Author Topic: GS Mini pickup buzz  (Read 706 times)

captaingibs

GS Mini pickup buzz
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
Hi all, new to the forums! Thanks in advance for reading.  8)

I have a new GS Mini-E, the limited edition with the onboard pickup. Let me first say I LOVE this little guitar and its big bright sound.

I've had it just about two weeks, and it's played beautifully out of the box. Living in the cold/dry northeast, as per Bob Taylor's recommendation, I purchased the Planet Waves Humidipaks and started using them the other night, closing it all up inside the case.

Then I noticed something strange: I was getting a weird buzz/vibration from inside the guitar when strumming. I experimented and isolated the cause: the open D string. No other Ds anywhere on the fret board do it, even of the same octave.

Placing my ear around the body, I've identified the vibration source: the pickup inside. When I place my finger against it while strumming that D string, the noise stops. I suppose it could be one of the wires vibrating against the pickup as well, but I can't seem to isolate it any further.

My questions are: one, how does this suddenly happen? two, how can I make it stop? and three, did the Humidipaks have anything to do with it, or is it strictly coincidence this buzzing happened after its first use?

I've been playing a lot of open D tuning, so you can imagine my dismay.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or solutions?

Thank you so much!