. BTW, I also have a GS Mini, a very small body guitar but amazingly loud and handles heavy strumming beautifully. So does size matter? Maybe not so much.

Corgle

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
Really depends on the wood and the bridge location. My 12 frets have been louder and just better.