Author Topic: Grand Orchestra Test Drive  (Read 8531 times)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Grand Orchestra Test Drive
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
I just left my dealer. They now have all three Grand Orchestra models in stock.

I thought I would like the 518E (#10 of 100) the best, as I'm a big Mahogany fan. As it turns out, though, the 618E (#15 of 100) won, hands down. It's got nice, big bass, and crystal clear highs. The Mahogany was much more balanced, which is what I expected, and which is what was explained at the Road Show I attended back in November. The 918E (#17 of 100) was, of course, very nice, but the 900's just have too much abalone for me.

They're quite comfortable to hold, similar to holding, say, a DN or a GS. They are more comfortable to play than Taylor's old style Jumbo, and you don't really seem to lose anything, sound-wise. I don't know what they did to get this combination of looks, comfort, playability and tone, but it's all there.

The cases are standard Taylor brown deluxe cases with a brass "FIRST EDITION" plate placed under the "Taylor" brass plate. It's nice and classy.

I think the nicest part about these is that Taylor didn't jack the prices up which, given that these are "first editions", they probably easily could've gotten away with. The 518E is priced right in with the rest of similarly appointed 500 Series guitars, and the 618E and the 918E followed suit.

I took some pictures with my iPhone, but they asked me not to post them until NAMM opens on Thursday morning. This is actually Taylor's request and not the dealer's. If I start seeing where other dealers are posting photos, though, I might reconsider.

;D

I think Taylor has another great guitar on their hands.

Daybreakdays

Re: Grand Orchestra Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »
How did it sound for fingerpicking when compared to the GS? I recall the Jumbos had a very thin, light sound for fingerpicking, whereas the GS has a loud, deep sound for it.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
They definitely work for fingerpicking. In fact, the 618E was nowhere near as bright as I expected it to be, which is one of the biggest reasons I like it so much.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
I just left my dealer. They now have all three Grand Orchestra models in stock.
:o
I thought I would like the 518E (#10 of 100) the best, as I'm a big Mahogany fan. As it turns out, though, the 618E (#15 of 100) won, hands down. It's got nice, big bass, and crystal clear highs.
nice :)
The Mahogany was much more balanced, which is what I expected, and which is what was explained at the Road Show I attended back in November.
i guess that sitka was the more favorable choice over adi for the bracing on the 5, tone-wise
The 918E (#17 of 100) was, of course, very nice, but the 900's just have too much abalone for me.

They're quite comfortable to hold, similar to holding, say, a DN or a GS. They are more comfortable to play than Taylor's old style Jumbo, and you don't really seem to lose anything, sound-wise. I don't know what they did to get this combination of looks, comfort, playability and tone, but it's all there.
to me, that explains why that model was given a designation all its own, rather than a revoiced jumbo
as from what i'm reading, it doesn't look, feel or sound (overall balance & responsiveness) like a traditional jumbo

The cases are standard Taylor brown deluxe cases with a brass "FIRST EDITION" plate placed under the "Taylor" brass plate. It's nice and classy.
sweet :)
i remember that there was a special 20th anniversary plate on the XX-GA cases in 94 -
the strap & COA make for nice case candy too, imho

I think the nicest part about these is that Taylor didn't jack the prices up which, given that these are "first editions", they probably easily could've gotten away with. The 518E is priced right in with the rest of similarly appointed 500 Series guitars, and the 618E and the 918E followed suit.
looking on some sites, they're at the same $ point as last year's CE models -
considering all the extras, i would think they should sell out in no time

I took some pictures with my iPhone, but they asked me not to post them until NAMM opens on Thursday morning. This is actually Taylor's request and not the dealer's. If I start seeing where other dealers are posting photos, though, I might reconsider.

;D

I think Taylor has another great guitar on their hands.
yep.
& if for some reason it doesn't seem to float someone's boat, that if
they're looking at a dreadnought, it may be around the next bend
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:34:42 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »
They definitely work for fingerpicking. In fact, the 618E was nowhere near as bright as I expected it to be, which is one of the biggest reasons I like it so much.
8)

:D

support indie musicians

Joseph

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
I predict... much GAS..!  ;)
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
the strap & COA make for nice case candy too, imho[/font][/size][/color]

There's no strap or COA, although there is a prepaid envelope in each case so that a lucky new owner can mail in their registration. Are the strap and COA something that's sent to the owner after the purchase?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
the first paragraph on page 13 (continued from page 12) of the current W&S states that there is a strap & COA -
i figured that the COA might be in the case (perhaps in the headstock area) & the strap rolled up in the pick box

maybe they were, or will be, shipped separately ???

support indie musicians

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »
They brought the case out, and there were neither of those in it.

Something I didn't mention before was that the label says "INAUGURAL COLLECTION" on it, so that's kind of cool.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2bh29_peMk&list=PLB704DF99560DDEC7&index=1
Consider the cat out of the bag
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

theguitarguru

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
the first paragraph on page 13 (continued from page 12) of the current W&S states that there is a strap & COA -
i figured that the COA might be in the case (perhaps in the headstock area) & the strap rolled up in the pick box

By COA, do you mean like "Certificate of Authenticity" when you register???
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2bh29_peMk&list=PLB704DF99560DDEC7&index=1
Consider the cat out of the bag

I haven't really looked at dealer websites. I know that my dealer asked me not to post them, because Taylor asked them not to post photos. If the dealer is going to abide by Taylor's wishes, I can at least abide by theirs.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

By COA, do you mean like "Certificate of Authenticity" when you register???

Yes, that's my understanding.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
I wonder if they give the owner the strap and certificate after purchase...just so it isn't lost or stolen while demo-ing.

Thanks for the info mate!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:35 PM »
I wonder if they give the owner the strap and certificate after purchase...just so it isn't lost or stolen while demo-ing.

Thanks for the info mate!

Yes, the strap, COA and book are sent to the registered owner.

By the way, here's what the dealer has to say about them:  http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-not-bigger.html