Author Topic: Humidifying in a Taylor gig bag  (Read 2220 times)

Sir Boomstick

Humidifying in a Taylor gig bag
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
Help! I just purchased a Taylor 210ce. It came with a beige reinforced gig bag. I want to know if this case is appropriate for humidifying my guitar with the planet waves humidipack recommended by Taylor. I called Taylor customer service and the agent said it was no problem...but I'm reading mixed reviews online. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.  :)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Humidifying in a Taylor gig bag
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
Help! I just purchased a Taylor 210ce. It came with a beige reinforced gig bag. I want to know if this case is appropriate for humidifying my guitar with the planet waves humidipack recommended by Taylor. I called Taylor customer service and the agent said it was no problem...but I'm reading mixed reviews online. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.  :)
I am using the PW humidpaks in my GSmini gigbag based on what Taylor and others here have suggested. My hygrometer in the gigbag reads 46-48 so I feel pretty confident I am in good shape.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Sir Boomstick

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
Awesome. Thanks so much! Huge relief as I didn't want to put more money into a hard shell. I am going to pick up a hygrometer today. Are they affordable? Any recommendations?

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
Awesome. Thanks so much! Huge relief as I didn't want to put more money into a hard shell. I am going to pick up a hygrometer today. Are they affordable? Any recommendations?

Well there are hygrometers and then there are hygrometers Even the inexpensive ones work just fine.

No matter what you should check the accuracy of any hygrometer you buy. How you ask? It's pretty simple.

Get your self one of those little plastic medicine dispensing cups. Like for 3 tbsps of pepto-bismol or something. Fill it half full of table salt. Then add just enough water to wet the salt completely without being a puddle. Stir with a toothpick. Put that cup and your hygrometer in a sealable plastic container. That container should be not much larger than to fit your hygrometer and salt cup. Seal the top.

Wait about 12 hours. Read the RH on the hygrometer and make a note. It should read 75% RH. Salt + H2O always stabilizes at 75% RH.  If your reading is anything above or below that, you know how much your hygrometer is off. I usually just stick a piece of tape on the hygrometer with the plus or minus number so I know how to adjust the reading.

As my name implies, I kinda like cigars and have been caring for them a long time. Humidity is very important to cigars as well as guitars.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
Cool beans Cigarfan. Looking for a storage container in a few minutes. Thanks.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric