Author Topic: Guitar Cables/leads  (Read 724 times)

FrankC

Guitar Cables/leads
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Would any of you guys recommend a good guitar lead/cable to compliment the expression system on my 8181e? I'm playing it through my Marshall acoustic amp - it's an  AS 50 R -but want to get the best sound - maybe cables don't even make that much of a difference? Thanks!
Taylor 818e First Edition no.12
Simon and Patrick SP6 Spruce Top
Oscar Schmidt Ukelele

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Guitar Cables/leads
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
Hi Frank,

Cables make a difference: subtle if you're comparing good to better ones; dramatic if you're comparing cheap to good ones.  And often the most significant difference is noise rejection, either from "handling" noise but also from lights or "dirty" ac power.  There is also tonal differences, but I've found this to exist in really the crappiest of cable.  It's about capacitance, and cheesy cable attenuates highs, good cable preserves the signal.

There's lots of hay made about "good"cables, but like many times, these differences can get overblown, hyped, and even lead to seriously costly stuff.  But you don't need to break the bank.  Mogami makes some of the finest cable out there, is used by pros in recording, and they supply lots of cable makers.  There are others, to be sure, but you certainly can't go wrong with mogami.  Lots of good cable ends: neutrik and amphenol come immediately to mind.  I love the neutrik silent ends (on one end of the cable) as it kills the signal when you unplug, eliminating the "pop" you hear when you unplug the guitar.  Again, modest cost for a 12-15' cable and you're good to go.  Personally, I'd stay away from "monster" as I personally feel it's more about marketing hype and cost ...but some folks like the fact you can take any monster and trade it for a same new one at any store that is an auth dealer.

Oh, and there's balanced cable that your ES can utilize to offer you a hotter, cleaner signal.  But if your marshall cannot accept a balanced input (XLR  or TRS end), then it's an irrelevant point.  Hope that gives you a bit of guidance :)

Edward
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:08:41 PM by Edward »

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »
Hi Frank

For all our instruments and microphones we use ClearTone Cables from a UK-based company called Award-Session.
http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

ClearTone cables from Award-Session are made to order using high quality cable and genuine Neutrik connectors... they deliver a crisp and uncoloured sound which to us is the perfect match for our Taylor Guitars and Bose L1 sound system or AER Acoustic amp.

You specify the length you want, balanced/unbalanced, connector type (straight or right-angled), optional colour coded sleeves.
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

FrankC

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice guys as always!!!
Taylor 818e First Edition no.12
Simon and Patrick SP6 Spruce Top
Oscar Schmidt Ukelele