Author Topic: newbie questions...sorry  (Read 3245 times)

jaredm

newbie questions...sorry
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »
Hi everyone. Hope all is well with you. I just purchased my dream guitar. A 314ce. It is used but appears to be in great shape. I have a few questions for you all.
1. What humidifier or drying device do you use? I live in SC and the summers unfortunately are 95-99% humidity out side. I do not have a hygrometer so I have no idea what the humidity is in my home. I generally keep it like 73degrees F.
2. Where do you store your guitar? I would obviously like it to be proudly on a stand...but not sure if that is good for keeping it nice? some say in the case?
3. Why polish do you use? I read that Taylor uses Turtlewax Express? Saw it on their site.

Sorry for so many questions....oh yeah...and a chord question to boot....I have pudgy thick fingers that are not that flexible and I have painfully tried the F Bar but I am really having some difficulty. Any pointers...exercises or general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Re: newbie questions...sorry
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »
Welcome! Questions: I use Humidipaks. Dry your case once a week w/a hair dryer. Keep case closed when playing your guitar. Air conditioning also drys the air. You'd be surprised how much. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a digital hygrometer/thermometer(bout $30).
Keep your guitar in your case until you see what the humidity runs in your house.
I live in S Mississippi, and I've never had a problem w/the humidity when I only had a couple guitars that were played regularly.I have too many now, and keep Humidipaks in every case and guitar.
My brother has a "99 510CE that has never had humidity control. It's just fine. He lived in Houston before he moved back a couple years ago.
For polish I use Turtle Wax paste. A habit I've had for years. I'm about to try some Virtuoso cleaner on some satin finishes and follow w/Virtuoso polish. I'll see what happens.
"F" can be a problem at times. Just mute the high e w/ your index finger while fretting the b @the first fret. You'll hardly miss that high f note.
Steve
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:23:52 PM by S MS Picker »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

jaredm

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
Thanks....i did not know walmart had those...

remshooter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
Try this F chord and see if you can play it better.  I like using it.

Todd

2011 Taylor 114e
2001 Taylor 310
1969 Silvertone 319

jaredm

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
Thanks ...is that also a power chord?

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
Thanks ...is that also a power chord?

No, this would be the power chord version...

;)
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
 I use the Planet Waves humidipaks for my 314ce. I store all of my guitars in their cases, just because I hate to dust 'em.

Anyone ever clay bar their guitar prior to polishing and/or waxing?
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
unfortunately are 95-99% humidity
I have just the opposite problem I have to humidify my room year round.
Keeping the guitar in the case will ensure that no damage will happen, and it then lives in its own environment.
Lizard Spit is what I use to clean my guitar then wax it with Turtle wax.

Everybody that is just starting out will have a hard time with the F chord.  After your hands build strength then work on that full F barre chord, for now try the mini barre F chord(also called open F ).
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
Welcome jaredm!!

Good to see you here and don't be shy about asking questions ...it's all good, friend!  Good folks here who simply love talking guits and eager to help, if not also to learn :)

I'll leave the advice of a humid climate to those who know ...ahem, I'm in dry SoCal so at worst, I have to humidify on occasion.  But monitoring Relative Humidity (RH) is important; don't sweat the room temperature.   As all my guits are wall mounted, I've used my trusty digital hygrometer from Radio Shack for over 10 years now (heck, may even be over 15? ...dang my memory) and it works well, reporting fluctuations in RH readily and (according to my skin) pretty accurately :D  You don't need to spend a mint ...these are maybe under $40 or so.   FWIW, I'll also add that while the easiest place to maintain RH is inside the guitar case, I applaud you for wanting to keep the guitar out, and would encourage you do do so (provided you can control the RH in your room) simply because you'll play far[/b] more often this way.  Being able to admire it every moment you pass by is an added perk, but trust me, if the guit is out you can snatch a quick minute or three here and there ...warning, which can easily lead to 90+ minutes.  But I've found you'll be playing and thus enjoying your guitar far more, not to mention strengthening your chops better than if it were tucked quietly in the case.  IMHO, of course.

Practice the "F" chord as shown above.  Barr chords are a matter of time and building strength ...you'll get there.  But I'd advise not shunning away from them  even if difficult or awkward as they are tremendous tools in your chord vocabulary.  You can practice regular ol' 3-chord progressions and "feed in" a barr chord or two with your open chords as a workout.  And enjoy that Taylor!!

Edward
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:08:34 AM by Edward »

andyi5

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
Welcome. Great guitar you've got there!

Good advice given above, just to chip in on the F chord - it's quite common to use the 5 string version too as the B in the bass functions as the 5th of the chord. You still have the F note played twice anyway (on the 4th and the 1st string), and it's easy to flip between this fingering and other chords such as C.  Fingering is x22100.... a shortcut, but a widely used one.

Also you can work your way towards building up strength for the full F barre chord by moving that same shape up a few frets (playing say A at 5th fret), where the string tension's a bit lighter.

iamtaylor

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
I had to weigh in on the F chord.  I was introduced to that chord fairly early on in my lessons.  My instructor said (in his years of teaching) that the F chord is the one that causes a lot of students to quit.

Anyway, I have been taking lessons since October and I thought I would never get it to ring clearly - but it's much, much better than it was early on.  Just lots of practice.

Congrats on your 314 - I have a 114e and I'm wanting another one already - looking at used 614ce - it seems it never ends.

Have fun!
"ruin is the road to transformation"

mwedmonds

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
I just use a dehumidifier in my room at home where i store my guitars.  I would store them in your Taylor Hard case as well.  My dehumidifier has a digital setting so i can change it from 95% to 5% if I wanted to. It makes it too easy. Taylor also has those "symptoms of a wet/dry guitar" literature that lists what usually happens with each condition so you can keep an eye on your guitar.

gitgal

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
I am having challenges with the F chord, too, but I figure it will get better as I practice and learn.  I've started back  with lessons in March.