Author Topic: Fretboard: To Oil or Not to Oil... That is the Question!  (Read 16432 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Fretboard: To Oil or Not to Oil... That is the Question!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
I've never put anything on any fretboard and never will. I've never used any abrasive of any kind on any fretboard and don't see any reason to, and that includes steel wool no matter how fine.  If one of my fretboards starts looking funny, I'll consult a good guitar maker/tech before doing anything.  I do wipe down my neck, strings and fretboard with a clean cotton cloth after playing, but I don't get obsessive with it.....three or four passes up and down the neck and fretboard and then put it away.

I did consult a pretty reliable guitar maker Bob Taylor, I'll print it again
I have used the 0000 extra fine steel wool because I noticed grime building up next to the frets, so I went to Taylors resource guide and found "How to clean and polish my guitar" here it said this:
Q: How should I clean or polish my guitar?

A: Most store-bought guitar and automotive polishes will work fine on the glossy areas of our UV-finished guitars built after 1995. Our factory technicians recommend and use Turtle Wax Express Shine® to clean and detail the entire body and the back of the neck on all Taylor models. Express Shine works well on both glossy and satin finishes, and older finishes. You may also simply use a clean, damp cloth to wipe down the surfaces and follow quickly with a clean, dry cloth. To clean the fingerboard, we use and recommend 0000 extra-fine steel wool. Simply rub the steel wool up and down the length of the fingerboard right over the tops of the frets. This will remove any grime from the fingerboard without damaging the wood and will also remove any oxidation from the frets, giving them a nice shine. Do not use furniture polishes on any of our guitars at any time, as they will likely damage the finish.

Just remember to cover the sound hole so that you don't get steel wool into your guitar.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:43:23 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.