Author Topic: Ovangkol vs Maple  (Read 2281 times)

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
Ovangkol vs Maple
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
I have recently purchased a 416e and a 614e. I played them both for a non-guitar playing friend today. Started with the 416e first, then the 614e. Then I asked him which sounded better. He replied the first one (ovangkol) sounded great, but the Second one (Maple) sounded good too and he really couldn't tell the difference. Trust me it is the 614e. The moral of this story is- Obsessing over which tone wood is best is pointless to the casual listener. If it sounds good that's all that matters.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: Ovangkol vs Maple
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
I have recently purchased a 416e and a 614e. I played them both for a non-guitar playing friend today. Started with the 416e first, then the 614e. Then I asked him which sounded better. He replied the first one (ovangkol) sounded great, but the Second one (Maple) sounded good too and he really couldn't tell the difference. Trust me it is the 614e. The moral of this story is- Obsessing over which tone wood is best is pointless to the casual listener. If it sounds good that's all that matters.

All that matters to your friend or average audience member? Sure. But play my guitars with me sitting there blindfolded and I'll identify each and tell you why. So it matters to me greatly.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa