Author Topic: Grand Orchestra Test Drive  (Read 8530 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Grand Orchestra Test Drive
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
Well Nomad, I appreciate your review. And because I've been hoping to include a maple guitar in my stable I took the plunge on a 618e today from Guitar Rodeo. Should arrive next week. I know the phone is not a good indicator but Jim played a few licks on the guitar and zoweee! I could hear every note clearly. Can't wait til she shows up. Pics and audio when the time comes.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:41 PM »
Well Nomad, I appreciate your review. And because I've been hoping to include a maple guitar in my stable I took the plunge on a 618e today from Guitar Rodeo. Should arrive next week. I know the phone is not a good indicator but Jim played a few licks on the guitar and zoweee! I could hear every note clearly. Can't wait til she shows up. Pics and audio when the time comes.

Congrats! The 618e is one nice guitar.

leeasam

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »
The shop I frequent got all 3 models in and I will be there in the morning to do some dealing. Not on any of these but I WILL give them all a test drive ;)
2010 816CE Taylor
2012 PRS P22 Black Gold wrap around
2012 Taylor GS mini

leeasam

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
I got to play all three models today. The one that impressed me the most was the 518e. It was just HUGE sounding. Loud articualte and nice overtones. good mid range pump too which I believe added to the over all volume. VERY strong bass thump. You can tell the body is deeper too. has a bit of that deep body cave sound.

Next was the 618e. While big sounding too it was just to dry sounding to me. really lacked overtones and note decay was considerably faster than the 518e.

Now the 918e which I though would wow me-- didn`t. after seeing the following video I find that these have Adi tops not sitka like the lower series.
I actually like my 2010 816ce better than the 918e. I have run tinot this several times before where 900 series guitars just did nothing for me. seemed really stiff and just not as alive.

The 518e was magic IMO. If I was to get one this would be it. Also when I played up the fret board it did not thin out. I can capo my 816ce and get past the 5th fret can almost sound mandolin like lol. the 518e sound rich even way up the fret board! seems to me that the bigger body and new prabolic bracing fits very well with Hog. So down the road if I buy one I would have to try a 818e when they are released but of the current models the 518e wins imo. here is another video of the 518e
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20130125/2105/NAMM_13_Taylor_Guitars_Grand_Orchestra_Demo.aspx?updated=0125133222#comments
2010 816CE Taylor
2012 PRS P22 Black Gold wrap around
2012 Taylor GS mini

PureTone

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
Yes, the strap, COA and book are sent to the registered owner.

By the way, here's what the dealer has to say about them:  http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-not-bigger.html
Why can't the images on guitar company websites look more like the ones in this link ?

Some images are so overprocessed that the guitars look like they're made from computer generated plastic models.

Kind of like this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTDYFhtvQA
With so many muddled effects, I've heard better sounding Esteban guitars.

My hat's off to the photographer.

I couldn't bear listening to the video of that poor Olson being abused.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »
Yes, the strap, COA and book are sent to the registered owner.

By the way, here's what the dealer has to say about them:  http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-not-bigger.html
Why can't the images on guitar company websites look more like the ones in this link ?

Some images are so overprocessed that the guitars look like they're made from computer generated plastic models.

Kind of like this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTDYFhtvQA
With so many muddled effects, I've heard better sounding Esteban guitars.

My hat's off to the photographer.

I couldn't bear listening to the video of that poor Olson being abused.

Those were apparently taken by Steve, the guy who used to work for Taylor and who now works for Portland Music Company. He was a photographer for Wood & Steel, too.

PureTone

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:48 AM »
Those were apparently taken by Steve, the guy who used to work for Taylor and who now works for Portland Music Company. He was a photographer for Wood & Steel, too.
I've seen concert, motorsports and scenic pics that Steve has taken 8)

As I recall, he used to be a member on this forum.

Sounds like he has a great gig at Portland Music Company.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
I've seen concert, motorsports and scenic pics that Steve has taken 8)

As I recall, he used to be a member on this forum.

Sounds like he has a great gig at Portland Music Company.

My understanding is that he's actually a pretty accomplished photographer.

PureTone

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 03:22:40 AM »
Yeah, I'd say so.

Here's one that Steve posted a while back.

Talk about perfect timing.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09:23 AM »
Geez, that's a good shot.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »
Let's get this thread back on track...has anyone else test-driven a Grand Orchestra? If so, what are your thoughts?
Cindy

PureTone

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Nomad, I was wondering there were any Grand Symphony or Dreadnought models at your local dealer made of similar woods that could be compared to the Grand Orchestras ?

The 510ce & 516ce have Engelmann spruce tops standard, rather than Sitka, but the 610ce and 616ce are close to the 618e, as well as the 910ce and 916ce, other than the bracing pattern with Adirondack spruce and the side bracing.

I've heard the GO described as a big GS and just another Taylor.

From that description, I think the Grand Orchestra would be a great line of guitars.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Nomad, I was wondering there were any Grand Symphony or Dreadnought models at your local dealer made of similar woods that could be compared to the Grand Orchestras ?

The 510ce & 516ce have Engelmann spruce tops standard, rather than Sitka, but the 610ce and 616ce are close to the 618e, as well as the 910ce and 916ce, other than the bracing pattern with Adirondack spruce and the side bracing.

I've heard the GO described as a big GS and just another Taylor.

From that description, I think the Grand Orchestra would be a great line of guitars.

They don't carry a lot of Dreadnaughts. There was a 310ce which, given the similarities of Mahogany and Sapele, is close enough.

To my ears, the GO had a rich, almost "gooey" bass quality that the 310ce didn't have. "Gooey" probably isn't the right word to use, but it was just so luscious that it really does describe it pretty well. It's not so much a description of the sound, but rather how the sound makes you feel. The bass from the 518e was deeper, richer and more distinct. The same could be said for a comparison to the 316ce they had.

The dealer got hit pretty hard over the holidays, and they sold a lot of Taylors. They were waiting for the NAMM Show to order stock, so I was only able really to compare the 518e to anything.