Author Topic: Flesh Hardened on Left Hand - How To Take Care of It?  (Read 692 times)

julyfish

Flesh Hardened on Left Hand - How To Take Care of It?
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »
Hi,

I am not a native English speaker so please pardon my poor English.

My question is, when the flesh on the left fingers becomes hardened (called corns?), it sometimes "catches" the strings when changing chords, thus producing unwanted sound.

Is there any way to take care of this situation so as to "smooth" the corns?

Thanks.

Jake_Henry

Re: Flesh Hardened on Left Hand - How To Take Care of It?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
I use a fine grit emory board, like you might use to round off your nails.  it might sound like it would ruin your callouses, but if you use an emory board just enough to keep the callouses from getting to the point where they're catching your strings and causing problems, and actually use lotion, coconut butter or shea butter, on the tips to keep them from drying out... they'll stay hard from you playing, but 'supple' enough, and round enough, so they won't tear.  I've heard nothing but good stuff from other mandolin and guitar players, as well as hand drummers, doing this to keep callouses 'healthy' so they can play.  There's nothing quite as bad as when a dry callous at the tip of your finger actually cracks open if you don't take care of them... takes awhile to heal and playing can be super painful.  I keep a little emory board, as well as some toughskin glue (like bowler's use) in my case so when it happens, I can take care of it!  Glueing cracked callouses sucks and burns, but can get you through a performance!

Good luck!
2001 w12ce