Author Topic: Gotta say, I'm disappointed...  (Read 2484 times)

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Gotta say, I'm disappointed...
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
With this year being the landmark 40th anniversary of Taylor Guitars, I was fully expecting the design team in El Cajon to come up with something really special -- They way they have in the past to celebrate the 20th, 25th, 30th, and 35th anniversaries.  Special inlays, headstock scripts, the old fountain inlay -- Something special for the occasion.  We hadn't heard anything all Summer, so I was hoping that they would surprise us with an announcement in the Fall edition of W&S. 

Well, Wood & Steel arrived in the mail today and, as nice as it is, there's nothing special.  Sassafras is doing nothing for me aesthetically (Haven't played it so I can't comment on the tone), Blackwood doesn't trip my trigger, and I'm happy with my Mahogany Mini so the Koa version is of no interest.  IMO, overall the 40th anniversary celebration of product is underwhelming to say the least.

No doubt, mine is a first world problem.  So be it.  I guess I'll drown my sorrows in the other "Regular" Taylors that hang in my office and thank my lucky stars that I can enjoy what I have while dreaming of what could have been...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: Gotta say, I'm disappointed...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
Trying to attach pics - What am I doing wrong?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:58:49 PM by Gutch »
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
Well, there's one quarter left in the year...perhaps something else is on the way, even though Taylor doesn't normally wait that long in a milestone year. We'll see...I decided on a BTO after I had seen the offerings to date.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

MR XXXXX

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
It seems the overhaul of the 800s was the "something special."  I had that feeling when I read the first Wood and Steel this year...

Redwood Tree

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
  :D     Hey don't give up yet the annarversary is coming in about 13 days so there's still time , Looking into the past, seemed everything was presented early. So maybe the big suprise is going to be late this time.  The Team love's to spring suprise Ltds on us unexpectly. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:56:16 PM by Redwood Tree »
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »
 Hi Gutch. I feel your pain. I bought a Martin just for spite. ;)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
Funny you say all that, Gutch; I feel the same way.  As someone who loves his Taylors, I look forward to great models coming out year by year, so the 40th was something I was certainly awaiting with anticipation.  Nothing here, months roll on ...nothing there, then more months pass ...then the W&S.  Hmmm, that's it?  I know folks seem to dig the Sass amd Blackwood, but those didn't excite me either (with the same disclaimer that I have played neither and am speaking purely in terms of aesthetics and stated specs).  No great tragedy, of course, and perhaps more my "fault" due to my own elevated expectations.  But yes, a let down, nevertheless.  I guess in a backhanded manner, this has made me appreciate my existing Taylors --guits which I already love-- even more (if that's even possible ;)  ).

Edward

GreysSonicPlayground

• Pickin' grinnin' writing and singing
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
I'm not too hard put.
For Taylor's and my fortieth birthday, I got my 2010 NOS 414ce. I'm particularly pleased that it's from BEFORE the design team changes.
2010 414CE
And a pair of happy hands.

greyssonicplayground@gmail.com

Jkornel

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
Since it is also my 40th this year I too was hoping for something special.